Business Partner Wanted for new (licensed – upscale) Vegetarian Cafe Bar

Thecontractman said:
thanks Davidglen77 for the advices ... and indeed my local BsAs Attorney LAURENCE P. WIENER and I were just discussing these exact type of issues.. Laurence is actually an expat who has been practicing down here for many years and has vast knowledge & experience in this area.. so I feel I am in safe and capable hands ... his website will give you a flavour of his capabilities and transparency http://www.wsclegal.com (not a plug, just helpful advice for readers)... something that was somewhat lacking with my 2 x previous local counsels.. thanks again

I wouldn't trust any lawyer in Argentina any farther than I could kick his balls.

(I just hope his wiener doesn't get in the way.)

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!

steveinbsas said:
Oh, what a pity if I missed my chance. I've been there and I love that bridge. I really wanted to own it. Perhaps I can get a contract for a manly food concession nearby.

EXCELLENT return sir ;) lol

Hello

Ignoring attempts to publically bring you down, then your lawyer too, I actually think you are sitting on a super idea. I understand your reason for wanting an Argentine partner and good lawyer too.

I know a number of people here who are in the similar sort of business and some who are managing and working in the restaurants in some of the finest hotels in BA. Last night I was at the Dior new fragrance party at the Four Seasons' Mansion, and my friend provided all the food for the event and it was truly incredible. I will forward your details on to those I know, I', sure they would be happy to meet with you and discuss.

Oh - by the way, and maybe a big by the way. I worked for two years as a chef at the vegetarian restaurant Vanilla Black in Tooks Court, London. Given your background you will know of it - Michelin starred, Time Out number 1 etc etc. Interesting how our paths have crossed. I'm private messaging you now to get you contact details so we can arrange to meet.

OK contractman - I'm going to sit on the fence here (something not normal for me)
1) I admire your ganas to do something positive - start a nice restaurant etc - and I'm sure you have lots of experience with this - I have no reason to doubt this - and good luck to you............but
2) Every comment you have received on this forum (sarcastic or not) is TOTALLY TRUE. From your original mail it's obvious that you have no experience living here in BA. I hate to be negative about BA, but truth is - it's hard as hell to live here as an expat let alone set up a business - and a bar/restaurant - well you've got 2 hopes and the 1st is Bob! I think you should visit the owners of Sugar or other expat bars here - and observe if they still have hair and sanity - they have had it hard from the authorities. BA offers a lot of cool things culturally, socially etc - but business for foreigners - it aint in the top 100.

Despite the negativity you've received - sorry mate - it's all spot on - 100% true - and you need to take heed, before you lose all your money and sanity

Thecontractman said:
thanks Davidglen77 for the advices ... and indeed my local BsAs Attorney LAURENCE P. WIENER and I were just discussing these exact type of issues.. Laurence is actually an expat who has been practicing down here for many years and has vast knowledge & experience in this area.. so I feel I am in safe and capable hands ... his website will give you a flavour of his capabilities and transparency http://www.wsclegal.com (not a plug, just helpful advice for readers)... something that was somewhat lacking with my 2 x previous local counsels.. thanks again

I don't think English is your first language thecontractman

you thank Davidglen77 for the "advices" and your lawyer is looking into "these" exact types of issues.....
then you go on to mix up the american and british english spellings of practicing(us) and flavour(brit)

Maybe they are just typos but where are you from?
You will need to give some more details on your background if you want anyone to take your seriously.

Hello
Ignoring attempts to publically bring you down, I actually think you're sitting on a super idea. I understand your reason for needing an Argentine investor/partner too.

I know a number of people here who are in the similar sort of business and some who are managing and working in the restaurants of some of the finest hotels in BA. In fact I was at an incredible party last night at the Four Seasons Mansion for the release of a new Dior perfume which a friend provided very special food for. I will forward your details on to those I know, I'm sure they would be happy to meet with you to discuss.

Oh by the way, and maybe a big by the way, I worked for two years as a chef at the vegetarian restaurant Vanilla Black in Tooks Court, London. Given your background you will know of it - Time out number 1, Michelin starred etc etc. Incredible our paths have crossed! I'm private messaging you now to get contact details so we can arrange to meet.

Failing that, there is still some of those share of the Sydney Harbour Bridges that is available to them first 100 lucky investors :) lol (Sorry - couldn't help it - I think its the fact that the cidre and beer has run out and I'm now on the Mistela :) lol

A public forum is the last place I would go looking for a partner in business.
Yes, this forum is public in the sense that anyone can view posts as a guest.
Maybe I would throw a few salient details on the table and insist on total privacy afterwards like PM's etc to keep the initial proposal professional.
I hope Mr Contract Man makes a success of his venture and manages to overcome the difficulties of habilitacion and all the other painful red tape associated with it, as many of us have had to do.
I am left wondering however, why he should need a partner in the first place since he is so 'successful'.
In my experience, business partnerships are forged in hell and usually end in tears and worse.
I'd rather carry the can for my own failure or ineptitude than someone else's.

scotttswan said:
I don't think English is your first language thecontractman

you thank Davidglen77 for the "advices" and your lawyer is looking into "these" exact types of issues.....
then you go on to mix up the american and british english spellings of practicing(us) and flavour(brit)

Maybe they are just typos but where are you from?
You will need to give some more details on your background if you want anyone to take your seriously.

I noticed that as well. Excellent English, but definitely not a native speaker (advices, "a flavour into his transparencies," "fair few friends," missing indefinite articles.) Which certainly isn't a bad thing, but I do think that disclosing nation of origin/background would be relevant in this situation.

Hello all,

I'm reading this thread from a slightly different perspective, having met and worked with Paul in the past and gotten to know him reasonably well. Perhaps his tone is best taken with a pinch of salt, but his background should be taken seriously. He is a proven businessman, who has been extremely successful in a wide range of sectors - not least those he's already mentioned (granted, rather defensively).

I agree that an online forum might not be the best place to have an open debate about the details of a business proposal, but it's an apt place for making initial contact with expats/Argentines who might be interested in going into business with an expat. Which is, after all, all the original post was about - hence the vague outline of a proposal and the leaving of an email address. The decision to scrutinize and pick at it (for what aim, I don't know - if someone has 50k going spare in the current climate then they probably don't need someone to ask these sorts of questions on their behalf) has just drawn the poor guy into a sisyphean cycle of defamation and self defence. What are people commenting for anyway? It's clear that he was treating the forum as a bulletin board. He's not going into business with everyone on here. If you don't think much of it then you can ignore it, and if you're interested, get in contact like he asked. There's no need for the Dragons' Den nonsense.

Don't get me wrong, I love an e-lynching, me. I'd say I spend about half my waking life poised over my keyboard, waiting for a typo or a grammatical error I can pick up and beat someone with. But knowing the fella involved* and knowing that I'd just be getting in the way of a fair and genuine call for offers of interest (not a fully-fledged partnership contract, as some people are treating it) in an on-the-face-of-it, decent idea for a business, leaves me feeling a bit flaccid for this one.

As I say, I'm coming at it from the perspective of someone that knows and trusts Paul. Perhaps if I wasn't, then I'd have exactly the same reservations as you. But regardless of how you approach this, the truth is that those reservations aren't really worth sharing unless you plan to go into business with him.

Or perhaps this is just me not wanting to slow down the opening of a restaurant which offers a 'vegetarian' option beyond 'ensalada', 'papas fritas' or... erm... 'pollo'?

*Despite the errors, he's Scottish, by the way - although there's still some debate as to whether that would legitimately qualify him as an English speaker

Back