D. N. I.

well i am thinking of being there for a year at least, if not longer. my ticket is open for a year so i'll review the sitution then.
ok, earnings.....this neatly brings me on to another issue. i was looking into doing freelance medical secretarial and translation work online which pays well and in pounds (a no brainer). if i'm earning even £6 an hour (less than half of what i earn now) that is equivocal to what i could expect to get for an hour's teaching in BA. however, slightly worried about tax issues......
if i am being paid by an english company but my earnings are not significant (from a monetary point of view in pounds) and i am also working part time in argie doing various different things, do i need to declare tax, either in the UK or argie? given that i am not residing in britain, and therefore not reaping the (ahem) benefits (?) such as state healthcare or benefits, council local area regeneration/upkeep etc why would i have to declare what small amount of money i earn?
it's just seeming increasingly apparent from the tepid responses from qualified english teachers that TEFL does not equal a pot of gold and the salaries aren't particularly lucrative, and it's hard to rack up hours, and therefore high earnings.
i also hope to have a market stall in palermo one day a week selling vintage clothing and cupcakes, as i do here in the UK. here it pays me very well, i am practically living off it.

diosaarenosa, I have a similar situation to yourself and doing the paperwork is fairly simple - if you're a medical sec then it will be easy.
one of the key things you need to get is a UK police certificate and it takes 40 working days to get to you - apply for it now at your local police station - costs about £10 - you can also do it online.
And a 'certified copy of an entry' of your birth certificate - costs about £10 - do it online..
Then you have to get both of the above documents 'apostilled', 'translated' by a public translator and 'legalised' by the colegio de traductores.
The 'apostilles' you can do through the British embassy here costs about £100 (you can do it in London somewhere in Temple for £50 same day) - the 'translation' and 'legalisation' costs about AR$200 for the 2 docs - there are plenty of translators.
You need you mothers birth certificate - if you havent got the original then you can go to the registro civil in the area where she was born and get a certified copy from the 'book'. They will give you a photocopy with a stamp and date on the back - nothing fancy at all.
You will need to get an argentine police certificate - why, I dont know but you do - its easy to get and cost 5 quid - you do it in town at the police headquarters - its a form and fingerprints.
And all pages photocopied of your passport and recent photos.
Go to 'radacciones' at immgration present your papers, pay the fee - as you qualify without problem because of your mother - you do not need a lawyer - should be straight forward process.
That will get you a 'certificado de precaria' which makes you 'legal' to work etc then a month later you can go an pick up your little booklet thingy - very old fashioned.
There you - go saved you a tonne of cash and time.
Taxes - pay your British taxes you are 'tax resident' & 'domiciled' - there is not much point denouncing this cos you loose your rights to medical and state benefits should you return. And work remotely best idea.
I don't believe ARG taxes individuals on their worldwide income like the US or UK.
Getting an AR passport - pointless really for you (unless someone knows different - you used to have to renounce any other nationality on getting an AR passport). I have done it - been to the Policia Federal in Puerto Madero - don't know the benefit of getting one - I guess the DNI will allow you to work in any MERCOSUR country and take the shorter queue at immigrations, but as Stevebsas points out 'you still have to wait for you luggage like everyone else' - and there is no urgency in baggage handling at EZE.
Tonnes of people work in 'black' - locals and foreigners - you have to evaluate wheter it is worth it to go through the 'tramites' - it might be a journey of discovery for you - immigraciones is a bun fight - its quite good fun.

The UK police certificate, your birth certificate, and that of your mother would all need the certification of the Apostille. As Fisface notes, this can be done (and is cheaper) in the UK. Then all three documents would need to be translated and legalized. This can be done here after you arrive and it is fast and inexpensive.Your passport would need to be copied (all pages), translated, and legalized as well. It does not need the Apostille. The translation of your passport can be done at the same time as the other documents.
When you present all of the documents at migraciones they will take your photo (holding a number in front of you, just like a criminal). They didn't want the photos I had with me.
You will return to migraciones in the next 30 days to receive the 'certificado de precaria'. THEN (unless there has been a recent change) you will go to the "registro de las personas" to apply for your DNI.I only had to provide photos when applying for the DNI (at the registro

de las personas). I had the photos taken there (in the building

itself) and it only cost 10 or 15 pesos. The DNI itself was only 15 pesos and they don't make change.
Some have recently posted that it now takes about a year to actually receive the DNI (the "little booklet thingy" as Fishface affectionately calls it). This has been done in an attempt to get "clients" for an "immigration" lawyer who supposedly can "get anyone a DNI in 40 days." Fishface's post implies that one returns to migraciones in a month to receive the DNI, but that was not the procedure I followed two years ago. Since then I have not heard of DNI's being issued by migraciones. I waited exactly 90 days to receive my DNI after submitting the appropriate documents (the visa, another copy of my passport, and a certificado de domicilo.) at the registro de las personas. I hope Fishface will add more to this topic soon, clarifying his experience with this process.Argentina does not tax temporary residents on income or assets outside of Argentina. Temporary residents are subject to Argentine income and social security taxes on any income earned in Argentina. Permanent residents and Argentine citizens are subject to tax on worldwide income and assets. US citizens working in Argentina are exempt from pay US federal income tax on the first $84,000 USD earned here, and if that income is subject to social security taxes here, US citizens are also exempt from paying the US social security taxes as well...at least for now.
Next week I will go to migraciones to renew my visa and then to the registro de las personas to renew my DNI. If I encounter any major changes, I'll post them here.

I got the 'certificado de precaria' at the point of presenting the papers.
I got the impression that this document was as good as the DNI - I was told I was legal to work and stay from the point the gestor signed and stamped the document. And if I left the country I have to get that document stamped in and out and not to enter AR on a tourist visa as I am no longer permitted this visa.
Sorry, I meant I went back to immigrations for another stamp on paper after 30 days and then to go to the registro civil to pick up the booklet - where I had to hand them my legalised birth certificate (he said 'as you won't need it anymore' scary)
I didn't need a translated legalised copy of my passport either.
Didn't need the Certificado de domicilio either.
photos - you have to do them like normal passport photos but look to the left and up a bit to show your part profile and ear - another funny quirk of Argentina.
It may be the case that 'rentistas/pensionistas' have a tougher time with their tramites than familiar claims - familiar claim is permanent residence no need to renew.

Thanks Fishface, That's great information. You are right about the difference between rentista and famliar based residency. Having to renew each year is a pain, but not terribly difficult. I have been told after my third year I can apply for the permanent residency. I am looking forward to it.
I also received the 'certificado de precaria' at the point of presenting the papers, and returned to migraciones to get the actual "visa papers" a few weeks later. I took those two pages, photocopies of the translated copy of my passport, and the certificado de domicilo to the registro civil to apply for the DNI. I'm repeating that information here for the benefit of those who are also applying for temporary residency sans family ties, and possibly face a more zealous enforcement of the regulations. In other words, if the officials at the registro civil ask for something that is on the list of required documents, it's best to have it. While migraciones requires the translated passport, the registro civil may not: I had it, so that's what I provided. The official at the registro specifically told me to bring the certificado de domicilo when I first went there to ask for a "turno" to submit the docs for the DNI. I missed my first appointment as I did not yet have the visa, but when I returned to make another apointment they were actually accepting the applications the same day (mornings only). Two hours later I was done.
During the 90 days I was waiting to return to pick up the DNI (afternoons only), I traveled out of the country with my visa papers and received a residencia temporaria stamp in my passport bearing the renewal date of my visa rentista/DNI as opposed to a residencia transitoria (tourist) stamp when I returned.How long did you have to wait to actually receive the "little booklet thingy" AKA the DNI after submitting the papers at the registro civil?

I went to migraciones today to renew my visa rentista. I had the same papers as last year, along with a translation of my new passport. It wasn't quite enough. This year they are asking for a new (less than six months old) certificado de antecedentes penales en argentina. They did not ask for it when I renewed last year.
It is possible to get a form on line and pay at any branch of the banco nacion. The fees vary slightly on how fast you want to pick up the certificaten(8 hours, 24 hours, or 5 days) after submitting the form and providing fingerprints. There really isn't an eight hour service, but 24 hour service is adequate. http://www.dnrec.jus.gov.ar/TramPerWeb/inicio.aspx
The on line information indicates that you can then "apply for" and obtain the certificado at one of the centros de gestacion publico (CGP), but not all listed on the website perform the service. When I went to the CGP location closest to my apartment, they gave me a list with four locations, including Cabildo 3067 in Palermo that does issue the certificados. I also spoke with a man at migraciones who told me he obtained his certifacado at Piedras 115 (el centro), but it isn't on the list. I'll go to Cabildo tomorrow and add more information as soon as I have it.

Apart from criminal records, if you are a "rentista" there are high chances that they will ask you to prove that you have been transfering your "rent" into your argentine bank account during the last year, so you will need the "boleto de compraventa de divisas", your argentine bank statements and even an accountant certification of income (legalized by consejo profesional).
Perhaps you were lucky and were not requested this today, then good for you, but know it just in case, since in most of my clients filings they require all this. Cheers.

"steveinbsas" said:
I went to migraciones today to renew my visa rentista. I had the same papers as last year, along with a translation of my new passport. It wasn't quite enough. This year they are asking for a new (less than six months old) certificado de antecedentes penales en argentina.
It is possible to get a form on line and pay at any branch of the banco nacion. The fees vary slightly on how fast you want to pick up the certificate(8 hours, 24hours, or 5 days) after submitting the form and providing fingerprints.
The on line information indicates that you can then "apply for" and obtain the certificado at one of several centros de gestacion publico (CGP), but not all on the list perform the service. When I went to the CGP location closest to my apartment, they gave me a list with four locations, including Cabildo 3067 that actually issue the certificados. I also spoke with a man at migraciones who told me he obtained his certifacado at Piedras 115, but it isn't on the list. I'll go to Cabildo tomorrow and add more information as soon as I have it.

"Attorney" said:
Apart from criminal records, if you are a "rentista" there are high chances that they will ask you to prove that you have been transfering your "rent" into your argentine bank account during the last year, so you will need the "boleto de compraventa de divisas", your argentine bank statements and even an accountant certification of income (legalized by consejo profesional).
Perhaps you were lucky and were not requested this today, then good for you, but know it just in case, since in most of my clients filings they require all this. Cheers.

My "visa rentista" as it is reffered to on the Argentine migraciones website has nothing to do with receiving income (including rent) in Argentina.The following requirements for the visa are copied directly from that site: http://www.mininterior.gov.ar/migraciones/radicacion_e_mercosur.asp
C.4- Rentista
Todo extranjero
que solvente su estadía en la República Argentina con recursos propios
traídos desde el exterior, de las rentas que los mismos produzcan, o de
cualquier otro ingreso lícito proveniente de fuentes externas, podrá
radicarse en nuestro país acompañando, además de la documentación
personal, la siguiente documental para el encuadre migratorio:

1.- Toda aquella documentación que permita acreditar en forma
fehaciente los ingresos económicos provenientes de país extranjero, y
que sean fuente suficiente para solventar su estadía en la República
Argentina.
IMPORTANTE:
Si el monto del ingreso no estuviera especificado en moneda nacional,
deberá presentar la conversión efectuada por autoridad competente (ej.
Banco Nación). Migraciones sees the "proof" of my foreign income in documents sent from the US (all with Apostille and then translated and legalized here). They never askif I work in Argentina or have rental income here. I do own an apartment but I do not rent it. The term "visa rentista" obviously creates some confusion.

When I wrote "rent" I meant "renta" (income and not rent from a rental) sorry for that. The issue is the following, the law says that the "income/renta" is "traido desde el exterior" (brought from abroad?). So, apart from the apostilled documents you mention, I have been asked to show how the income is brought into the country, and before it was possible to show this with ATMs receipts but since June 2008 they started asking you to show this "income" (renta) is being transfered into an argentine bank account. Its is true this does not happen in every case, but in my experience in 8 out of 10 files I have been asked this.
Let us know how it went after you are done. Cheers.

When my girlfriend called migraciones this afternoon (after we went there this morning without the certificado penales), they told her that ATM receipts would be acceptable, and I have do a letter from my bank stating that the money deposited monthly from an annuity is available to me in Argentina at most ATMs. They said to bring some of the most recent ATM receipts IF I have them.
Hopefully, the information they gave her on the phone will be accepted by the folks at migraciones who will review my application for renewal later this week. I do not have an Argentine bank account and I do not really want one. I am getting a Charles Schwab ATM card to eliminate the increasing fees resulting from the lower ATM withdrawal limits. I also use my credit card here for some purchases and pay on line.

Back