Cheap Tickets to a Show at Teatro Colon?

The Colon is an ENORMOUS theatre. The distance from top to bottom is vast. It is absurd to stand at the top for a ballet. If you don't want to pay for Platea, get a cazuela seat while they are available. As for price, the Colon Ballet is not a world class group so they can hardly expect to charge London or New York prices.

shoush said:
ah i was going to go buy the 30 or 40 pesos "seats" but you can sit down then??? can u atleast see anything?

I have not tried standing at the ballet at Colon but from my experiences at Opera a lot of the ladies in the female standing area behind the cazuela seats take little folding camping-type stools. Yes you can see from there, but I would also agree that you are high up, which I don't find a problem for Opera, but you might feel you are missing out a bit for ballet. You pays your money and you takes your choice, as the saying goes. Another tip: First time I went I asked how much the programme was and was told it was free, so I took it with enthusiastic thanks, only to notice later that the usual form was to give a tip in return, so felt obliged to shamefacedly go back again five minutes later to make amends and mumble an apology for being a bit slow.

hey! just checking the seats now on the map! can u please let me know the best seats that price from 95 to 149pesos!??? unfortunately that is the budget for the opera! what about galeria primer fila?

shoush said:
I had called my bank and the had told me that theres no block, then i talked a company in Argentina that i usually buy things from with my credit card and they told me that you are not able to use international credit cards here anymore?!?!!? not true????
I think that is complete and utter bull. The question I have is: why would they lie to you? Of course there is always the possibility that this is some new thing but I seriously doubt it.

yes! lets bonus told me (groupon style company)! haha! but still i believed it easily with all the new laws..it seemed correct! i will try to buy tickets as soon as i find my seats, then ill know if my card will work;)

FWIW I just got back from the colon, (What kind of website doesn't take mastercard?) I snagged two platea tickets for weds's show and there were still quite a few good seats left so it's not too late.

On another note, ballet is almost 20% more expensive this year than last. Isn't the colon a tax payer funded theater? The prices are absurd.

just to clarify, my credit card was accepted:) but i sware the i was told that only national credit cards were accepted now in Argentina...in any case..good news:)

PhilipDT said:
FWIW I just got back from the colon, (What kind of website doesn't take mastercard?) I snagged two platea tickets for weds's show and there were still quite a few good seats left so it's not too late.

On another note, ballet is almost 20% more expensive this year than last. Isn't the colon a tax payer funded theater? The prices are absurd.

I would like to disagree, Ballet and Opera isn't cheap anywhere, even in countries where culture is massively subsidized by the State (like France). The cost of productions (specially Opera) are huge and tickets probably will not cover 50% of this cost so there you have where the tax payers jump in. I think Colon is rightly priced, at least in comparison with Buenos Aires living cost. You have tickets starting at 8 us dollars! You cannot go to the movies for that money in most countries. And be thankful, try to get tickets in NYC or London one week before the show... it is impossible. I am trying to buy tickets for a ballet in Paris in June and it is sold out.
In any case, you have cheaper options like Teatro San Martin and for opera and ballet you can visit Teatro Argentino de La Plata. When you buy the tickets you can buy a ticket for a bus that takes you to La Plata and brings you back after the show. The productions are lower quality than Colon but if you are not an expert, you will hardly notice that.

And for the credit card, try to pay with American Express in Europe.

Buenos Aires has a lot of drawbacks but is a little bit tiring and boring reading post where people complain even about the few nice things this city has to offer.

shoush said:
is tertula primer filo an ok seat? 96 pesos!

It is OKish. For next time, if you go to ballet at Colon and you do not want to pay for a platea, a very good option is cazuela frente or lateral (first row). Sometimes is even better than platea as depeding on where your seat is, you may have problems in seeing the feet of the dancers.

Back