Can Someone Tell Me the Good Stuff?

Don't bother to much because these type of questions will be asked to you down here as soon you arrive. :p

Have a nice and safe trip, and welcome to the land of the crazy.

I've been here two days, and I didn't realize the "dangers" BA had until I started reading this forum last night.

After reading some stories, I have to say my impression is BA is a much less safe city than many in the US. The difference being that in the US, I know what areas to avoid to be relatively safe. In Chicago, avoid the South Side. In DC, avoid the Green line. Super easy. Here, it seems that a mugger is waiting for you on every corner - at least that's the impression I get from reading several crime threads.

I'm looking forward to finding the good things as well. It seems like those have been overshadowed by the dangers people write about.

Thanks for writing about them though. I wouldn't have realized I should not speak English so loudly. No I know why strangers looked at me puzzled yesterday as I walked throughout Palermo. (looks like I really have to get fluent in Spanish)

Question though, where can I get good food that isn't expensive? Most of the places I found yesterday are the same as US prices. I'm guessing there's no cheap food in the Palermo vicinity, yes?

Just wanted to add a Thanks for the insightful post from RPT above. I've lived in BsAs for 16 months so far, and love it, in much the way that is expressed above. There definitely is life outside of the island of Palermo, and should be explored.

Without making light of the attack on ptolemy, this is a city of 12 million, and us foreigners do stand out a little when it comes to selecting a target for robbery - in much the same way we do anywhere else around the world. If you extract the figures, BsAs is probably as safe, or as unsafe, as any major international, cosmoplitan city.

Embrace the place - You'll love it....

LittleNic said:
@ rrptownley

I like your post, but you forgot the nice, normal expat - or aren't there any??
And what is it with Marmite?

Looking forward to move to Argentina ;)
Nice post by rrptownley but yes, what the fuck is Marmite ? Sounds like a new fangled explosive. Maybe that's why it's tough to get here.

Yep. got married to an Argentine, the applause died, the crowd went away and here I am 10 years later with 3 Argen-kiwi kids.

This place is great with kids. Don't know what it's like where you live now, but in NZ if you went to a restaurant at dinner time with 3 kids in tow, you'd get the evil eye from all other diners and waiting staff. Here, everything is geared up for kids. THere's a row of highchairs in just about every restaurant, the waiters pay you far more attention because they come to visit with the children.
The schools (private) are good and their security measures for making sure young kids are ONLY handed over to authorised people is very reassuring.
The parks can be a bit dirty, the sand often has fleas but as long as you're aware of that it's not a problem.
My only reason for wanting to head back to NZ is because we live in an apartment with no balcony or outside area and I would love to have a back yard so I could send the kids outside to play when they get to be too much. (And yes I know, if I moved out of the centre of the city I could have a house with a garden but then I wouldn't be just 2 blocks away from work!)

rrptownley said:
I love it. It is home for me, even though I tried to resist it for so long.

As to the foreign crowd here, think Hemingway's Paris. unfortunately, the talent stays at home in front of their apple macs and tend to shun any form of discomfort Buenos Aires would afford them. Most foreigners are in the push category rather than pull category; they have been sent here by work or ostracised by the motherland for their abnormal behaviour, which becomes ever more apparent here.

There seem to me to be a few distinct types of Ex-pat:

The Rich Young Thing, here to drink and party and wait until there parents come down here to drag them back and/or cut them off.

The Missionary, posted down here by an international company. Loving being paid in Dollars/Euros and living in pesos but quickly gives up trying to kick any sense of order into their native colleagues, "This isn't a franchise goddamit!"

The Castaway, doesn't really know how he ended up here, nor how he can afford to move on. Someone once told them in a night club in Majorca that Buenos Aires has a beach. They have been bitterly disappointed ever since.

The Diplobrat, either actual diplomat or progeny of, can be charming or hideously spoilt.

The Happy Ending, they fell in love and/or had a kid here. The audience cheered, stood up, walked out. Nobody paused to think that the story continues.

The Ex-pat within an Ex-pat, usually an Argentine who has come back from Miami with dollars in the back pocket, but realises he has no connection to his former countrymen, seeks solace amongst Ex-pats.

The Temporary; students, travellers, life-changers who quickly revert back again. By far the largest group. Here for a year a best. Can be really hard to show interest when meeting them. Sometimes it just too tiring to make friends who are going to be gone in months (always up for a party though).

The city itself, well, right now it is as hot as balls. Get some air conditioning. I didn't. It has a nice balance of scarves and gloves for about 3 weeks in winter and breakfast on the terrace from August until April.
The architecture is really pleasing. from the grand French boulevard edificios, to the low lying, Spanish colonial casas, to the valiant, intricate and pitted jumble of the villas.
Food and drink will initially disappoint. You adapt and learn. Cooking skills definitely improve here. There is no way I would have ever learnt to make my own chutney or sweet chilli sauce before coming here.
Restaurants are affordable and relaxing. You don't get churned out through gritted teeth of reservations and turnovers and last orders. You can turn up at 9pm and leave at midnight. Service is slow and not geared towards tips. It can be incomprehensible at first, and many people never come to understand it, but it is a wonderful way to eat. Not in and out and drinks on the table in under 5 minutes and orders taken in 10, but an event. Enjoyment is at the discernment of the consumer; take your time.

Security I take no more seriously or lightly than a European capital. All the incidents you hear about on this forum are usual the result of something. A door left unlocked, misplaced trust, appearing just a bit too foreign or affluent in the street. You can still dress well and carry your camera and phone. Just don't leave them on the café table nor get them out on the subway nor at night. Try not to talk too loudly in English at the wrong time (you should be able to determine this). Its peanuts really, just when you do slip up, it will be a knife or a gun at you.

Culturally it rocks. I don't have the force to write with enough passion about this right now.

The people. Are wonderful. Hard to approach at first but Spanish classes (even if your Spanish is good) and groups and societies and local bars and cafes, just taking an extra two minutes to talk to your neighbours or portero or store proprietor will introduce you into their customs and attitudes.
I am still continually shocked at times as to the kindness shown by strangers.
It is especially easily if you live in a barrio other than Palermo. I love Palermo, but it is a bit of an island. I have friends who have lived there two years and still cant roll their rrrrrrrr´s (it tolls for thee).

Social attitides towards children is great. Family is important here, if alone you may find yourself incorporated into a family dinner or get together without option ni hesitation.

On the bad side there is no Marmite here.

It is an amazing place to live and I haven't even started talking about outside Capital yet. Argentina outside of Buenos Aires is another entity, different country, amazing and complicated in its own way.

This forum is here to answer questions and gripe. DO NOT take it as your sole source to life here as an Ex-pat.

You wrote this succinctly. Can I copy it and post elsewhere, with you name as author, of course.

Back