"Coronavirus: Oxford vaccine triggers immune response"

Status
Not open for further replies.
....A person familiar with the situation, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said that the participant who experienced the suspected adverse reaction had been enrolled in a Phase 2/3 trial based in the United Kingdom. The individual also said that a volunteer in the U.K. trial had received a diagnosis of transverse myelitis, an inflammatory syndrome that affects the spinal cord and is often sparked by viral infections. However, the timing of this diagnosis, and whether it was directly linked to AstraZeneca’s vaccine, is still unknown.

Transverse myelitis can result from a number of causes that set off the body’s inflammatory responses, including viral infections, said Dr. Gabriella Garcia, a neurologist at Yale New Haven Hospital. But, she added, the condition is often treatable with steroids.

AstraZeneca declined to comment on the location of the participant and did not confirm the diagnosis of transverse myelitis. “The event is being investigated by an independent committee, and it is too early to conclude the specific diagnosis,” the company said....

September 30, 2020 6:40pm UPDATED 14 hours ago
....AstraZeneca’s large, late-stage U.S. trial has remained on hold since Sept. 6....

Personally, I suffer from mounting skepticism about polls. And with a sample size of "over 1000" people, this one has a sizable margin of error. But still, I found it amusing to learn that many of my countrymen are skeptical of any vaccine. Note that this poll didn't say which vaccine.

UPDATE: 22 Oct 2020 at 7:30am....Canal Trece, interview of Dr. Nelson Castro who confirmed that "the Brazilian volunteer who died of COVID-19 was a 28 year-old physician who had been given a placebo".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back