Buenos Aires Changing

Another thing that has gone into the sewer is Calle Ortiz in front of the Recoleta cemetery. That used to have the best restaurats in town. Now most are tourist traps and the street looks like hell. Munich and La Biela are about all that remain top quality.
Very true, a few years ago, those tourists trap restaurants are OK to dine, now they are just 100% traps. One of the " Italian" restaurant
pretty much serves dog food.

I have been away from here almost two years. I am sitting on my balcony pondering what has changed.
The streets are quieter, especially the collectivos. The sidewalks are slowly improving, but still need a lot of work.
The prices are about the same in dollars, but wine is still a bargain, no matter how large the local currency fluctuations.
I bought this place about 25 years ago, when the Austral was suffering from inflation and everyone wanted dollars. That has not changed.
However I was not happy with sloppy wiring and plumbing and that is improving, and codes are being enforced better than before.
Calle Florida has really gone down hill! What was once a tourist showcase is really a mess. I am ashamed to take my friends there.
The City Tour bus is very good, a great idea!
Do you think your apartment value goes up in dollars ?
If you invest in China 5 years ago on apartment, you would get 500% return.

Very true, a few years ago, those tourists trap restaurants are OK to dine, now they are just 100% traps. One of the " Italian" restaurant
pretty much serves dog food.

When I came to BA over 20 years ago this street was the premier dining area. Then it went to Puerto Madero, then Las Canitas, then the new Palermo etc. Calle Ortiz never recovered. Munich is still a fine traditonal restaurant, though and La Biela is the best all around tradirional cafe that is frequented by Argentnes and not just tourtists like the dreary Tortoni (desperately in need of restoration).

When I came to BA over 20 years ago this street was the premier dining area. Then it went to Puerto Madero, then Las Canitas, then the new Palermo etc. Calle Ortiz never recovered. Munich is still a fine traditonal restaurant, though and La Biela is the best all around tradirional cafe that is frequented by Argentnes and not just tourtists like the dreary Tortoni (desperately in need of restoration).

I still love the Tortoni, even though I rarely go there. I like La Biela but, living near the Botánico and the Zoológico, I don't really need to go to Recoleta, which I don't particularly care for.

The sidewalks are slowly improving, but still need a lot of work.
The prices are about the same in dollars, but wine is still a bargain, no matter how large the local currency fluctuations.
I bought this place about 25 years ago, when the Austral was suffering from inflation and everyone wanted dollars. That has not changed.

Are these the slowly improving sidewalks you're referring to? They're improving at the rate of a snail. These photos were taken in only a two block radius in front of a shopping mall.

https://picasaweb.go...sAiresSidewalks

My barrio is cleaner. More people are recycling.
But if you insist the world is ending, there is always evidence.

I get better customer service in Buenos Aires than I do in Seattle, but maybe I am just lucky.
Where I live in the USA, inflation is officially non-existent, and in reality quite real and present. Salaries do not increase, period, even "diminutively" And crime is MUCH worse. Shootouts on the main street in major US cities, weekly.

anyway, a couple of other things that have changed for the better-

Beer- when I first started going to Buenos Aires, you had a great choice of beer- Quilmes, or Quilmes.
Now, in many stores, including my various neighborhood chinos, there is argentine microbrewery varieties, and, in specialty stores, quite a variety of brands and types of decent beer.
And in good restaurants, they are actually starting to offer better beers. It used to be you would be offered 40 varieties of wine, and one choice of cerveza- which could be Quilmes or Isenbeck or Steinlager- the waiter wouldnt even know which one they had today.

Bread- bread used to be one step above Wonder Bread. Hell- you cant even buy bread that bad in the US anymore- Wonder Bread is out of business. Now, there are a wide variety of decent bakeries in BsAs, with good bread.

I hope your neighborhood in Buenos Aires is cleaner and has better sidewalks than the one in the photos, which are absolutely disgusting, filthy and completely embarrassing.

I still love the Tortoni, even though I rarely go there. I like La Biela but, living near the Botánico and the Zoológico, I don't really need to go to Recoleta, which I don't particularly care for.

It's an historic building of architectural interest but very badly in need of restoration. I find it tacky and depressing. The endless parade of tourists must be making the owners very rich.

It's an historic building of architectural interest but very badly in need of restoration. I find it tacky and depressing. The endless parade of tourists must be making the owners very rich.

It still looks good inside, but the facade is admittedly drab.

Back