Cheap Tickets to a Show at Teatro Colon?

expatinowncountry said:
I would like to disagree, Ballet and Opera isn't cheap anywhere, even in countries where culture is massively subsidized by the State (like France). The cost of productions (specially Opera) are huge and tickets probably will not cover 50% of this cost so there you have where the tax payers jump in. I think Colon is rightly priced, at least in comparison with Buenos Aires living cost. You have tickets starting at 8 us dollars! You cannot go to the movies for that money in most countries. And be thankful, try to get tickets in NYC or London one week before the show... it is impossible. I am trying to buy tickets for a ballet in Paris in June and it is sold out.
In any case, you have cheaper options like Teatro San Martin and for opera and ballet you can visit Teatro Argentino de La Plata. When you buy the tickets you can buy a ticket for a bus that takes you to La Plata and brings you back after the show. The productions are lower quality than Colon but if you are not an expert, you will hardly notice that.

And for the credit card, try to pay with American Express in Europe.

Buenos Aires has a lot of drawbacks but is a little bit tiring and boring reading post where people complain even about the few nice things this city has to offer.

Like many people on this site I'm bitching for the therapeutic effect; don't let it get you down. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. I mean, I did, after all, buy the tickets.

Its just the difference in prices are somewhat shocking, I went to two ballets last year and paid 200 pesos for tickets to each. Both times front row seats. That was reasonable! Cheap even. But now I just shelled out 1000 pesos for tickets for me and the GF. Allow me to bitch a little. Also, while still very good, colon's dancers aren't quite top shelf.

PhilipDT said:
What kind of website doesn't take mastercard?
Actually, MasterCard is not widely accepted in Argentina. Visa is the standard here, where it's accepted in at least twice as many retail outlets as MC.

PhilipDT said:
On another note, ballet is almost 20% more expensive this year than last. Isn't the colon a tax payer funded theater? The prices are absurd.
I had the same reaction when I looked for tickets to the new Golijov opera that opened the season. Fortunately, after that production, the prices went down to only a 20% increase over last year. Given the actual rate of inflation, that's a 5-8% decrease over last year's prices!:)

The Metropolitan Opera has the best seats available for Monday-Thursday performances at $20. You have to go a few hours before and queue. A gift from benefactors. If you are patient, you can get a seat at last minute at a fabulous price -- ORCHESTRA seats!

The Colon Ballet is mediocre. It can't be compared to leading groups in the US or Europe. The prices are way too high for Argentina and can not be put on an international level. You couldn't charge that much in the US for the quality they deliver (the Colon Opera is the strongest performing arts group in BA).

The Colon is a municipally owned theatre. Macri has apparently cut back on staff but it still has a huge staff with a strong union. LOTS of politics.

By the way, Argentina has produced several first rate dancers but they have gone to the American Ballet Theatre or to Europe.

Right on, Chris. Re opera at the Colon, the orchestra and stage productions are usually quite nice, but Colon is no longer able to secure the world's top opera singers, which means that the public ends up paying for overall mediocre performances. Thus, the high ticket prices are something of a rip-off since opera is all about SINGING, not just a pretty production and a good sounding orchestra.

chris said:
The Metropolitan Opera has the best seats available for Monday-Thursday performances at $20. You have to go a few hours before and queue. A gift from benefactors. If you are patient, you can get a seat at last minute at a fabulous price -- ORCHESTRA seats!
That's right - if you show up at the Met around 4 PM and wait until 6, you can sometimes get one of 200 rush tickets to the Met that normally sell for U$ 150-350 - considerably more than ticket prices at the Teatro Colón. The Met's rush seats are paid for by a U$ 21 million gift by the late Agnes Varis, who founded a generic-drug company in the US.

Note that U$ 21 million is more than 15% of the annual budget of the Colón for last season. As in Europe, Argentina has neither the tradition of cultural philanthropy nor the tax incentives to promote it.

By contrast, the Met's annual budget is U$ 325 million, which doesn't include a serious ballet company, a dedicated concert orchestra, or the training conservatory that, for better or worse, are the most important of their respective endeavors in this country, or arguably on this continent. To compare apples to apples, New York to Buenos Aires, it would be more realistic to roll in the budgets of either American Ballet Theater (U$ 25 million) or New York City Ballet (U$ 60 million), plus the New York Philharmonic (U$ 69 million), and Julliard (U$ 70), and a big chunk of the Lincoln Center operating budget as well.

Such comparisons are useless, of course. The Colón doesn't play in the same league and lacks the facilities to even attempt the breadth of activities presented by these companies in aggregate. That said, the Colón's opera and orchestral performances are generally strong, usually at least comparable those of B-companies in Europe (which operate with comparable budgets).

Should the same budget produce better performances? Or comparable performances with cheaper tickets? Or course! At least in a perfect world. But if you regularly attend the Met, you'll hear a lot of ratty performances far more disappointing than the Colon's recent offerings. (On my last visit visit, I saw an Aida who didn't even attempt to sing the Nile scene. . . .)

The real attraction for me is to hear live music in this magnificent theater, with the clearest acoustic I've encountered in any large opera house or concert hall.

chris said:
The Colon Ballet is mediocre. It can't be compared to leading groups in the US or Europe. The prices are way too high for Argentina and can not be put on an international level. You couldn't charge that much in the US for the quality they deliver (the Colon Opera is the strongest performing arts group in BA). By the way, Argentina has produced several first rate dancers but they have gone to the American Ballet Theatre or to Europe.
I agree that most Colón performances are not at the level of the top international companies, and that the ballet is probably the weakest of the opera/concert/ballet triad. But they don't charge Covent Garden prices, either.

It is a fact that many great Argentine performers - whether dancers, singers, pianists, or other instrumentalists - have gone elsewhere to realize their careers. Given the choice of working at home for the second-rate fees that the Colón can afford, or being celebrated in European and North American capitals, what would you do?

Sponsors like the Mozarteum Argentino go out of their way to create opportunities for Argentine performers like Daniel Barenboim or Nelson Goerner to return and perform here. Since they need to recover almost all their costs from ticket sales, these performances are really expensive!

==============

I'll put in a plug for the Teatro Argentino in La Plata, which is the little company that tries really hard. Performances at the Colón may sometimes have a little more polish, but the Argentino's are generally more exciting. The young Argentine conductor Alejo Pérez is doing really ambitious work as music director there.

In the company's 120-year history, they had never performed a full opera of Wagner until last season's Tristan, and this season they began mounting a Ring cycle. The opening Rheingold had all Argentine singers, who gave a lovely, lyrical performance the likes of which you're unlikely to ever hear at the Colón. Or at the Met, for that matter. And tickets are cheap, even including the cost of getting to La Plata.

Does anybody know how long this show is, never seen it before and couldn't find anything online.

Jim, you raise some very good points and I generally agree but I'd point out a few things:
1) It's almost certain that you'll get a $20 ticket to the MET if you turn up early. I believe too that Seniors only have to call to avoid the queue.
2) Technically speaking you are right that ticket prices are higher at the MET but that is deceiving. The Orchestra at the Metropolitan Opera is broken up into several sections with different prices. The Colon used to have ONE price for all of the Platea but after the renovation they divided the Platea into two price categories. I find that you can choose a seat fairly close to the the stage at the MET, slightly to the side and pay less than at the Teatro Colon for the same seat. Price at the MET also depends on the day of the performance, Fridays and Saturdays being most expensive. In reality you can get an excellent seat at the MET for a price competitive with the Colon if you are selective about location and date. Given the quality of performances at the MET (I'd disagree that poor singing is common) you get much better value for money.
2) With reference to prices and Covent Garden, I'd look more closely at pricing. The ROH is a more intimate theatre with infinitely better sight lines. Even way up in the amphitheatre visibility is excellent. I paid less than USD $50 for a ticket there recently and I was quite satisfied with it. That can not be said for seats at the top of the Colon.
3) The MET does not have a dedicated orchestra in the sense that it plays for more than the METROPOLITAN OPERA however it does have one of the world's finest orchestras in its own right, thanks to James Levine. In fact the METROPOLITAN OPERA ORCHESTRA performs in symphonic performances from time to time. I believe at Carnegie Hall.
4) I agree that opera is the strongest of the performing arts in BA. Over twenty years I have seen some excellent performances, some up to Metropolitan Opera standards - except for the orchestra. In general, however, the company functions at not only a European but an American B level, certainly below the METROPOLITAN OPERA and the CHICAGO LYRIC and probably San Francisco though I have never heard the latter in person. I'd put the Colon, all things considered, at the level of the New York City Opera. But even the City Opera can rise to very high levels.
5) I haven't heard the Philharmonic in a couple of years. I got tired of hearing so many mistakes. The wind instruments were especially weak. If you are used to leading US orchestras, the BA Philharmonic is hard to take. When I visit my father in Naples, Florida I hear a far, far better orchestra there - the Naples Philharmonic. 6) Ballet in BA is mediocre. By international standards the price of a seat in Platea is not cheap given the quality. Accomplished performers leave for the US and Europe not just for the money but for opportunities to grow. Outside the Colon there is very little opportunity for this. The Colon also has a very limited season, especially for ballet.

The current Colon pricing, in dollar terms, is the highest I have seen in a couple of decades in Argentina. It shot up with Macri. It really is a pity as it remains relatively inaccessible to most people and far less accessible to the middle class than it used to be.

I agree with you about the Teatro Argentino de la Plata. The auditorium alone is very nice, aside from having little leg room in Platea

As Chris states, The Met's dedicated orchestra is magnificent, overwhelmingly recognized at the finest opera orchestra in the world, and it does non-operatic recordings as well as concerts across the US and the globe. God bless Jimmy Levine. Also, I agree with Chris re Met singers vs Colon singers, that the quality of singing at the former is incomparably better than at the latter. There was a time when Colon gave the Met a run for its money, so to speak, but no more,
Anyone interested in seeing the Met in action can attend the Met live broadcasts in HD at the Teatro Nacional. The final two broadcasts of the current Met season are Saturday, 7 April (MANON) and Saturday, 14 April (LA TRAVIATA), both matinee performances. Go to the Metropolitan Opera online for a schedule and listing of next season's HD broadcasts. There will be 12 broadcasts, the first on Saturday, 13 October, with a new production of L'ELISIR D'AMORE. The HD broadcasts are really quite wonderful.

I'm planning to go to Carmen next week. Is there a dress code for the ballet at Teatro Colon?

Escu said:
I'm planning to go to Carmen next week. Is there a dress code for the ballet at Teatro Colon?
No shirt, no shoes, no service:p

First time I went I wore a dark suit & tie because I wasn't sure about the dress code either. I didn't feel over dressed, there were a few older people in black tie apparel women with fur coats and all but I was definitely on the dressy side for a young person. Subsequently I've gone with a nice dress shirt, slacks and a blazer.

Back