Brazilian Visa. US citizen

steveinbsas said:
Did you mean you left your passport with them for several days,

If that's the case this is another good reason to make color copies of the photo and signature pages of your passport and have them laminated (back to back).

They just replicate the process to apply for a US visa. The American consulate also keeps the passports a couple of days to print the visa and then it's delivered to your house.

cuore said:
They just replicate the process to apply for a US visa. The American consulate also keeps the passports a couple of days to print the visa and then it's delivered to your house.

I still like the idea of making the color copies of the photo and signature pages and having them laminated...unless it's illegal to do so.

I think that you need flight tickets; a reservation can be cancelled. Once they asked me for the telephone number of the hotel ! They people are ''pure charm''.

steveinbsas said:
Did you mean you left your passport with them for several days

With every visa I've gotten for multiple countries, I've had to leave my passport at the consulate for at least 24 hours. SOP as far as I know.

They have (or at least used to have until recently) same day service for visas at the Brazilian consulate in Puerto Iguazu. You have to drop off your passport, application, photos and fee in the morning and pick them up before they close in the afternoon. Search the forum here for "iguazu visa" for more info.

Except that I believe the visa you can obtain in Iguazu is not the same as the multi-year/multi-entry visa you can obtain at the consulate in BA even though the cost is just as high. If you only plan to visit Brazil once perhaps this will not be important to you.

amyostrander said:
Thanks for all of the info. So this is what I need
A bank statement
Hotel Reservations
Flight Reservation
Passport photos
Application.

Does anyone know where I can get passport photos? I live in Palermo Soho.

You can get passport size photos at many places, I live near Scalabrini and Cabello and there is a Kodak/Digital image place just up the road (Cabello). I would keep an eye out in your area as no doubt they exist there also.

I didn't get a passport photo but I got a 4x4 photo for our immigration paperwork at a local Kodak stand. The one I used was in Palermo Chico but others will work fine.

Things changed a bit in Iguazu. We just got back, I went into the consulate with a buddy of mine from PA, the Brazilian employee insisted he understood both English and Spanish. First we tried English and realized he hardly spoke any at all so we switched to Spanish and found the couldn't explain anything in that language either. He finally handed us a printed list that included additional requirements:
- bank statement demonstrating that you wouldn't have issues supporting yourself. There were no parameters to clarify this vague requirement, I have no idea what the minimum balance is.
- round trip tickets and hotel reservartion. I explained that we were driving, that I lived in Argentina and had driven to Iguazu and was planning to drive into Brazil. He kept pointing to the bullet in the list insisting that we still needed tickets and a hotel booking.
- Not on the printed list, but he also managed to explain that I'd need to provide my DNI.
- Photocopies of key passport pages including the page showing your most recent entry stamp for coming into Argentina.

Quite a pain-in-the-ass, no way to print out bank statements from our iPads and neither of us were about to log into our banks using the computers in the hotel lobby or a random locutorio, so we passed on Brazil this time around. Doubly frustrating because I spoke with our hotel's concierge several weeks ago and she contacted the consulate who provided her with a list that did not include the items above.

Back