Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Shooting

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other crime

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I have not personally been a victim of a crime in BsAs

Votes: 28 22.8%

• Total voters
I was pick-pocketed in Barcelona in 1971. They got my girlfriend's (now my wife) passport and all of her money. She was then stuck with me :=) .

A couple of years ago I was in an outdoor cafe (in BA) and reached in my pocket for something and accidentally dropped 200 pesos out of my pocket. A gentleman came along and while walking past, pointed to the dropped money. Can I subtract a point for this?

Gun robbery - La Boca - 20 pesos - Jejejejejeje! (some people would pay a lot more only to have the experience)

Respondents = 137

Crime .................. Number Percentage
Pockets picked ............ 38 ...... 27.8
Burglary ........................ 8 ........ 5.8
Theft, other ................. 27 ...... 19.7
Robbery, other ........... 12 ........ 9.2

Armed robbery ............. 9 ........ 6.6
Stabbed ....................... 1 ........ 0.7
Shot ............................. 1 ........ 0.7

Other crimes ............... 14 ...... 10.2

The percentage sums up to more than 100 because we are counting number of crimes, not number of victims.

Fortunately the number of dangerous crimes are only 11 or 8 percent.
Not good, could be worse.

Number non-victims .. 68 ...... 49.6
Number victims ......... 69 ...... 50.4

Number of crimes .. 110
Crimes per victim ... 1.6

While I lived In BsAs for a year... I got a few fake bills...but that was about it. In general you need some street smarts to avoid more serious crime. That being said.. of the roughly 40 people I "knew" in town (both ex-pat and local)...most (80%)have been victim to a mugging, robbery, theft, burglary ... Been living in Los Angeles for the past 2 years... I "know" about 40 people here too... not one has been a victim of any crime...

now people say on this board "please dont dress like a foreigner"? what is the dress code of a u.s foreigner??

BROOKLYN said:
now people say on this board "please dont dress like a foreigner"? what is the dress code of a u.s foreigner??

From this thread: Avoid Becoming a Victim of Crime

steveinbsas said:
One of the best ways to avoid being a victim of street crime is NOT to look or act so much like a tourist: A baseball cap, golf/polo shirt, tan pants, white athletic shoes, map in hand, and a camera around the neck is a dangerously inviting combination.

Sometimes it is also possible to spot a couple from the US when the man is seen walking ahead/in front of the woman (but not for security purposes).:rolleyes:

Saw my my second robbery today (saw a failed one on Malabia) when I was walking to lunch in Palermo Hollywood. I was walking down Goritti and across the street at a hotel with an outdoor cafe (forget the name of the hotel), I saw a total of four guys doubled up on two motorcycles pull up to a group of diners.

Two of the guys jumped into the group dining and snatched the bags of the women. They jumped on the back of the motorcycles and bolted away.

While we're on the subject of the doom and gloom of Pick Pocketers and the bad fortune of people losing their belongings, I have a feel good story surrounding the subject :)

Last week, I was changing trains from the C line to the D line of the subte, and I noticed some bigtime shady characters in there. Well, when the train stopped I noticed a commotion at the door next to me, then there was an all out fight. Next thing I knew, one of the guys fighting (who was in plain street clothes) yelled POLICIA and drew his gun then pointed at the other guys head. Apparently this thief and his sidekick tried to pickpocket an offduty police officer and his friend, BOTH whom had guns ready to party:) I just wanted to stand up and CHEER!!

It was such a great feeling seeing the good guys win for once and the look on the pick pocketers' faces were PRICELESS!! And it's not like the thieves were teenagers either, these criminals had to have been in their 50s, just sad, BUT THIEVES 100 GOODGUYS 1

Back