Blonde small girl in Buenos Aires. How dangerous will it be for me??

Alzinho said:
Me too, but if Johanna asks me really, really nicely I might agree to show her the delights of San Telmo one Sunday afternoon.

;) :p ;)

Not if I first stumble upon her and drag her to my place by pulling from her hair.
;)

Alzinho said:
GPWM.

They call me Che Pelotudo.....that's good right?

Probably not, though there are a few here who could well be described thus.:p

I think Johanna should be more afraid of you lot than the locals! Seriously!! ;)

Haha, I had a great laugh reading through all of your answers! Some were quite funny... Well I feel a lot more secure now, when I have read all what you think =) Thanks for so many replies!

I think it will be amazing anyhow! And I'm absolutely up for meeting you guys if you have some kind of gathering or like that. You seem like a laid-back (some of you kind of dangerous though ;) group of people!

mini said:
I think Johanna should be more afraid of you lot than the locals! Seriously!! ;)
As I warned on the first page!

You'll be fine Johanna - I look forward to meeting you when you get here.

:cool:

See... Johannasah..will be fine!!! she is a good judge of character!!!!....
She can already tell we are a laid back group...BUT kind of dangerous hahahaha

KatharineAnn said:
There are so many blonde people in this city that I don´t think you will stand out too much just for being blonde, unless you are like albino blonde, which maybe might stand out more :)

Europeans stand out more for their way of dressing and acting, and of course speaking in languages other than Spanish and hanging out in touristy neighborhoods! If you stay low-profile and don´t hang out always in Recoleta and Palermo, and speak in Spanish with people, I don´t think you should call too much attention. Although cat calls are a given, men don´t only cat call blondes here. They cat call anything female that walks on 2 legs. I´m not even sure either of these two is a pre-requisite!

Seriously though, you just get used to it. I wouldn´t worry about safety because you a blonde, but rather just because you are a woman, and women in general should take extra precaution when alone at night. During the day, you will be fine. Anyone who says you will not be safe during the day in almost any area of the city (excepting shanty towns of course, and the poor suburbs, but you shouldn´t have much reason to go to those places) is being overly paranoid. Now, at night, yes, I agree that taxis are preferable when alone, and should always be radio taxis.

Please don´t worry too much - I´ve met a number of scandinavian girls here, and they all loved it and none of them ever complained of feeling unsafe due to their appearance. And if you´re really afraid, well just dress like you´re poor and no one will give you too much trouble. The richer you look the better target you will be, that´s what I believe anyway...

Suerte!! I wish I could live in Barcelona! :)

My little blonde son has turned heads since Day 1 but as of his third year the old ladies are asking if I dye his hair or not - hello, 3 with highlights! As for you Ms. little petite Swedish blonde, I envy you of course and know from my stepson's girlfriend experience that any man from 15 - 80 will shout disgusting obscenities at you in the street if you are hot - blonde or not. As a mother of 2 wish I could wear a sign saying "don't eye me up or shout anything - I'm not on the market". I am an Arabic translator and have worked all over the Middle East and can swear that the innocence of say, Yemini men in the face of European blondness is to be much preferred over the pure aggression (and immaturity) of Argentine males any day. A blonde US girl in our office dyed her hair brown just to be able live unharassed - you are beautiful (photo at least) - I wish you good luck!

diosaarenosa said:
mini, gorda is a term of endearment, my mum has called me gorda since i was a kid. i think it's sweet.

'gorda' is like 'honey' or 'sweetheart'... has nothing to do with physical constitution :D

My daughter has beautiful red hair with (natural) blond highlights. She is 14 but looks 17 here (she is tall). On the streets, heads turn and men whistle. She says it's for me but I know it's for her ;) . She is absolutely ignorent and she is disgusted by it (well she is very young). I let her walk alone outside to shop (in the neighbourhood, 1 or 2 blocks), but as soon as it is getting dark, even when she is out with friends, she has to be inside, unless accompanied by an adult. She is not alowed to take taxis.

I think it would be the same if she had brown hair... (young) girls should not walk alone in the streets at night. Blond, brown or black, beautiful or ugly. Not here, but not in big cities in Europe and I suppose not in USA either.

katti said:
'gorda' is like 'honey' or 'sweetheart'... has nothing to do with physical constitution :D

I KNOW!!! my mum is argentine!
that is what i was alluding to with my post. it is indeed a term of endearment. :)))

Back