Building A Living Quarter In Argentina

Well, the US$100k was posted as a reference only. It could go higher of course and but really wanting to have least close to hectare of land 'cause like to cultivate for agro produce and working the land. Being a nipponese, like the smell of dirt touch and feel.

Well, the US$100k was posted as a reference only. It could go higher of course and but really wanting to have least close to hectare of land 'cause like to cultivate for agro produce and working the land. Being a nipponese, like the smell of dirt touch and feel.

Of course one hectare is twice as much land as you mentioned in you first post and the price will increase either a little or a great deal, depending on the location.

Frenchie made a very important point about security.

When I arrived in 2006 I found several quintas in the area near Tigre that looked very nice, but was advised against buying and living there due to lack of security.

If you find a property in a "gated" community you will have to pay monthly expenses/fees in addition to utilities, taxes, etc. There may also be restrictions on how extensively you would be "allowed" to work the land.

You could buy an older (but well maintained) house with one hectare of land (with mature trees) near me for less than $100K USD. You could do almost anything you want with the land, but you might not enjoy living here as much as I do, 650 KM from the Capital.

Of course one hectare is twice as much land as you mentioned in you first post and the price will increase either a little or a great deal, depending on the location.

Frenchie made a very important point about security.

When I arrived in 2006 I found several quintas in the area near Tigre that looked very nice, but was advised against buying and living there due to lack of security.

If you find a property in a "gated" community you will have to pay monthly expenses/fees in addition to utilities, taxes, etc. There may also be restrictions on how extensively you would be "allowed" to work the land.

You could buy an older (but well maintained) house with one hectare of land (with mature trees) near me for less than $100K USD. You could do almost anything you want with the land, but you might not enjoy living here as much as I do, 650 KM from the Capital.

Oh, those gated collectivists!

Ajok, go away !
Iam corresponding with an intectual named _steveinbsas_ Your parents must be crying in despair, the sacrifices they made to send you to Berkeley and seen you the way you are acting.! Splendid education wasted......But still, you can repent, never too late thy LoL is there for you,seek help....

_You could buy an older (but well maintained) house with one hectare of land (with mature trees) near me for less than $100K USD. You could do almost anything you want with the land, but you might not enjoy living here as much as I do, 650 KM from the Capital._

OK, I have to visit a few places when I get there, Yes, Frenchies-san's advise sounding very correct. Do you take announced visitors ?

_Coincidence but the first house I rented in Del Viso was 200 meters away from that one.
It's on a dirt road, neighbours go from average middle class to lower middle class.
The train station (direct to Retiro) is 3 min away walking (Manuel Alberti), and since it's almost the start of the line, you're guaranteed a seat if you go to Retiro.
Police station is 5 mins away but security could be an issue (if you don't have dogs).

For 50.000 USD more, you can get a bigger house in a gated community in Del Viso_
=================================================================================

Frenchie-san, Very helpful suggestions above. Would lke to visit and smell the land and trees in the surroundings.
I always had a few furry friends around me. Keeshonds, Akitas, Shibas. If living there in AR, may even add a few Pit Bulls as well !

The greatest concern about living in a quinta anywhere in the county is security. Dogs may not be enough.

Unless you have a human being there 24/7 your property could quickly become a target for thieves.

And if you ever have employees you will also be a target for lawsuits.

The previous owners of my property were sued and the $80K peso judgement delayed the escritura by ten months.

Frenchie-san, Very helpful suggestions above. Would lke to visit and smell the land and trees in the surroundings.
I always had a few furry friends around me. Keeshonds, Akitas, Shibas. If living there in AR, may even add a few Pit Bulls as well !

I can show you around if you come by.

Nevertheless, if I was looking for one hectare near Capital, I'd likely go in the Partido de la Exaltacion de la Cruz (check Steve's link above), and more precisely the area around Capilla del Senor. It's a lovely place, authentic, about 1 hour drive to the Bs As (if no traffic). Prices are still quite cheap in this area.

Also, when buying a piece of land to grow vegetables, make sure there are no constructions around that have used barro (mud), because likely the superficial soil was scraped to make this mud (the most fertile layer). A cubic meter of tierra negra is quite expensive.

Nevertheless, if I was looking for one hectare near Capital, I'd likely go in the Partido de la Exaltacion de la Cruz (check Steve's link above), and more precisely the area around Capilla del Senor. It's a lovely place, authentic, about 1 hour drive to the Bs As (if no traffic). Prices are still quite cheap in this area.

In the past few years I've seen listings for a few very nice looking quintas (on line) around Capilla del Senor. and thought the prices were reasonable if not actually "cheap" (as Frenchie says).

Here's the link (again) to the one I found this morning: http://www.remax.com...te_420251040-14

I'm sure you will find others in the various real estate web sites.

I'm currently scouting for lots with plans to build a steel framed "en seco", I don't know that buying is always the best option as opposed to building...sorry Steve (yes, building using "Argentina Traditional" tech can be loooooong and make you crazy, but you can find companies that will use more modern techniques and material for around 8-10K pesos /square meter.
One of my primary concerns besides security is flooding. I've passed up many potential finds with promising price-tags in areas that are prone to (or have shown to be affected by) flooding.
Consider the general elevation, specific topographical characteristics, and proximity to any other pain-in-the-ass situations that would render your home uninhabitable and/or not covered by insurance (ie: chemical plant near by explodes, next door neighbor has a used tire collection and chain smokes, etc).

Back