Can My Husband Get Permanent Residency?

katyjoon

Registered
I am a U.S. citizen and I have permanent residency in Argentina, though I am currently in the U.S.
My husband (also a U.S. citizen) and I got married here two years ago, and now have a baby due later this year which we plan to have in the U.S. We would like for both my husband and our future child to have permanent residency in Argentina, as we would like to move there long-term in the future. Can my husband and child easily get permanent residency based upon their connection to me? We are also open to dual citizenship, but am not sure which one would be more tedious to obtain... My mother is a citizen of Argentina, so I don't know if this would help. Any clues?

Also, my residente permanente booklet has mold damage and it still has my maiden name. Obviously, I need to replace it, but am not sure how to go about that. I have not tried using it since getting married, so I am concerned that I would have problem using it to get into Argentina... is this something the Argentine consulate here in the states can help me with?

When was the last time you were in Argentina? According to other people's posts here, to maintain your permanent residency you need to step foot in Argentina one day every two years.

But the good news is since your mother is a citizen you can get citizenship along with your children and from that your husband can get permanent residency :)

Peony, last time I was there was April 2009. However, I've had permanent residency since 1996, and I know for a fact I haven't gone back every 2 yrs. I've never had a problem though, and nobody has ever threatened to take my residency away. I supposed it could be a fluke? Maybe I will run into problems when I try to update my libreta, if this is the case!

Hmm, it might be possible that maybe they don't enforce it? Below is a link to a forum where they had said you needed to enter Argentina every two years... but then again maybe its possible that you were given Argentine citizenship since your mother is a citizen.

http://baexpats.org/topic/17019-residency-vs-citizenship-which-should-i-get/page__hl__%20permanent%20%20residency%20%20expire__st__10

I'm pretty sure what I have is just a permanent residency, not citizenship... the booklet is a different color than a citizen's DNI. Still, they did not write an expiration date on the inside. Maybe that's why it's never been an issue for me? Anyway, the 2 yr rule is definitely something to consider... Seems like it really makes sense just to go for citizenship if this is the case.

Yes that's true if you aren't thinking of coming here to live for a while... There are people on this site that will know more specifically how it works so they will be able to clarify about the permanent residency. :)

Keep your maiden name. You are in for a world of hurt trying to do tramites in Argentina with a changed name.

I am a bloke with P/R and DNI,if I married a foreign girl would she get residency because of my status?not that I am about to do it,just for curiosity.

Back