CFK to Run for Reelection ‘One More Time’

That might still be the case. I wonder what the consensus will be after four more years of CFK.

ReemsterCARP said:
That might still be the case. I wonder what the consensus will be after four more years of CFK.

What does Cristina got the do with the Washington consensus?

Nothing. And that's the reason why in four years Argentina will be worse off than they are now. Mientras tanto, Chile with its balanced, pro-market economic policy and targeted social assistance programs will prosper and prosper...

Barney said:
Atleast now she has à Chicago boy as à runningmate

You have a good sense of humor. Actually her selection seems to make sense from her standpoint. First , she's got somebody who's not going to act independently, he won't cause any problems. Second, he's a loyal part of the junta, if she tries of being president or has health problems and wants to depart early he probably isn't going to start any investigations of her presidency which he was in the middle of. My betting assuming she is elected is that she won't finish her term.

Check your facts, he is the prime example of a Chicago boy. He is also a anti-Jewish, don't think many jews are going to vote for CFK/Boudou now

If she thinks she does not finish her term she would have Alicia to be her running-mate

ReemsterCARP said:
Nothing. And that's the reason why in four years Argentina will be worse off than they are now. Mientras tanto, Chile with its balanced, pro-market economic policy and targeted social assistance programs will prosper and prosper...

Don’t Cry For Argentina

June 23, 2011, 1:20 pm

OK, I guess I don’t quite see how Argentina’s default, of all examples, can be viewed as a cautionary tale for Greece:

062311krugman3-blog480.jpg

Argentina suffered terribly from 1998 through 2001, as it tried to be orthodox and do the right thing. After it defaulted at the end of 2001, it went through a brief severe downturn, but soon began a rapid recovery that continued for a long time. Surely the Argentine example suggests that default is a great idea; the case against Greek default must be that this country is different (which, to be fair, is arguable).

I was really struck by the person who said that Argentina is no longer considered a serious country; shouldn’t that be a Serious country? And in Argentina, as elsewhere, being Serious was a disaster.

The New York Times.- Paul Krugman is the recipient of the 2008 Nobel Prize in Economics.

Cheers, and forget Chile an economy based only in copper mining. :p

Of course it widely believed that these growth numbers are cooked the same way the inflation numbers are cooked, i.e. the growth has been overstated. Its been stated here before that the growth that has occurred is due primarily to external factors (i.e. high commodity prices and demand from Brazil). The question should be is the economy sustainable without these very favorable conditions. What has the current government done to insure Argentina's long-term economic prosperity? What's going to happen when these very favorable conditions no longer exist? I think we will find out over the next couple of years as growth is forecast to moderate substantially. A high inflation rate with much slower growth is going to be too attractive. What's going to happen when the government has to cut spending? It's going to be very interesting. This is when we will find out if the K's are the new economic messiahs or just another opportunistic government flash in the pan whose policies in the end proved to be fatally flawed and unsustainable.

Philsword said:
Of course it widely believed that these growth numbers are cooked the same way the inflation numbers are cooked, i.e. the growth has been overstated. Its been stated here before that the growth that has occurred is due primarily to external factors (i.e. high commodity prices and demand from Brazil). The question should be is the economy sustainable without these very favorable conditions. What has the current government done to insure Argentina's long-term economic prosperity? What's going to happen when these very favorable conditions no longer exist? I think we will find out over the next couple of years as growth is forecast to moderate substantially. A high inflation rate with much slower growth is going to be too attractive. What's going to happen when the government has to cut spending? It's going to be very interesting. This is when we will find out if the K's are the new economic messiahs or just another opportunistic government flash in the pan whose policies in the end proved to be fatally flawed and unsustainable.

I am anti K and despite all the lies, etc I can tell you the most respected independent international organizations believe in those growth numbers and keep saying Argentina will keep growing in the coming years ( such is the case of most emerging countries while " first " world countries will not grow or will do it minimally.

nikad said:
I am anti K and despite all the lies, etc I can tell you the most respected independent international organizations believe in those growth numbers and keep saying Argentina will keep growing in the coming years ( such is the case of most emerging countries while " first " world countries will not grow or will do it minimally.

I don't if you are reading about the concerns of slowing growth in the world right now including emerging countries.

One growth forecast for Argentina next year is 4.3% according to the article below.

http://thecitizen.co.tz/editorial-analysis/-/12216-argentina-president-may-face-stormy-second-term

There is also the wide-spread belief among many that the growth numbers are exaggerated the purpose being to bolster support for the government.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110622-714155.html

Back