Change in expat attitudes?

No, the corruption in BA is everywhere. It's simply NOT the same in the US, UK or other developed countries I am familiar with.
This is your problem, comparing Argentina to developed countries. Someone should have told you before coming that Argentina is a developing country. Compare Buenos Aires to other latin cities like Sao Paulo, Rio, Bogota, Lima. I don't think the city is doing that bad then.
As to the 'arrogance' of the locals: imagine you had a house and a 'close friend' were telling you all the time how shitty the house was, how can you live in such a hole, how can you be so inept as to buy something like that, etc. I think the first few times anyone would accept it, but in the end it would become annoying.
Buenos Aires is as it is. Take it or leave it. And for all hardship we have been going through, I think it is a damn good-looking city. We had the right of feeling proud of it.

About the "European" thing: It doesn´t matter which color we will become, or we are now, Buenos Aires is the "European" city of Latin America, and yellow, black or red, if you live there you are a Porteño. It is like a Parisian or a New Yorker, something to be proud of. And yes, I don´t like talks about "race" or the PC term "ethnicity", etc. It is not part of our culture (we have enough classism for discrimination purposes, no need of racism). When I try to explain this to foreigners,it goes like this: "In Argentina, if you are rich you are white, and no the other way around".

Amargo said:
This is your problem, comparing Argentina to developed countries. Someone should have told you before coming that Argentina is a developing country. Compare Buenos Aires to other latin cities like Sao Paulo, Rio, Bogota, Lima. I don't think the city is doing that bad then.
As to the 'arrogance' of the locals: imagine you had a house and a 'close friend' were telling you all the time how shitty the house was, how can you live in such a hole, how can you be so inept as to buy something like that, etc. I think the first few times anyone would accept it, but in the end it would become annoying.
Buenos Aires is as it is. Take it or leave it. And for all hardship we have been going through, I think it is a damn good-looking city. We had the right of feeling proud of it.

This is an expat forum. Expats come here to express opinions. If native Portenos care to join that's fine but they enter an expat forum. I do not spend my life telling Argentines about the problems of Argentina. I hear and read it from Argentines every day. Most of the grumbling I hear comes from Argentines. I would not mention Europe or the US if I didn't hear the references from Argentines who THINK Argentina, BA in paricular, is ever so "European". You did not read my post, I was responding to an Argentine who claims Argentina is equal to Sweden. It would be a lot simpler and realistic if Argentines compared themselves to Latin American countries instead of to Europe. The country is not 1st world. Not sure it can be called developing as it used to be more advanced and has actually devolved. The frustrations set in when we expats are repeatedly told how European the place is. Yes, compared to Bolivia, Paraguay and a lot of other Latin Amertican countries Argentina is great but it's definitely not France - or Sweden!

This is an expat forum. Expats come here to express opinions. If native Portenos care to join that's fine but they enter an expat forum.
I am not a native porteño. And I don't think you're in a position of telling me to leave the forum. I am as much an expat as you.

And the european character of Buenos Aires is undeniable. What were supposed to build european inmigrants? An asian-looking city? An igloo?
Surely not a swedish-looking city, but rather Italian or Spanish (and indeed looks much better than many southern italian or spanish cities - without belonging to the EU)

tomedison said:
BA continues to make the lists of best places to retire in. I live in the Recoleta near the Brazilian and French embassies. I don't feel apprehensive on the streets. My condo fees, electricity, cable and tel bills are relatively low. I like the food and the wine is good. Seems like there's always something to do. Life is pretty good here if you have a non-peso income.

That's great you are enjoying living here, however there needs to be more people living well on income earned within the country for people to feel like their country is worthwhile. If the only people who can live well are foreigners with income sources that come from outside the country, well then, something is terribly wrong. No political system can sustain itself solely relying on foreigners. They need the support of the actual people who are natives of that country.

Lee said:
Don't forget to add to that list that you also have to pay TWICE as much for last years model. Basically if you can't afford to fly to Miami a couple of times a year to stock up on electronics you can still live a nice 3rd world life here! :eek: But hey...as long as you enjoy the ride.

Exactly. And forget about electronics, try having a kid here.

Graco Playard (Collapsible Crib):
Argentina = us$500
USA = us$150

Chicco Travel System Stroller - one of the most basic models (we're not even talking Bugaboo or Peg-Perego -- which in our house we refer to as Pre-pago)
Argentina = us$900
Chile = us$500
USA - us$400

Medela Breast Pump (electronic)
USA = start at us$70 - us$375 depending on model
Argentina = start at us$200 - us$600 depending on model

Onesies
USA = us$8-10 for set of 5 organic cotton
Argentina = us$5-10 for "set" of 1 (of course you can probably by cheaper ones that will fall apart after 2 washes and are probably flammable...)

Basically the gear like strollers/car seats/cribs/pumps etc for kids/babies is all foreign made, so you pay the same price + another 50% import taxes, plus whatever the merchant decides to markup for their "margin". Or you buy everything second hand at prices that are still higher than the USA for new, or you buy crap brands that will fall apart.

And same with electronics, most of the models are a few years old (and if they've been recalled in the USA they are often available for purchase here because stock is stock and stores don't want to lose their money)

I came back from Miami the other week -- you should have seen the amount of kids stuff coming through the conveyor, everyone had the same idea as us.

Fortunately my husband travels a lot for work, so he'll be picking up stuff for us in Chile and Mexico, because the prices here are just ridiculous -- and between us we have a decent household income -- I can't imagine what it would be like to have to buy that stuff if you didn't.

Syngirl - is there a mini syngirl or synguy on the way? Congrats!:D

Tangerine said:
A little older version:
Portenos are Italians who speak Spanish and think of themselves as English but act more like the French.

Not all porteños are the same....' Some Portenos are more like south Italian villeros who speak a little too much chamullo as deep down they suffer from an inferiority complex cause they can't speak English & so tend to try to cover it up by acting like French wanabees. Que vergüenza !!!! :p

if you live there you are a Porteño. It is like a Parisian or a New Yorker, something to be proud of

Sorry but I am a foreigner and the people of Buenos Aires always makes sure that I know that. But, if the same people came to America they would be treated like all other Americans.

Back