Borders remain closed

So now we're seeing a strong and sudden rise in infections which I credit to our own behavior and a false sense that 'things are getting better' coupled with the warm and pleasant days and nights - perfect for getting out and about, lowering the masks at outdoor tables, grouping up and wherever.
It amazes me when I pass restaurants and cafes perfectly well set up for outdoor service, yet the tables are largely unoccupied and people are happily sitting inside chatting away without masks like the good old days were back.

That said, I remain impressed at the level of adherence to mask-wearing on the street. Unfortunately, that is where we are all at less risk. Things are upside down.

I was at a very upmarket and busy café in Palermo the other day and was shocked to see the at least four staff members working behind the bar, making coffees and preparing food in the open kitchen, not wearing masks while joking around and conversing with one another. The airconditioning inside was also on full, despite not being a hot day.

Likewise, more cabs are removing the plastic dividers. Public transport is becoming crowded as anyone and everyone uses it. Nightclubs are crowded and enclosed. Assados and other gatherings are becoming riskier and riskier in terms of behavior. Frankly, Argentina needs to get its own house in order before trying to deflect all the attention on to foreigners and those few thousand arriving from foreign countries -- all of them can easily be tested and managed making them a much lower risk, unlike the millions of restaurant, bar, bus and assado goers. This kind of government speech and attention only serves to make Argentines think that Argentina is better and safer than it actually is and thus disregards basic precautions.

Last edited:

Here is the coverage of the official announcement. More details may emerge once it is published.
  • Measures take effect from 25DEC20 until 08JAN21 (likely to be extended)
  • All travelers must have a negative PCR test result within 72 hours of boarding a flight (or crossing a land or sea border) to Argentina
  • All travelers must comply with a 7 day quarantine on arrival in Argentina
  • Land and river/ sea crossings closed to tourists from neighboring countries - only Argentine citizens and residents may use them
  • All flights to/ from UK, Italy, Denmark, Netherlands and Australia prohibited (E.g. No BA flights, no KLM flights, no Alitalia flights)
Fortunately, foreigners with prior approval from DNM will continue to be permitted provided the above criteria is met (e.g. those permitted by law, for reasons such as visiting an Argentine resident family member)

Here is the coverage of the official announcement. More details may emerge once it is published.
  • All travelers must have a negative PCR test result within 72 hours of boarding a flight (or crossing a land or sea border) to Argentina
  • Land and river/ sea crossings closed to tourists from neighboring countries - only Argentine citizens and residents may use them
  • All flights to/ from UK, Italy, Denmark, Netherlands and Australia prohibited (E.g. No BA flights, no KLM flights, no Alitalia flights)
Fortunately, foreigners with prior approval from DNM will continue to be permitted provided the above criteria is met (e.g. those permitted by law, for reasons such as visiting an Argentine resident family member)

Also, the "piloto" that allowed citizens/residents from neighboring countries to enter is suspended.
And finally, if you live in CABA you will be tested at arrival in EZE (either PCR or test rapido -- some folks get "lucky" and isopados y otros no).
P.S. It's funny they are suspending flights from Australia haha. What flights?

What about direct relatives... it states previous authorization.. does that mean I need an official letter from them or do they mean through the authorization previously given less than a month ago.. I still present at the airport? Or am I SOL?

What about direct relatives... it states previous authorization.. does that mean I need an official letter from them or do they mean through the authorization previously given less than a month ago.. I still present at the airport? Or am I SOL?
If there is a way for you to arrive before 25 Dec. Do it. If not just fingers cross. I do think they will keep letting relatives in. But you will be required to quarantine. They never checked on anyone I've known but technically you'll be required to quarantine.

Primero, el Gobierno dispuso dos nuevos requisitos obligatorios para todos aquellos que ingresen a la Argentina desde el exterior (sean residentes o no): deberán contar con un estudio PCR negativo realizado en las 72 horas previas al vuelo (caso contrario, deberán hacerlo en Ezeiza) y, una vez en el país, deberán cumplir con una cuarentena de siete días. La medida se extenderá hasta el 8 de enero.

Caso contrario? If you can't board a plane without a PCR, what 'caso contrario' the morons are talking about???

Primero, el Gobierno dispuso dos nuevos requisitos obligatorios para todos aquellos que ingresen a la Argentina desde el exterior (sean residentes o no): deberán contar con un estudio PCR negativo realizado en las 72 horas previas al vuelo (caso contrario, deberán hacerlo en Ezeiza) y, una vez en el país, deberán cumplir con una cuarentena de siete días. La medida se extenderá hasta el 8 de enero.

Caso contrario? If you can't board a plane without a PCR, what 'caso contrario' the morons are talking about???
My understanding is that if you are Argentine or resident you do NOT need a PCR to fly (until 8 Jan). So if you arrive and have no PCR done in past 72hs, they will test you at the airport (you health insurance will cover the cost...allegedly).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read that if you can't or don't get the pcr test before flying to Argentina, you can do the saliva test in Ezeiza.

Back