Crazy Low Flying Argentinians

Indeed. Now, here is the interesting part:
Uruguay share borders with only two countries, Brazil and Argentina. Considering that the maintenance contract for the Uruguayan's F-5 Tiger 3s went to EMBRAER, I wonder who they had in mind when they bought those war planes :)

the probability of an armed conflict with uruguay is and will be ridiculous.

Lets buy war craft from a country that we just screwed out of an oil company. This is typical long range planning. And even worse they go out and buy junk. With DOLLARS no less. Why buy 20 flying junkers when the Russians have the MIG on fire sale status. And the MIG is a pretty good plane. Buy 5 good MIGs. Or 3 good F18s. But don't buy flying targets that aren't even likely to be servicable. Come to think of it.........spend the money on roads and schools.

I smell a dirty deal somewhere.

the biggest dirt I smell is that the government says those jets will be replaced in 5 years but we all know that the air force with fly them for the next 40 years.

the biggest dirt I smell is that the government says those jets will be replaced in 5 years but we all know that the air force with fly them for the next 40 years.
I will bet you that only 8 are delivered...........................

I am pretty confident that all the planes will be delivered. The issue will be to keep them flying. There is no maintenance contract with the manufacturer (Dassault), most of the needed spare parts are no longer being made, and Spain used the hell out of these planes during their 22 years of services on the Spanish air force. I suspect these planes will sit on the hangar most of the time and might do a few fly-bys during national holidays and such. On paper, Argentina will continue to have an air force equipped with super sonic planes, so the national "honor" will be maintained, and that is that.

so glad Argentina (and Latin Amnerica in general) is out of the Carrera Armamentistica....

so glad Argentina (and Latin Amnerica in general) is out of the Carrera Armamentistica....

That is actually not entirely true. Although South America in indeed the least militarized continent in the world, Chile, Colombia, Peru and even tiny Uruguay have been upgrading their military over the past several years. Brazil itself is a case apart, where the country is now building a nuclear powered submarine, a native cruise missile with over 300 KM range and 2-4 meter level of target accuracy, combat and surveillance drones, among many other very ambitious military programs. But that is because the country now thinks (right or wrong) that it is world power.

But the point is that by no means one can assume that the other countries in the region are giving up on their militaries and are not re-arming.

I am pretty confident that all the planes will be delivered. The issue will be to keep them flying. There is no maintenance contract with the manufacturer (Dassault), most of the needed spare parts are no longer being made, and Spain used the hell out of these planes during their 22 years of services on the Spanish air force. I suspect these planes will sit on the hangar most of the time and might do a few fly-bys during national holidays and such. On paper, Argentina will continue to have an air force equipped with super sonic planes, so the national "honor" will be maintained, and that is that.

Actually there still are F1s in France, so there are parts. The French airforce will remove them in 2014 (they appeared in 1966!!!).

Back