Clarin & La Nacion blocked from operatring as usual

It is not weird that the government would do something that directly benefits Clarin such as this action? In an electoral year? One thing is to say that you do not agree with the government because you are a libertarian or a neocon and you believe that Milton Friedman should run Argentina or something like that. Another very different is to say that there is no democracy because there is fraud (which is minimal in Argentina, see the elections in Chubut to check how the electoral justice works, hint: better than in Miami, for sure) or that there is no freedom of the press (which there is).

The day a new President is elected here thanks to a Supreme Court decision in favor of one of the candidate, after a dubious vote recount in a Provincia held by the brother of one of the presidential candidates : I'll be worried about democracy.

But hopefully such things happen in only the most remote African and Asian countries :p

French jurist said:
The day a new President is elected here thanks to a Supreme Court decision in favor of one of the candidate, after a dubious vote recount in a Provincia held by the brother of one of the presidential candidates : I'll be worried about democracy.

But hopefully such things happen in only the most remote African and Asian countries :p

Brutal :) .

How does that song go?

"Old Billy was right, let's kill all the lawyers, kill them ....."

French jurist said:

Sorry, but I think this kind of thinking is both wrong and dangerous. Democracy is more than just voting for one person. Its rule of law, independent judiciary, functioning legislative branches of government, etc. What this comment implies is that we shouldn't worry about minor incursions that gradually reduce freedoms, such as blocking the distribution of newspapers that this thread was started over. If you look at the history of authoritarian regimes you will see that rights and freedoms are often gradually eroded away over time. These obvious incursions to freedom need to be called what they are regardless of how minor they may seem at the time.

If Clarin have violated several laws when they fired these employees, and the judge has ruled so, these people are entitled to whatever compensation the judge ordered. If Clarin fails to comply with the ruling, and these people do not see any other legal recourse to get what they´re entitled to, I do not see how this blockade is threatening democracy, and I find the remarks about `lazy workers´ rather offensive. In this case, Clarin is the `bad guy`, and the fired workers are the good guys.

However, in Argentina there are no good and bad guys. Clarin should comply with the ruling and compensate these people. At the same time, this protest does not seem lawful and so the police should act and end the blockade. However, as this protest is right up the government´s and Moyano´s alley... the police is not going to do anything at all.

That being said, I find it quite amusing how many people here feel the need to defend corporations that violate laws, and instead aim at the people that are asking for compliance with the law.
Then, these same people that defend these companies, complain that the judiciary/police/government is not doing enough to uphold the nation´s laws...

Clarin does not need our sympathy nor help. Rather, we should be angr with them for not complying with labour laws. At the same time we should be mad at the judiciary-government and police for allowing this blockade.

Both big business and big government are a threat to democracy, so lets be critical towards both of them in stead of picking sides.

Just wondering what La Nacion did to get shut down. It seems that it's all Clarin, all the time, and yet La Nacion was shut down too. Why?

ReemsterCARP said:
If Clarin have violated several laws when they fired these employees, and the judge has ruled so, these people are entitled to whatever compensation the judge ordered. If Clarin fails to comply with the ruling, and these people do not see any other legal recourse to get what they´re entitled to, I do not see how this blockade is threatening democracy, and I find the remarks about `lazy workers´ rather offensive. In this case, Clarin is the `bad guy`, and the fired workers are the good guys.

However, in Argentina there are no good and bad guys. Clarin should comply with the ruling and compensate these people. At the same time, this protest does not seem lawful and so the police should act and end the blockade. However, as this protest is right up the government´s and Moyano´s alley... the police is not going to do anything at all.

That being said, I find it quite amusing how many people here feel the need to defend corporations that violate laws, and instead aim at the people that are asking for compliance with the law.
Then, these same people that defend these companies, complain that the judiciary/police/government is not doing enough to uphold the nation´s laws...

Clarin does not need our sympathy nor help. Rather, we should be angr with them for not complying with labour laws. At the same time we should be mad at the judiciary-government and police for allowing this blockade.

Both big business and big government are a threat to democracy, so lets be critical towards both of them in stead of picking sides.

Fairly creative interpretation of events. First I don't really know anything about the labor dispute or do I care. If there is a judgment against Clarin then the government should enforce it. Even if they haven't the people blocking delivery should be in a court room not illegally blocking deliveries. The authorities should remove them immediately when something like this happens. All this situation does is underline the weakness of institutions and the lack of rule of law that exists in Argentina, thanks in large part to the current government.

That is exactly my point. Everybody should respect the law. So why support one side that is violating the law, and condemn the other side for doing exactly the same?

ReemsterCARP said:
That is exactly my point. Everybody should respect the law. So why support one side that is violating the law, and condemn the other side for doing exactly the same?

Because press should be granted special treatment in order to warrant freedom of speech.
A lot can be done to a newspaper if they fire someone improperly - but not stopping the paper from circulating. The police should guarantee that, and they didn't because of government orders. That's suppressing speech, by omission if nothing, but still illegal. They even ignored a previous judgement mandating that this shoulden't happen.
If there's no reaction from the general populace, it will make it much easier to repeat this kind of thing. Hopefully something will come out from the judicial side.

Napoleon said:
Just wondering what La Nacion did to get shut down. It seems that it's all Clarin, all the time, and yet La Nacion was shut down too. Why?
Both factories are one in front of the other (same street), so it is logical that the blockade affected them both, however, La Nacion managed to send their trucks through their back door.

Back