Covid Vaccination Argentina

What do you consider to be useful? I believe it is about 50-60% after the first dose, and goes above 90% a couple of weeks after the second one.
For example, apparently people who wear eyeglasses (normal ones) have about 30% less probability to get infected. Is this useful?

Or it may be because Israel has twice more people fully vaccinated (percentage wise) than Chile.

These are the relevant quotes from the EMOL articles, they don't correspond with what you believe:

"los análisis de efectividad de Sinovac, según dosis aplicada, es la siguiente: - Para solo 1 dosis: 3% efectividad - Para 2 dosis, pero la segunda en menos de 14 días: 27,7% efectividad - Para 2 dosis y la segunda hace dos semanas o más: 56,5% efectividad"

Fuente: Emol.com - https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacio...rimer-estudio-efectividad-sinovac-uchile.html

And also:

"El estudio, indica que existe una efectividad estimada de un 54% para la vacuna Sinovac en Chile, considerando a personas con segunda dosis completa (es decir, más de 14 días desde su inoculación)".

Fuente: Emol.com - https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacio...desafios-primer-estudio-vacunacion-chile.html

Does any of that sound useful to you?

Meanwhile in Peru 7 doctors vaccinated with Sinopharm (the other commonly used vaccine in Argentina) have been infected with COVID, where the Manaus and UK strains are rampant. What’s worrying is that 3 of them who only received the first dose are now admitted to intensive care due to the severity of their condition.

Meanwhile in Peru 7 doctors vaccinated with Sinopharm (the other commonly used vaccine in Argentina) have been infected with COVID, where the Manaus and UK strains are rampant. What’s worrying is that 3 of them who only received the first dose are now admitted to intensive care due to the severity of their condition.

That report is interesting. They don't say how soon after the first dose the 3 doctors ended up in intensive care, only this: "Es importante decir que estos (tres) médicos que están en la unidad de cuidados intensivos habían recibido (solamente) la primera dosis y luego se infectaron. No llegaron a completar la segunda dosis"

Update on my gf's kindergarden: the families of 2 kids in one bubble have COVID cases. It remains to be seen if the teacher will test positive (all teachers tested again today), and if the school will inform the families of the other kids in that bubble. Plus another teacher is showing symptoms (together with her husband). If your criterion for being worried is "dropping like flies", then we're not there yet, but IMHO the trend is not reassuring.

It appears even the Chinese government are now critical of Sinopharm and Sinovac.

Given the issues around keeping up with mutations etc, we may be lucky that new drugs for treatment of COVID are in phase 3 testing. Perhaps at the end of the day it won’t be vaccines alone that end the pandemic but tamiflu-style remedies to minimize deaths and serious cases?

It appears even the Chinese government are now critical of Sinopharm and Sinovac.

Apparently, he didn't criticize the vaccines, but just said that there is a place for improvement.

By the way, it looks like China only accepts people vaccinated by a Chinese vaccine.

For the newly qualified entrants, entry depends on having received two doses of Chinese-made Covid-19 vaccines at least 14 days prior to entry.

Most of the criticism / wishes for improvement (with hard numbers from Chile, as I mentioned previously in this thread) seem to be focused on SinoVac, not so much on Sinopharm, which has reported 70-80% efficacy in trials. Given that the SinoVac data was available quite some time ago, the poor real-world performance looks like criminal irresponsibility on the part of the countries using it. Chile's daily cases are above 8000 again today, there has certainly been no let up there. Uruguay is also using SinoVac and it's doesn't look good there either. Brazil is producing SinoVac and has a genocidal nutcase president, it looks awful there.

Closer to here, I mentioned in a previous post what exponential COVID growth will do to ICU bed occupancy, that is, exhaust the capacity of the health system within a week. It didn't take long, really not much more than a week, and it looks like we're there already:

There are times when I would prefer not to be right, and this is one of them.

My personal go-to indicator, the length of the queue to be tested outside CEMIC, was half a block today, down from one and a half blocks during the week, but maybe it's only because it's Sunday.

When put into context, I don't think he is "admitting" Chinese vaccines' effectiveness is low; rather, he's "admitting" the mRNA approach (Pfizer, Moderna, J&J) can be much superior, so China should invest into the new technology instead of being complacent about the traditional vaccines it had developed.
The Chinese vaccine has a 50% effectiveness in preventing any kind of infection, but effectiveness in preventing serious cases resulting in hospitalization or death is close to 100%. The 50% of cases are mild symptoms. This vaccine shouldn’t be discouraged if no alternatives are available, since it will still save lives when administered.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CoronaVac

Back