Concerning Argentinas Failure As A Nation

I am very curious to understand how this subject is addressed in the typical Argentine secondary school. Does the education system in Argentina absolves society in general of any responsibility over the coup?

In Brazilian schools, we learn that we've made a pact with the devil back in 1964. The elites, the business people, the land owners, the middle class, the church, everyone was so scared of the commies that they accepted the military coup, thinking that it was it was just going to last a couple of years and then it would be back to normalcy. Only later did everyone figure out that once you open Pandora's Box, there is no going back. You can't put the genie back in the bottle once it is out. And the expected two years of the Junta became twenty. But there is little ambivalence on our history classes that the coup was initially welcomed by a good chunk of our society.
I am absolutely fascinated by (if Mathias view is to be believed) how the Argentines completely exempt themselves of any responsibility on what happened.

I am very curious to understand how this subject is addressed in the typical Argentine secondary school. Does the education system in Argentina absolves society in general of any responsibility over the coup?

In Brazilian schools, we learn that we've made a pact with the devil back in 1964. The elites, the business people, the land owners, the middle class, the church, everyone was so scared of the commies that they accepted the military coup, thinking that it was it was just going to last a couple of years and then it would be back to normalcy. Only later did everyone figure out that once you open Pandora's Box, there is no going back. You can't put the genie back in the bottle once it is out. And the expected two years of the Junta became twenty. But there is little ambivalence on our history classes that the coup was initially welcomed by a good chunk of our society.
I am absolutely fascinated by (if Mathias view is to be believed) how the Argentines completely exempt themselves of any responsibility on what happened.

Well the vast majority have exempted themselves from the responsibility of invading the Falklands even though there are videos of people on the streets celebrating the invasion.

" De alguna manera, el golpe del ’76 se dio con un consenso social bastante grande, sobre todo en la pequeña burguesía urbana y en los sectores urbanos. Los pretextos que se usaron eran, por un lado, económicos: la mala gestión de Isabel.(...)No se puede disociar el golpe de determinadas complicidades, por ejemplo, de un buen sector de la burocracia sindical.(...)También la Iglesia -con excepciones por supuesto- no sólo lo apoyó, sino que confortó a los militares asesinos y torturadores."
http://www.elhistori...as/g/gelman.php

Just like Brazil and the rest of South America.

Tick, tock........Did I just read that? Thanks Terminator you made my day....LOL!

Well I truly wish is was not so to be honest. I bailed in 06 because all my research indicated imminent collapse. I just could not have foreseen the bail outs which were outside of my wildest imaginations. Bail outs will be impossible next time then again I could be wrong. But what is choking us is the same thing that is choking South America.

ENTITLEMENT is a mental virus of the most vile sadistic sort of corruption it is more potent than religion because there is no work or sacrifice associated with it. The I deserve because of breath or I am this or that mentality. The infection is strongest among the ignorant and poor and the richest of the elite and or politicians both of which seem to be infected with a lack of character and integrity. But there are those that know how to administer the infection and cause the virus to multiply. They take the money of the makers and use it to spread the infection and pay for its reproduction.

http://www.nytimes.c...akers.html?_r=0

Even the bailouts where a form of ENTITLEMENT.

ENTITLEMENT from the poor to the rich to the politicians will be our undoing.

http://www.wsj.com/a...619671931313542

GHOST: .Taking responsibiliity comes with maturity.Adolescents often blame their parents or society in general for their own problemsThe same is true for countries.As Argentina matures as a nation,its people are beginning to show more collective responsibility.Fortunately,there are already signs of this .i.e. the trials of the last military junta.They will "cry victim" less as time goes on.This "lamento argentino" is well known throughout L.A. In 1992 while visiting Rio de Janeiro during the impeachment demonstratons against Collor de Mello,I was in a taxi with my brother.Upon telling the driver that I lived in Argentina and my brother in the U..S,the cabbie began to go into some amateur theatrics,crying "boo hoo" and wiping his eyes with the back of his hand.My brother,who speaks no Portuguese,asked why he was doing that.I answered that he was giving us his Argentine imitation .No more explanation was necessary My brother who also had clients in B..A, ,broke out laughing.CAMBERIU :Very good article on the corruption in Brazil.Personally,I think wholesale cases like the petrolao will begin to lessen but not the smaller retail ones. I remember "o bicheiro " and " o jogo da corrupcao" .

Blaming argentines for the dictatorship and the Falklands war is practically the same as blaming american PEOPLE for Vietnam, Irak, Afghanistan (and a long etcetera). The difference is that in Argentina that government was imposed by force, by a coup, and repressed heavily a good portion of its population that oposed, while in the US, it is a democratical government with A LOT of support from a good portion of its population.

Blaming argentines for the dictatorship and the Falklands war is practically the same as blaming american PEOPLE for Vietnam, Irak, Afghanistan (and a long etcetera). The difference is....

Yes it is. The difference is that, if you are to be believed, Argentines take no responsibility whatsoever.

GHOST: .Taking responsibiliity comes with maturity.Adolescents often blame their parents or society in general for their own problemsThe same is true for countries.As Argentina matures as a nation,its people are beginning to show more collective responsibility."

Having Argentina as a neighbor is a blessing. It is one of the very few countries in the world that can make Brazil look good (and that is saying something).

Back