Corn Tortillas

JHB1216

Registered
Maybe this is a dumb question but do they sell corn tortillas here in Buenos Aires?

on a similar note, what about quinoa? i've tried to look in the supermarket but no luck. Is it the same name in Spanish?

Yes, to both questions...I have found good corn tortilla chips in the smaller family owned neighborhood grocery stores. I am sorry I don't remember the name...but they are in clear plastic bags with black writing and triangle shaped and good!

Quinoa...can be found at most of the major grocery stores and in Health food stores...
A very good brand is, La Esquina de Las Flores, the quinoa is in a red bag with green and black. I have found it consistantly at Cotto's and Jumbo's...

The company phone number is: 4813-3630 & link to their website:
http://www.esquinadelasflores.com.ar/ingles.htm

The also have good brown rice, both long and short grain and other grains too and dried beans. High quality products and many are organic.

A chip is not a tortilla.

If you can find Masa flour, its easy to make your own tortillas- the only ingredients are flour and water. And you dont really need a press- hand made tortillas are thicker than machine pressed ones, but still pretty darn good, and prefered for things like Gorditas and Sopes.

here is a recipe.

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/004141how_to_make_corn_tortillas.php

However, I have no idea if you can find masa flour.
Seems like you should be able to, as it is used in most andean cuisines.

JHB1216 said:
Maybe this is a dumb question but do they sell corn tortillas here in Buenos Aires?

Guys, Gals..Argentina is NOT Mexico, no tortillas, no spicy food, no fajitas, no burritos, no jalapenos, no tabasco, no guacamole, no mariachis singing with big sombreros, not here...sorry.

But probably you can get the ingredients if wish to cook at home.

Saying that there is hope for all of you who like this mexican stuff..and it's here.

Get Mexican Food in Buenos Aires!
The California Burrito Company (CBC)

CBC has received a lot of attention in the BA blogosphere since it opened, so I’m going to keep this one short. Saltshaker already gave it a thumbs up, and Alan gave it one of his super-thorough look-sees. Here’s my take. One of my biggest disappointments about Buenos Aires has been the lack of good Mexican food. In fact, it may be my only legitimate let-down. Honestly though, I have no one to blame for this but myself. My culinary expectations for the country included the excessive use of tortillas, but alas, I was dead wrong (oops).

While every restaurant serves steak, salads, chicken, and empanadas, none have burritos, real hot sauce, or good salsa. So some duders from California recognized this gaping hole in the market and have taken a great stab and filling it with shredded carne, guacamole, and some picante salsa that is worthy of its name, “Fuego.”

More info:Get Mexican Food in Buenos Aires!

California Burrito Company
Lavalle 441, Buenos Aires
4328-3057 / 4328-3056
Clik here to go CBC Website

Also some lately open mexican restaurants in the city
Mexican Food, Buenos Aires

Lucas said:
Guys, Gals..Argentina is NOT Mexico, no tortillas, no spicy food, no fajitas, no burritos, no jalapenos, no tabasco, no guacamole, no mariachis singing with big sombreros, not here... .
The level of North American ignorance is amazing -- many Americans think that all Latin America is similar to Mexico -- and equalled only by Latin American ignorance of the United States and Canada -- the poor folk think that the big and little silver screens are genuinely reflective of realities north of the Rio Grande.

Lucas said:
Guys, Gals..Argentina is NOT Mexico, no tortillas, no spicy food, no fajitas, no burritos, no jalapenos, no tabasco, no guacamole, no mariachis singing with big sombreros, not here...sorry.

Excuse me, but could it be possible that the original poster was simply asking if he could find a certain product without stating or subconsciously assuming that Argentina is Mexico? If someone asks for a good sushi recommendation, does that mean that the person is confusing Argentina with Japan?

This was posted on another forum:::
I was given the name below as a contact for tortillas (corn and flour) and fried corn chips. Not quite the same as the US, but at least you could get them and they were ok when you "need some" Mexican food.

Patricia Notburga Ornia Pacher [email protected]

She has a minimum order and I do not know what it is. I ordered from her as part of a group about a year ago. One person coordinated the order, gathered the money, accepted the delivery and made the payment. Then everyone picked them up from one place. About 10 people went in together - I remember they had an excel spreadsheet.

M.A Murphy

allcraz said:
Excuse me, but could it be possible that the original poster was simply asking if he could find a certain product without stating or subconsciously assuming that Argentina is Mexico? If someone asks for a good sushi recommendation, does that mean that the person is confusing Argentina with Japan?

Well written. I really dislike when people say "you are in Argentina, not...". Somethings are really difficult to find here and people should be able to ask here without being criticised or patronised. :mad:

Since corn tortillas are available in most grocery stores in the USA and Canada, including Alaska, as well as much farther south than Mexico.
Its not really THAT offensive to ask if they are available in BsAs.

No more so than the people who ask about Marmite or Jarlsberg cheese.

Masa flour is a staple food in Ecuador, and Peru, for example.

Back