Buenos Aires Needs A Red Light Zone

Taking you line of thought, Tex, shouldn't we ban all clothes from Asia (children get exploited) and prosecute everyone who is buying them?

Taking you line of thought, Tex, shouldn't we ban all clothes from Asia (children get exploited) and prosecute everyone who is buying them?

Of course not. Puritanic outrage is only reserved for "sins of the flesh."

Say, .. somehow privates were successfully eradicated.

Then ideally (puritanically), what should single people be doing (women & men with no partners)?

(Aside from hanging themselves in a loft)

Because if we go along with your idea of criminalizing prostitution we need to know what's next on the agenda.

So I'd like your opinion: Are you in favor of making abortion illegal, even for cases of incest and rape?

Look, I'm not afraid to give my opinion. Abortion is of course a horrible thing that should be avoided if possible, but it's a woman's right. And I think it is a reprehensible injustice to force a woman to have a baby born from rape or incest.

Joe, I gave my answers to your questions in another forum so you are welcome to look at that and see what I believe and why I believe it.

Say, .. somehow privates were successfully eliminated.

Then ideally (puritanically), what should single people be doing (women & men with no partners)?

(Aside from hanging themselves in a loft)

Look, I don't expect people to share what I think about sex. But you don't HAVE to have sex. It is something you can exercise control over. I know that sounds crazy, but that doesn't make what I'm saying about prostitutes crazy. People are seriously getting taken advantage of, and something has got to be done. If anyone on this forum is going to prostitutes (and I'm not implying you) and reading this, then please be aware that you may in fact be having sex with someone who does not want to be there.

Look, I don't expect people to share what I think about sex. But you don't HAVE to have sex. It is something you can exercise control over. I know that sounds crazy, but that doesn't make what I'm saying about prostitutes crazy. People are seriously getting taken advantage of, and something has got to be done. If anyone on this forum is going to prostitutes (and I'm not implying you) and reading this, then please be aware that you may in fact be having sex with someone who does not want to be there.

On this point I agree, being single is not an excuse to contribute to the exploitation which prohibition creates.

I think child exploitation should be made illegal, and am also quite outraged at this abuse, the fact that our clothes are often made by people that are de facto slaves. If I could fix that one, then I would do it too. I'm not sure you should prosecute people who buy clothes (unless it's a business who knowingly did that), but I don't really see that as a valid comparison to prostitution in Argentina. But if I knew the clothes I am buying were produced by children, then I probably wouldn't buy them, although of course it's quite possible that I've done that in the past without realizing it. I'm not sure the two examples line up precisely.

No, I think the Christian right would say the prostitutes should be put in jail. I do in fact think that creationism should be allowed to be taught in schools, yes. I also do not support the Christian right in the area of violence. I am a pacifist and do not believe anyone should ever have a weapon to kill, either in the military, or personally.

I find it very funny that you oppose slavery which is clearly condoned in the Bible : http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=leviticus%2025:44-25:46&version=ESV

Yet you believe verbatim the bible's interpretation of how the earth was created to the extent that you condone it being taught in schools as fact.

I don't mean to be rude, but if I were you I would think more critically about which aspects of the book I choose to interpret literally and which ones I do not.

I read the first 8 pages of this topic, skimmed through the rest. Instead of posting a long thought out essay on what I believe to be morally correct, or what should be done about the issue, about the times I took the 130 bus through the bosques, or about the time a travesti stole my cell phone on a street in Palermo (funnily enough, when I realized what had happened and I demanded it back, she gave it back, that was nice) I'll offer something I haven't seen in this thread yet:

A lot, if not most of the people here, are comparing statistics about sex trade in Argentina with sex trade in Europe, Canada, USA, etc. To put it into perspective, lets keep things local. I'm not going to quote, but I read someone say something like 'most women in Argentina are forced into prostitution'. This is probably true, but there's a HUGE difference in this matter as in most between Capital Federal and the interior of the country. In my opinion, that's where the real problem is. Personally, I think some sort of regulation in the city would benefit everyone. But when we're talking about sex trafficking, while it does happen in Capital Federal, for the most part that happens in the interior.

Reactions: Joe
Back