Cheapest time for a visit

Greg2231 said:
It was mix of Continental and united, actually it has gone down in the last few days just a little it is booking out at $520 now, though in order to get that price you have to add a 3x to dump the YQ. Here is a thread that is all about tricking air fares in order to get the best price, it is rather long but if you get the hang of it you can save a lot of money.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mile...-negotiate-special-savings-lounge-thread.html

Greg - that's indeed a great deal! I can't find an example that will get rid of the YQ - mind sharing what you used as the 3x?

Greg2231 said:
It was mix of Continental and united, actually it has gone down in the last few days just a little it is booking out at $520 now, though in order to get that price you have to add a 3x to dump the YQ. Here is a thread that is all about tricking air fares in order to get the best price, it is rather long but if you get the hang of it you can save a lot of money.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mile...-negotiate-special-savings-lounge-thread.html

Can you please explain what you mean by you have to ad a 3x to dump the YQ. I am reading the blog and I keep seeing YQ and I am totally confused. Please help!

nona said:
Can you please explain what you mean by you have to ad a 3x to dump the YQ. I am reading the blog and I keep seeing YQ and I am totally confused. Please help!
A 3X is a 3rd flight added onto the end of the flights you originally wanted to take, so if you want to fly from city A to City B and back you would buy a ticket with three flights
A to B
B to A
and then add a 3rd flight(3X) onto the same ticket ie:
C to D
This can cause the YQ to disappear

YQ is the coding for the fuel surcharge that is part of the ticket price for a lot of carriers, right now UA and CO have a $410 YQ from the US to BA, by adding the right 3X to a ticket you can make the YQ disappear, the trick is finding the 3X's that work for a particular airline as they can be airline specific and also region specific, one that works for the US to BA may not work from the US to EU. also you want to have a 3X that has as little as cost and taxes as possible, because the cost of the 3X is added to the ticket, Right now I have a 3X that works from the US to BA that costs $30 total and removes 100% of the YQ.

Thanks for explaining!

My fiance and I are flying back to the US very soon, early february sometime, and we wont be coming back, do you have any advice on how to get a cheap ticket price? Does it end up being cheaper to buy rt instead of one way and then add on the 3rd trip?? also if you dont mind, what is your 3x city that only charges you 30$?

nona said:
Thanks for explaining!

My fiance and I are flying back to the US very soon, early february sometime, and we wont be coming back, do you have any advice on how to get a cheap ticket price? Does it end up being cheaper to buy rt instead of one way and then add on the 3rd trip?? also if you dont mind, what is your 3x city that only charges you 30$?

Generally on international flights it is cheaper to book Round Trips, and throw away the return.
With out knowing were in the US you are looking to go I see EZE to LAX at around $1,100 one way for early February, but if you book an open Jaw EZE to LAX and then LAX to TGU, I am seeing $612 with no 3X needed.

I am not comfortable sharing that 3X, but if you read all of that thread you will learn how to find the 3x's by yourself.

If you tell me were in the US you are going, I can give you some more specific advice.

Greg

Greg2231 said:
Generally on international flights it is cheaper to book Round Trips, and throw away the return.
With out knowing were in the US you are looking to go I see EZE to LAX at around $1,100 one way for early February, but if you book an open Jaw EZE to LAX and then LAX to TGU, I am seeing $612 with no 3X needed.

I am not comfortable sharing that 3X, but if you read all of that thread you will learn how to find the 3x's by yourself.

If you tell me were in the US you are going, I can give you some more specific advice.

Greg

Greg that advice is so great. THANKS!

Hi Greg!!
Could I ask you a couple extra questions by email or private message?
Thank you for your advice!!

Do these tricks work on any travel site? like Expedia, or are there specific sites that are better for this? :confused: Thanks!

They usually book best through Orbitz or Cheaptickets(which also owned by Orbitz), Expedia is not always good at pricing out a ticket with a 3X properly, sometimes you can book a ticket with a 3X directly on the Airline website if you are using the same airline for the 3X.

But for working out the best fare I use:

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/search.htm

which is a more versatile airfare search engine, it allows you a lot more options, and will allow you to see the fare construction so you can see what if any "YQ" is built into the fare, and when you add a 3X to it you can tell exactly what it is doing to the "YQ", you can also tell if one of the legs of the trip is in a higher fare class, and have a better idea were to make adjustments to get the best deal.

I will give you some help and direction by PM, but the best thing to do is read that thread and start experimenting on your own, when all the tricks are laid out there for everyone to see the airlines are forced to try and close them, whereas if there is a bit of specialized research and knowledge required for the tricks they last longer.
There was an incident about a year ago were Airfarewatchdog.com published an article laying out exactly how to trick a fare and what 3x to use, a day latter a lot of the fares were fixed at least temporally new trick's and 3X's have been developed since, but that is why that thread is written partly in riddles, to make not easily understandable for the average person who stumbles upon it, but if you are willing to put in the work everything that you need is there.

Greg

Greg, we are flying EZE to MSP. I have been reading the thread and havent quite figured it out yet. I appreciate any advice you can send my way!

Back