Blonde small girl in Buenos Aires. How dangerous will it be for me??

Johannasah

Registered
Hello everybody!

I'm new here so this will be my first post =) I thought that maybe you could help me with a question I have. I just got a job in Buenos Aires, with start from june. I've never been to Buenos Aires or any city/country in South america at all! I'm really looking forward to it but it's something that I was wondering about.

Right now I live in Barcelona, and the guys are very agressive and on me all the time. I mean, I am a small blonde swedish girl, from a small city originally, and I guess I am a very easy victim. I feel like the blonde hair has really been a bad thing here too... But in Barcelona it's ok for me to walk by myself at night, in most areas. Sure, I've had people touching me, trying to pull up my skirt etc... but I've never felt unsafe because I know the city and I know how to handle the situation here. I also speak spanish which I think have helped me a lot in that way here. But how dangerous is it to tell someone to get the f**k of if they are bothering/following you? I do it here, but I feel like that would be dangerous doing in Buenos Aires.

So I'm wondering, how will it be for me in Buenos Aires? Will it be possible for me walking alone even in the day? After all I have read about the city I'm feeling more and more insecure about that. And by night, is it a really bad idea walking by myself no matter where I am? And how should I handle those kind of situations? And maybe you have some own experience to share?

Sorry for blathering so much. Just thought it'd be better with some background info =) If you have any tips I'd be very grateful!

Johanna

Bring Pepper Spray. The type they use for bears.

Oppps, I forgot to mention, you need to speak to Soulskier, he is the guardian angel and protector of Small Blonde girls from Sweden.

It depends on where you are and if it is during the day, it is impossible to generalize imho. Where are you going to be staying?

Johannasah said:
I am a small blonde swedish girl
Well helloooooo!
The first thing to do is avoid all the ne'er-do-wells on this forum!
Except me....I'm really nice. ;)

But seriously, don't worry, there are a lot of blondes here - peroxide is the second biggest import, after pizza ingredients.*

If you're unsure about walking alone, especially at night, it shouldn't be too difficult to avoid - you'll make friends quickly enough. You're off to a great start having the advantage of speaking Spanish. And if you're earning a European level salary you'll be able to afford taxis if you do find yourself alone.

I'd say the most important thing to try and ensure before you get here is that your company doesn't organize somewhere for you to live in La Boca or Constitucion or somewhere similarly 'dangerous' (if they are organizing it?). But I'm guessing that's unlikely! If you have to organize your own accommodation go for somewhere near where you're going to be working.

Look out for meet-ups organized on this forum when you get here!

* I may have made that bit up.

Easy

Taylor-Gifts-Cepillo-tintura.jpg

....and that's it. ;)

About a year ago I had a friend (a guy) from Barcelona living here telling me how shocked he was at how blondes (fake and real) got so much attention here. He also disliked the fact that guys were a lot more aggressive here than in Spain, in fact, he recalled a story where he almost got into a fight at a club because a guy grabbed a girl by the hair just to get her attention. He said that would never happen in Spain, and while grabbing by the hair is a little unusual here, pulling girls by their hands or even holding their faces to force them to kiss is pretty normal at clubs. There is a big difference between Argentinian blondes and scandinavian blondes, and Porteños can easily tell. So, the fact that there are plenty of blondes here won't make you fit in at all.

But I don't think that has anything to do with crime. Yes, you will look like a foreigner for sure, but you'll be just as exposed as anybody else who looks like a foreigner. I suggest you move to a safe area and take cabs initially until you get familiar with the area. I know a blonde Swiss girl living in La Boca for over 3 years and nothing bad has ever happened to her, and she takes the bus everyday to work.

A few friends of mine were invited to TV to speak about why they love Buenos Aires and want to live here. In the first few minutes, you will see Heleen talk about guys in Argentina. It is sadly funny and truthful:

http://www.tn.com.ar/2010/04/26/sociedad/02188057.html?s=2

So, be prepared to change numbers many times...

Johannasah said:
Hello everybody!

I'm new here so this will be my first post =) I thought that maybe you could help me with a question I have. I just got a job in Buenos Aires, with start from june. I've never been to Buenos Aires or any city/country in South america at all! I'm really looking forward to it but it's something that I was wondering about.

Right now I live in Barcelona, and the guys are very agressive and on me all the time. I mean, I am a small blonde swedish girl, from a small city originally, and I guess I am a very easy victim. I feel like the blonde hair has really been a bad thing here too... But in Barcelona it's ok for me to walk by myself at night, in most areas. Sure, I've had people touching me, trying to pull up my skirt etc... but I've never felt unsafe because I know the city and I know how to handle the situation here. I also speak spanish which I think have helped me a lot in that way here. But how dangerous is it to tell someone to get the f**k of if they are bothering/following you? I do it here, but I feel like that would be dangerous doing in Buenos Aires.

So I'm wondering, how will it be for me in Buenos Aires? Will it be possible for me walking alone even in the day? After all I have read about the city I'm feeling more and more insecure about that. And by night, is it a really bad idea walking by myself no matter where I am? And how should I handle those kind of situations? And maybe you have some own experience to share?

Sorry for blathering so much. Just thought it'd be better with some background info =) If you have any tips I'd be very grateful!

Johanna

Alzinho said:
And if you're earning a European level salary you'll be able to afford taxis if you do find yourself alone
flyfreely said:
I suggest you move to a safe area and take cabs initially until you get familiar with the area. I know a blonde Swiss girl living in La Boca for over 3 years and nothing bad has ever happened to her, and she takes the bus everyday to work.
Please do not recommend girls and women to take taxis or remis by themselves, if you read other posts and the local news papers you would know that is VERY unsafe. The bus would be much safer since there is other people around.

A beautiful blonde Swedish girl...... well it might be dangerous if you visit my place!!!... hahaha I had to joke with you....
but seriously..... I think an attractive blonde girl will get more hard looks and cat calls... but I think you have to be careful at night.... find people to go out..... go out with another girl or a group of people..... maybe pepper spray isnt a bad idea..... but I would think Spain is similar to what you will find here...... but I bet many of the Women in this forum can be of more help..
well good luck to you be safe and have a great time!!!! If you are doing ok in Spain I think you will do Ok here!!!! cheers steve

Hmm, I have been worrying about what my petisero (groom - yes I know the word doesn't exist in Spanish) will do during the winter months, when my horses are relaxing in the campo. Can I offer him to you as a bodyguard? No one will try and lift your skirt when they see an old gaucho with a big knife stuffed down the front of his trousers - and he has a Ford Falcon, the most emblematic though ancient car here, to drive you around in!

Back