Can Someone Tell Me the Good Stuff?

BAwithkids said:
After reading the very sad post by Ptolemy about the horrendous thing that happened to him and his family, I'm now feeling very nervous about bringing my own family to BA for the year (including my two young children). It's a done deal that it's happening, so we can't change our plans - can anyone tell me some things we'll love? That you haven't been the victim of violent crime? I'm so sorry that so many people have had such terrible experiences, but reading the forum now is making me feel like it happens to everyone...

Well this could happen anywhere, it just a bit more likely in Argentina. However if you are reasonably careful you shouldn't have a problem. You definitely have to be more alert than in the U.S. You're a bit older married with two kids so you probably won't be out in the middle of the night partying when a lot of the problems tend to happen. You know you wouldn't have to live in the big city if you didn't want too. You could live out in one of the burbs(you would probably need a car) which might be a little more family oriented and maybe more secure(debatable). You haven't provided enough detail to tell what kind of life-style you are looking for. I understand you are going to be in Argentina only for a year and the move is connected to your husbands employment. Give us a bit more detail and I think a recommendations can be made that would make you happy during your stay.

gouchobob said:
Well this could happen anywhere, it just a bit more likely in Argentina. However if you are reasonably careful you shouldn't have a problem. You definitely have to be more alert than in the U.S. You're a bit older married with two kids so you probably won't be out in the middle of the night partying when a lot of the problems tend to happen. You know you wouldn't have to live in the big city if you didn't want too. You could live out in one of the burbs(you would probably need a car) which might be a little more family oriented and maybe more secure(debatable). You haven't provided enough detail to tell what kind of life-style you are looking for. I understand you are going to be in Argentina only for a year and the move is connected to your husbands employment. Give us a bit more detail and I think a recommendations can be made that would make you happy during your stay.

We're actually moving for my work - my husband will be taking a leave from his job for the year. I'm working in Belgrano, and we plan to live there and send the kids to school there so we can enjoy the positives of sitting living, walking everywhere, etc. - plus, getting a car in Argentina is just too expensive and complicated for us! Thanks for any recommendations you can make.

Oh, and I'm probably more than a "bit" older than those who come to hit the nightclubs, etc :), One of the hardest adjustments for me will be going out to dinner at 8 or 9!

BAwithkids said:
We're actually moving for my work - my husband will be taking a leave from his job for the year. I'm working in Belgrano, and we plan to live there and send the kids to school there so we can enjoy the positives of sitting living, walking everywhere, etc. - plus, getting a car in Argentina is just too expensive and complicated for us! Thanks for any recommendations you can make.

Oh, and I'm probably more than a "bit" older than those who come to hit the nightclubs, etc :), One of the hardest adjustments for me will be going out to dinner at 8 or 9!

Well living in Belgrano makes sense as you are working there as well. I would agree getting a car is not worth it as you are only going to be there a year. The key to security living someplace like Argentina is vigilance. When you unlock the door to your building make sure nobody strange is standing nearby(they like to follow people into buildings and rob them there). When you are at the ATM look over your shoulder make sure nobody is too interested. Purse snatching and pickpocketing are common so you have to be extra careful with your valuables. If you appear vigilant then in most cases the crooks are going to look for an easier target. If you and your family can make these kind of adjustments I doubt you will have any major problems.

You definitely want private schools for the kids. I agree its not the best environment for kids long-term, but I think only a year will be a good experience for them.

Don't worry too much and enjoy your visit, at the end of the year I will bet you will be glad you came but that you will be ready to go home as well.

I wouldn't worry about security for just a year. Long term, there's a creeping sense of inevitability - that sooner or later something bad will happen. But a year? Its a long holiday.

There's loads of good things to enjoy. Its a family centric, child friendly city with zillion cultural things to do, restaurants that will give you special attention instead of turning you away for having kids, warm, friendly people (providing you learn the language), great schools & healthcare (providing you pay), and a sense of dynamism and vibrancy that comes with the chaos of living here. Bring patience, humility and don't expect argentina to adapt or cater to your needs. If you can be flexible, I'm sure you and your family will have and amazing experience.

rrptownley

another category or two..

Tangueros. Persons who move to Buenos Aires to immerse themselves in Tango Culture. Tangueros may go back home to practice their new found skills. Or not.

Viejos Verdes. Older men who move to Buenos Aires to immerse themselves in the culture of piropeadores profesionales.

From trhe basic.... "Diosa."..to

"Hey! Hey! you dropped a paper", "the one you were wrapped in sweet bombóm"

Viejo Verdes may or may not go back home when they arrive at a point that they receive an occasional smile from recipients. The desired response never happens when the piropo is nothing more than a crass catcall or so common as to be a cliche. I saw a girl smile once to this one...

Ayer pasé por tu casa
y me tirastes con un limón
la cáscara cayó en el suelo
y el jugo en mi corazón

mariposa said:
8 or 9? try 10 or 11!

Clearly, I'm in denial about dinner times :)! And it will be nice to be "early" eaters...

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I've lived in US cities (NYC, SF), and have some basic city instincts, but clearly will need to step it up a notch or two...

John.St said:
Do you feel safe in the US of A.?

Police recorded rape rate US 30 of 100,000 inhabitants, Argentina 8.3 of 100,000 inhabitants.
Police recorded assault rate US 786 of 100,000 inhabitants, Argentina 366 of 100,000 inhabitants.

Get the h*ll out of there before you become a victim.

I read this and just laughed...you can go to this website and see some of the stats, but if you think for one second that Argentina is safer than the US, you're partaking in this weed smoking society way too much and your visions are skewed. http://www.nationmaster.com

It was tough to find per capita comparisons, but there's a few on that site. The US is getting pretty bad, but Argentina will ALWAYS be worse.

Back