Buying A Used Car,and The Legalities?

One problem with doing all the title stuff yourself is making sure the title is really clear. The car dealerships like Rich One mentions do it all for you. It was my experience when buying mine that I couldn't really find any better deal from a private person (at least on average) than I could from a dealership, unlike in the States where the difference can be huge. But at a reputable dealer you can be sure the car you get will be all yours.

I ended up buying mine from a Renault dealership on Cordoba near Callo (not Callao) that sold both new and used cars. Had no problems whatsoever.

Plenty of fake titles and twin car titles around, if you buy a stolen vehicle, you will be part of the investigation and need to go to court? many times? for $500 peso difference go to a Dealership

ok thanks all. Yes think its a wise choice to go through a dealer although , it also gives us a chance to part exchange ours even though we get less for our money its probably alot safer and less stressful.

Story so far....

Found a 2011 Honda cr-v to buy a few weeks ago, but woman wanted $100,000 deposit so she can buy a new ford thats waiting for her at the dealers. We told her we had to sell our car first. We found a dealer same day to buy ours, he said he needed 48 hours as hes waiting for some cash. 48 hours later , he kept saying "let you know later", "manana",etc. Turned out he didnt want our car after all but couldnt say so.Waste of time.
Put our car in the newspaper for the sunday. Unfortunatly the newspaper printed our telephone number wrong, so had to wait until wednesday, they gave us the following sunday for free.Had 3 people view our car. Had 2 verbal offers. Went with the best offer on the saturday, said we`d sort out the papers on monday. Went monday morning to
get the registration papers,etc. Monday lunchtime, phoned the buyer to do the deal only to be told he`d found another car. Waste of time. Phoned the other person who put in a offer. He too had found another car.
Woman with the CR-V was now really pissed off as she`d lost her new car with the delays, she had 3 offers including ours and nobody came up with the money.
We went to look at another Black CR-V , it was $15,000 pesos more, a year older and needs 4 new types. He said its that price because all the new cr-v`s are about to go up in price with the new tax (that hasnt been agreed yet). Told him it was $30,000 pesos too high and left.
Tuesday, found another buyer for our car. He said he can wait until we find a new car as its for his wife coming in the new year and offers a deposit. He also said he knew someone with a CR-V and he`ll come round and show us it. Turns out it was the same Black CR-V we had seen but now was $5,000 pesos more but was another guy selling it!?
Now the original CR-V owner said shes travelling on Saturday to find a new car and if we have the cash can buy her car next week. So fingers cross we can get cash for our car early next week. In the meantime, my wife is getting txt messages from our buyer saying what nice eyes she has, hope she had a beautiful evening and also wants to send her chocolates and a teddy bear for offering him some advice about school. :eek: :eek: WTF!

let me ask all of you professional car folks.. look at the following quote.. is it realistic.. high low .. on the money thank you

2011 Chevrolet Corsa Classic.

Info:
One owner
Gas
Manual
4 doors - GL - Base
Light Silver color
Shy of 13,000 km
Asking: US$6,000

The car is in mint condition. Patentes are up-to-date and no traffic tickets. The dealership has been servicing this car for maintenance every year. Last time was yesterday. Everything is in excellent condition.

In all of your greastest humble opinion if this is indeed a true offer which I certainly believe it it at this hour.. i would like to understand what any and all of you have to say about the offer and whether it is most useful to me or not

many thanks

splaying

let me ask all of you professional car folks.. look at the following quote.. is it realistic.. high low .. on the money thank you

Info:
One owner
Gas
Manual
4 doors - GL - Base
Light Silver color
Shy of 13,000 km

The car is in mint condition. Patentes are up-to-date and no traffic tickets. The dealership has been servicing this car for maintenance every year. Last time was yesterday. Everything is in excellent condition.

In all of your greastest humble opinion if this is indeed a true offer which I certainly believe it it at this hour.. i would like to understand what any and all of you have to say about the offer and whether it is most useful to me or not

many thanks

splaying

You can buy a brand new 2014 0km Chevrolet Corsa Classic for 95,500 pesos, which is about $8300 USD. In my opinion, why buy someone else's problem when you can buy the same car brand new with a new warranty for only $2300 USD more.

You can buy a brand new 2014 0km Chevrolet Corsa Classic for 95,500 pesos, which is about $8300 USD. In my opinion, why buy someone else's problem when you can buy the same car brand new with a new warranty for only $2300 USD more.

I agree for a couple of thousand dollars extra you get a brand new car with warranty (vs. a three year old car). Another thing to keep in mind is safety. Somebody said in another thread that the Corsa Classic is a rolling coffin. That is not farfetched if you look at the ncap rating of only one star for the Corsa/Celta without airbag. The 2014 models are also available with double airbag and ABS which will only cost you 1k more but give you at least a little bit of safety. Something to consider ...

Regarding the airbags, I've read a few weeks ago on La Nacion or Clarin that they would be mandatory on all new vehicles. Not sure if this applies yet.

Regarding the airbags, I've read a few weeks ago on La Nacion or Clarin that they would be mandatory on all new vehicles. Not sure if this applies yet.
From what I understand all new cars manufactured or imported 2014 have to have double airbag and ABS - but cars manufactured/imported 2013 without it can still be sold. So dealers might still have the model without airbag and ABS for 95k on their lot.

I recommend you just buy brand new if you can spare the extra cash. There is so much fraud when buying used. You basically have to assume that it has more kilometers and that the odometer was changed in almost all cases, especially if you find the car at a dealer. If you must buy used, the best option is to buy from a first hand owner who was the only owner that you know personally and think that is honest. If not, then a "reputable" dealer (as if there are one of those).

If you buy new, you will avoid a ton of issues.

Also, I recommend that you run from a Corsa like the plague. It is the worst car on the market, and has all sorts of issues. If you buy it new, you will have problems in a year or two depending on how you drive, and Chevrolet customer service is absolutely horrific (as in they likely won't honor your warranty). If you are buying used get anything but the Corsa if you can. On top of it, if you get in a fender bender, the parts for the Corsa can actually end of costing as much as 50% of the value of the car. I would stay away from it and go for a VW gol or even something Fiat before the Corsa.

Info:
One owner
Gas
Manual
4 doors - GL - Base
Light Silver color
Shy of 13,000 km

many thanks

splaying

Probably doesn't have 13000 kilometers if it's three years old. That sounds ridiculous to me. On the plus side, only has one owner. The problem is that if you don't know what the kilometers are, you will have to immediately change out the band on the motor, because if it has more than 40,000, the cars here are built so badly that the band breaks and damages the engine, which can cost big bucks to repair. You need to factor that information into the cost since the odometer is probably changed. Get a mechanic to come with you and check the engine. The mechanic may or may not be able to tell you if the odometer has been changed. If it has been changed, you have no way of knowing what the real kilometers are for the engine-- it could be 200,000 kilometers for all you know. Run away if that's the case unless the mechanic thinks it doesn't have too many kms. It's common practice here at both dealerships and among personal owners to change the odometer back before selling. This is why I recommend you avoid all the hassles and buy new.

Back