Blonde small girl in Buenos Aires. How dangerous will it be for me??

Alzinho said:
I think it was a very poor and inappropriate attempt at humour.

e2a: Yes, confirmed by the subsequent post.

it sure got you and diosaarenosa going didn't it?

citygirl said:
Um..I assume IFMGA is being tounge-in-cheek and suggesting a young woman took advantage of him in a taxi- hence the ;)

To the OP - seriously, you'll be fine. Take the same precautions you would anywhere. Yes, you will get cat calls and propositions on the street. So does every other woman btwn the ages of 12 and 50. It's not personal. In my experience, the only place I've ever had problems were in the clubs where men can get grabby. But on the street, it tends to be lots of leers and propositions but nothing else.

FWIW - I did wind up changing my hair color from my natural blonde to dark just to blend in. Not that I ever felt unsafe b/c I'm blonde, I just got tired of being called rubia, rubia, rubia all day long.

I should not worry too much about the names, here if you are black they call you Che Negro, fat they call you Che Gordo, Thin Che flaco you get the general idea. there is no PC here but no malice either.

tangobob said:
...here if you are black they call you Che Negro, fat they call you Che Gordo, Thin Che flaco you get the general idea. there is no PC here but no malice either.

GPWM.

They call me Che Pelotudo.....that's good right?

IFMGA said:
This is first hand information.....
I was raped repeatedly by a young morocha 2 weeks ago in the back of a radio taxi .....;)

you're pathetic. this is so not a laughing matter. this thread was started as a genuine request for help regarding safety in this city. i did suspect it to be a joke but discounted it because i thought that would be in really poor taste. oh well.

tangobob said:
I should not worry too much about the names, here if you are black they call you Che Negro, fat they call you Che Gordo, Thin Che flaco you get the general idea. there is no PC here but no malice either.

No one has dared call me gorda yet. They will get a smack!

mini said:
No one has dared call me gorda yet. They will get a smack!

mini, gorda is a term of endearment, my mum has called me gorda since i was a kid. i think it's sweet.

and it's not always accurate, in other words, you might get called gorda regardless, even if you're not (i'm not fat for example)

Alzinho said:
GPWM.

They call me Che Pelotudo.....that's good right?

Totally! :D

Now really, I'm argentine and kind of feel amazed of the level of fear, but I gotta respect you people. I will not come here and post "do not fear" :)
To the OP - You will be fine, if you walk straight with a badass look in your face, and put an angry face at whoever guys talks to you, you will just blend.

BTW, it may be true that blondes take a little more attraction at FIRST, but seriously, I really don't understand the concern. I personally like morochas a bit more in general. And it's not just me, a lot of people I know will go for the "morocha" in most scenarios. I think it's a matter of personal taste as much it is in any part of the world.

There are so many blonde people in this city that I don´t think you will stand out too much just for being blonde, unless you are like albino blonde, which maybe might stand out more :)

Europeans stand out more for their way of dressing and acting, and of course speaking in languages other than Spanish and hanging out in touristy neighborhoods! If you stay low-profile and don´t hang out always in Recoleta and Palermo, and speak in Spanish with people, I don´t think you should call too much attention. Although cat calls are a given, men don´t only cat call blondes here. They cat call anything female that walks on 2 legs. I´m not even sure either of these two is a pre-requisite!

Seriously though, you just get used to it. I wouldn´t worry about safety because you a blonde, but rather just because you are a woman, and women in general should take extra precaution when alone at night. During the day, you will be fine. Anyone who says you will not be safe during the day in almost any area of the city (excepting shanty towns of course, and the poor suburbs, but you shouldn´t have much reason to go to those places) is being overly paranoid. Now, at night, yes, I agree that taxis are preferable when alone, and should always be radio taxis.

Please don´t worry too much - I´ve met a number of scandinavian girls here, and they all loved it and none of them ever complained of feeling unsafe due to their appearance. And if you´re really afraid, well just dress like you´re poor and no one will give you too much trouble. The richer you look the better target you will be, that´s what I believe anyway...

Suerte!! I wish I could live in Barcelona! :)

billsfan said:
I personally like morochas a bit more in general.

Me too, but if Johanna asks me really, really nicely I might agree to show her the delights of San Telmo one Sunday afternoon.

;) :p ;)

Back