Crazy prices at MALBA

My parents came to visit just a few weeks ago. They had been reading guide books and articles that raved about how cheap Argentina is (WAS) - I warned them that these guide books with 2005 copyrights were misleading. But it just didn't sink in; each time we went out to eat, my father exclaimed, "This is what I would pay in the U.S...or more!" I sighed silently...Yes, yes...and just think how we who earn pesos feel.

Why would he care how much an Argentine earns?
I sure don´t

Do you think potential tourists are catching onto the fact that it isn´t so cheap here anymore?

"austin" said:
Do you think potential tourists are catching onto the fact that it isn´t so cheap here anymore?
Yes, especially the Americans who come from a country going into a recession
Not that I am going to miss them

"CABJ" said:
Quoting CABJ: Why would he care how much an Argentine earns?
I sure don´t
Will you care when an armed gang storms into the San Isidro restaurant where you are dining and robs you (and the rest of the patrons) of your money, jewelry, and cellphones? The carteneros and negroes that you disdain may be absent from your neighborhood (as you previously posted), but some of those Argentines who earn little (or nothing) may still be able to find you as they try to survive, by force if necessary.

Someone on this thread sounds like a real piece of work and I think we all know who.I believe Steveinbsas put it best. Doesn't anyone notice the anger and disdain on some people's faces when they see someone well dressed with shopping bags? Its kinda scary. I had a friend recently who had quite a run-in with a taxi driver. He asked to go from Retiro to go home late at night on Rod. Pena y Posadas. The taxi driver proceeded to take him, after two discussions, in the opposite direction. Then he finally stated he didn't know where it was after he was given instructions. My friend, Argentine/American, asked to just stop and he would get another cab. When he got out, the taxi driver got out too. He was yelling and screaming about how my friend thinks he is a "negrito" and he hates white people and hated him! All with eyes gouging. My friend never called him anything. Point is: There is some serious hate out there and jealousy among the lower classes. You have to be discreet and careful with these people.

"steveinbsas" said:
Quoting CABJ: Why would he care how much an Argentine earns?

I sure don´t

Will you care when an armed gang storms into the San Isidro restaurant where you are dining and robs you (and the rest of the patrons) of your money, jewelry, and cellphones? The carteneros and negroes that you disdain may be absent from your neighborhood (as you previously posted), but some of those Argentines who earn little (or nothing) may still be able to find you as they try to survive, by force if necessary.
What does it have to with Americans leaving?

Just curious - for the people who have seen inflation go up over the years... Are you working and earning? If so what currency do you earn in?Is the problem that argentina isn't as cheap for foreigners as it used to be, or that your argentine salary isn't going as far as it used to?

"CABJ" said:
Quoting CABJ: "Why would he care how much an Argentine earns?

I sure don´t"

Also quoting CABJ:

"What does it have to with Americans leaving?"

Did you mean to ask "what does it have to DO with Americans leaving?"

What does "Americans leaving" (which was only referred to by you, CABJ) have to do with the topic?

Why would you care about the Americans here when you don't care about the Argentines you came here to live with?

American tourists aren't leaving because of high prices here. They leave when thier vacation is over. I'm an American expat who has adjusted to higher prices by not eating in unreasonably priced restaurants, like the one in MALBA, shopping carefully, and cooking at home.

I have no intention of leaving. Sorry if that dissappoints you.

Well, not really.

My Argentine wages are not going up fast enough and my dollar income has much less value. It is a combination of the two. Prices are pretty close to those in the US. A lot of things are more expensive like buying and maintaining a car etc

Back