Can Someone Tell Me the Good Stuff?

Here is a long thread about some good things-
http://baexpats.org/expat-life/6615-what-do-you-like-here-ba.html

me, I like the food, the architecture, the culture, which includes music, film, dance, art, theater- all the time, everywhere, and lots of it free or cheap.
I like the bookstores. I like the flea markets.

But most of all, I like the people.
I dont hang out with expats, and I am old enough that the club scene holds no interest- but I have a lot of great argentine friends who are smart, hardworking, interested in the world, and fun to be with.
In many fields, the argentines are as good, if not better, than anybody anywhere- and I have had the great pleasure to meet and become friends with many of them in my fields of interest- writers, critics, artists, choreographers, architects, designers, chefs, and more.

a city is composed of people, not things.
and there are amazing people here.

Found some cheap(er) food!

Getting a fresh, western meal for 2 can be done for $10USD! (as long as you get it to go)

My wife and I had churizo, lemon chicken and a lettuce/tomate salad for just 40Pesos. Not bad (in a Palermo Hollywood neighborhood)

I've been accustomed to some flavorful, huge meals for two in Bangkok for ~$10USD for the past 6 months. So finding that I can pick up some good meals for slightly more is a relief.

I was afraid I'd be spending $25-$40USD every time my wife and I ate out.

If you arrive with an open mind and realistic expectations, you should have a great time. If you arrive expecting BA to be as easy and safe as NYC or SF, you will be disappointed. For all of the porteno desperation to be seen by the world as European, it's still a very South American city, with a long history of corruption and poverty. The petty criminals of BA are very, very good, but they can't target you if you don't let them. Learn about the famous tourist scams (mustard, pigeon poop, etc) so you can avoid them. Always keep a grip on your purse while walking, and never hang it over your chair. Always give cabbies exact fare, and at supermarkets and restaurants, count your change carefully before you leave. For God's sakes, don't flash an iPhone in the subway or walk around town wearing a Rolex.

So, the good things about BA... as others have mentioned, the people. By and large, they are warm and wonderful (note: does NOT pertain to those working in the customer service sector.) The priorities that are so different from America's -- in Argentina, if something breaks, you fix it, you don't just buy a new one. If you can't afford something, you don't whip out the Visa, you just don't buy it. You call your parents almost every day. You cook at home a LOT more, and enjoy a glass of red wine with the family lunch on Sundays. You get used to complete strangers striking up a conversation with you in restaurants and on buses, and soon start to do it yourself. You stop at the verduleria every day for produce, and get used to the fruit guys greeting you as "princesa" and "mi reina." It's an excellent walking city, and on nice days, I've been known to spend up to 3 hours just wandering the city on foot, ducking in and out of used bookstores. Cable TV in Argentina is so awful that you'll spend a lot more time doing... well, anything else. Your kids will actually learn how to use public transportation and their own feet, unlike 95% of their American counterparts. If you just keep in mind that street crime is very much a reality and respond appropriately, a year in BA will be a wonderful experience.

shawns said:
I've been here two days, and I didn't realize the "dangers" BA had until I started reading this forum last night.

After reading some stories, I have to say my impression is BA is a much less safe city than many in the US. The difference being that in the US, I know what areas to avoid to be relatively safe. In Chicago, avoid the South Side. In DC, avoid the Green line. Super easy. Here, it seems that a mugger is waiting for you on every corner - at least that's the impression I get from reading several crime threads.

I'm looking forward to finding the good things as well. It seems like those have been overshadowed by the dangers people write about.

Thanks for writing about them though. I wouldn't have realized I should not speak English so loudly. No I know why strangers looked at me puzzled yesterday as I walked throughout Palermo. (looks like I really have to get fluent in Spanish)

Question though, where can I get good food that isn't expensive? Most of the places I found yesterday are the same as US prices. I'm guessing there's no cheap food in the Palermo vicinity, yes?

This post makes me sad.

Starlucia, how do you juxtapose letting your kids use public transport with the fact that you must be more vigilant because of crime?

barnaby33 said:
Starlucia, how do you juxtapose letting your kids use public transport with the fact that you must be more vigilant because of crime?
Here is my take: It is unpleasant to have your pockets or backpack picked or a bag snatched from a restaurant chair, but it is not dangerous. Petty crime is common in Argentina, violent crime is not.

barnaby33 said:

If you never use public transportation in BA, you're pretty much dead in the water. Be on heightened alert from the minute you step into a subte station, but if fear is going to deter you from ever using the bus or train, you might as well not even live here.

rrptownley said:
I love it. It is home for me, even though I tried to resist it for so long.

As to the foreign crowd here, think Hemingway's Paris. unfortunately, the talent stays at home in front of their apple macs...

Good Lord,

I thought that you were going to write:

"Think Toulouse Lautrec's Paris..."

I was going to agree with you there as well.

;)

starlucia said:
If you never use public transportation in BA, you're pretty much dead in the water. Be on heightened alert from the minute you step into a subte station, but if fear is going to deter you from ever using the bus or train, you might as well not even live here.

Agreed....public transportation here is amazing, but it has it's dangers. Be smart, aware, and careful and you'll be fine.

That being said, i've seen a lot of people get robbed and pickpocketed in the subte, which scares me. And I understand it's "just another big city," but it's more prevelant here in BA. Just be smart....

Back