Crazy prices at MALBA

sergio

Registered
Has anyone eaten at the MALBA cafe recently? The place used to be slightly expensive but affordable. I stopped by today and here are some of the amazing prices I discovered: small coffee: $8; croissant: 3,50; glass of wine $17-$22; desserts $24 to $37 ($24 was an ensalada de frutas); salads $28, $35, $36, bife de lomo $58, suprema de pollo $48, sandwiches $33-$41. This is a pleasant cafe but no luxury restaurant. I was amazed!

Sergio-Thanks for the price update. I had heard from a friend recently that they had really gone over the top. I think prices in restaurants and cafe, in general, are a joke. If I have a cortado and a piece of horrible "limon pie" its around 20 pesos. Well I cannot justify $US 7 for that. For me, its not a matter of being able to afford things, per se, its a matter of when I say "enough is enough". I just don't bother. Its bad enough that the prices at the supermarket are a joke for what you get. I remember that a 250g package of Segafredo expresso used to be 4.90. Now they are charging in excess of 15 pesos! Forget Americans complaining about inflation in the U.S. They have no idea what real inflation is like. I am easily spending twice as much as I did two or three years ago for the same things or less. Have you even seen the prices of cereal which each box gives you around three small servings? As I said, I just don't buy it. Oatmeal and Cream of Wheat go alot farther.
Guess I shouldn't complain as a few others will say I am wrong of course and my view is completely negative and that Argentina is wonderful and will come roaring back.

Unfortunately, cafés and restaurants which are part of a museum or gallery tend to have higher prices anyway. Although i find these prices outrageous, if you want to have a nice meal, there are tons of other - cheaper - restaurants in the vicinity.

I agree with you Sergio about Malba and prices in general in cafes and restaurants. In a country as rich ar Argentinas it it completely unjustified the prices I see here . Many products like all nuts. all dried fruits , fish , cheeses are very expensive.
Coffee is around 6 pesos a cup now for low quality non arabica bean .

Prices are through the roof here!! out of control. i went to buy a birthday cake and very average look quality cakes were so expensive. an apple cake, medium sized was 102 pesos, and a chocolate and dulce de leche cake was 72. This was in a bakery in Boedo, hardly recolleta. i ended up buying a mouse cake for 60 pesos. was very average, i was very disappointed. even the kids didnt like it. I should know by now that argentina has mediocre bakeries. low quality and untrained staff, but mostly cheap ingredients, artificial flavor, and cheap ingredients (repeating that as they are so consistent with their low quality).
anyway, i hardly earn 60 pesos in a day. i paid a days wages on that mediocre cake. When i lived in the states, i could buy a nice cake without thinking twice about it. here i felt like i was buying a watch or something.
the same bakery in boedo has trays of these racial stereotype cookies. i plan to go with my camera and ill send you guys a link how you can see them. One has an african male with really large red lips and big nose. the other cookie is a black child with an afro and same feature. i really found these cookies strange. im sure many of you will agree.
anyway, prices are soaring here, quality remains rock bottom low.

"JG" said:
Prices are through the roof here!! out of control. i went to buy a birthday cake and very average look quality cakes were so expensive. an apple cake, medium sized was 102 pesos, and a chocolate and dulce de leche cake was 72. This was in a bakery in Boedo, hardly recolleta. i ended up buying a mouse cake for 60 pesos. was very average, i was very disappointed. even the kids didnt like it. I should know by now that argentina has mediocre bakeries. low quality and untrained staff, but mostly cheap ingredients, artificial flavor, and cheap ingredients (repeating that as they are so consistent with their low quality).
anyway, i hardly earn 60 pesos in a day. i paid a days wages on that mediocre cake. When i lived in the states, i could buy a nice cake without thinking twice about it. here i felt like i was buying a watch or something.
the same bakery in boedo has trays of these racial stereotype cookies. i plan to go with my camera and ill send you guys a link how you can see them. One has an african male with really large red lips and big nose. the other cookie is a black child with an afro and same feature. i really found these cookies strange. im sure many of you will agree.
anyway, prices are soaring here, quality remains rock bottom low.

I don´t know where you buy your cakes, but I had a bunch of Bdays lately and bought excellent cakes at my favorite store in Recoleta @ 55$... I think you have been owned!

"JG" said:
What's the problem?

What's the problem with the black face cookies? Very simply, they are demeaning and so are the the black jockey and black mammy statues that are frequently seen here and sold in some shops. Anyone who lives in the US knows that these would never be tolerated and the same goes for most or probably all of Europe. Regarding the outrageous prices at the MALBA cafe, they have soared in a relatively short time. The closest place to eat is the nearby shopping center which is not especially cheap. To find a comparable restaurant you would have to take a taxi, so it is not true that there is local competition.

Man, they are COOKIES. They do not depict reality. In reality, these cookies have fictitious characters on them.
That they wouldn't be tolerated in the US doesn't surprise me, because it seems to be the most politically-correct country in the world when it comes to ethnicity.
Then again, that is not what this thread is about...

Thank god all hippies leave when Argentina is getting to expensive for them

Back