Dating For Women In The Their 40S?

I'll tell y'all something else on this subject.

My oldest son (really my stepson but I don't usually say that) married a pretty hefty gal when both were in their 20s. We talked about it privately, we thought she going to be a big woman. She was only 20 at the time.

She is now the size of a barn (figuratively speaking). But she a prize. Everything has been about him all her life. He had a really good job but started having health problems and he went back to driving a truck. He wanted her to quit her job just 2 or 3 years short of retirement (government job, they aren't retirement age) and I argued against it. wanted her to stay until she got the retirement and then go. But what do MILs know? He said if she didn't go they would both be stocking shelves at WalMart.

She quit and went. She rides with him, cooks in the truck, does laundry at truck stops, and has done it for years. I don't know how she does it. She bought a kindle because she likes to read and her computer will operate in the truck.

He is a good looking guy. I'd post a picture but he might get mad if he knew I did that--not that he'd ever know. But he really is good looking. And he's the best balanced and happiest married man I know and I'm not making that up. I watch this and I wonder if the rest of the male population is messed up. No kidding. I sometimes think we are all brainwashed with the values we pick up from watching movies and TV all our lives.

Most women have a problem finding a guy because they have a long list of requirements, including "killers" like lives at home, has no money, no car, et.
I always thought: if you are a successful woman, why do you need a guy with money?
If you are willing to go out with a poor guy, you will have many more opportunities. It is what is in the heart that counts.

I wish more of us listed gender in profiles. I used to would not tell anything I didn't have to but I added "female" lately because I'm always checking to see if it is a man or a woman posting--whether it's a male opinion or a female opinion. Some of these things are real studies in human nature. Montauk's comment, for example, about "they have a long list of requirements" is really interesting. Makes me think! There's my son with a woman who probably wouldn't find anyone to date her if anything happened to him, but he's totally happy. He knows he has a good thing. He'd never find another one like her. But, as Montouk suggested, he's not picky about the things most men are.

Then there was my great grandmother, outlived 3 husbands. It never took her long to find another one! No joke. She was a pretty classy lady even in her old age. But she wasn't picky. They were decent men, the two that I knew, but way beneath her class. But she didn't think they were. She was always happy and so were they. So . . . . she would illustrate very well Montauk's position.

But then I wonder, what is the definition of "poor?" What Montauk would call poor maybe I wouldn't call poor. To marry a "poor boy" with ambition when one is young is one thing. But if a man has some maturity and is poor in the true sense, then it is not about money. Why is he poor? Usually it is bad decisions, lack of self-discipline, etc., so it becomes a character issue. But it would depend on Montauk's definition of "poor." Yeah I know, as usual I'm getting myself in trouble here. I just can't stay out of trouble! But this is a "thinking" subject!

Great discussion! I'm still looking for love (although I was married for 26 years a decade ago). I've dated much younger and dated older. I'm not looking for support or marriage. Just someone with whom I can have fun, grow as a person, and share the good and the bad. Sex also is definately on the list, but with the above, not apart.
I have had a few Argie boyfriends but they weren't the right people for me, mostly a lack of personality or lifestyle fit. I get many "offers" and flirting, but almost without exception, these men all have a wife or significant other and are looking for a little extra. That doesn't work for me for many reasons. My experience with Internet dating is all the men lied with photos that were 10 years old or even about their marital status. I got tired of all that and here it feels too risky as well. I would love to have a significant other, but not just for the sake of having someone. I want to really like/love that person for who he is (not what he has to materially offer) and to be able to spend a night or weekend together. That's my real photo taken in July. But I'm finding that I am not meeting any truly available men. A ton of flirts young and old, which is fun, but ultimately unfulfilling ...in the US I had male friends also, but they are non existent here I suspect for cultural reasons. Love is tough! Especially expat love!

I went to speed dates here in BsArs and was surprised by the lack of life of the present ladies over there.
Another place to meet singles is match.com
But then again: it's very difficult to find here persons with an interesting life! Cosmopolitan, able to maintain a conversation about issues, where to find such a single woman here? Mission impossible!

I went to speed dates here in BsArs and was surprised by the lack of life of the present ladies over there.
Another place to meet singles is match.com
But then again: it's very difficult to find here persons with an interesting life! Cosmopolitan, able to maintain a conversation about issues, where to find such a single woman here? Mission impossible!

Haven't we met?!!

Today I was having coffee with an Argentine friend that lives in Recoleta. She was joking about how all the mothers that pick up their children after school around the corner from her apartment are all liposuctioned, tummy tucked, and how they're essentially the same as "gatos" since they may have once been successful but married and became maintained wives and baby machines. She's in her mid-thirties and works and studies in the university so she won't ever have to marry just to be supported financially. Good for her. She has integrity. Yet her beauty, intelligence and good sense haven't helped her in finding a decent Argentine to date or marry.

forgot to mention the response of an Argentinean lady who I've met through match.com. I was asking her why women like her with an university degree, progressive & liberal, well traveled bla bla bla have this attitude like most women here: hysterical, not asking but demanding attention of males, seeing a relationship as a goal and not as a nice element in life, very emotionally depending, etc.
She said: "We all want to be like Mafalda, but in fact we all are Susanita's"

I could ramble on and on about this issue, I will just leave a few of my personal observations. In general if men detect that you want to settle and are not just dating to have fun and see where it goes from there, they fly away! Men here say they like independent women, but in reality they don´t like it if they are too independent. Also independence + being expat is a combo that attract lazy guys that think you are loaded with dollars and willing to support them. If you are a " Susanita " they might cheat on you because they get bored. after their mid forties, most men are looking for women +/- 10 years younger. After their 40s most women are looking for men highly successful financially. Upper middle class women tend to have kids that are mainly raised by their maids - men do not love this. Men here have lost contact with reality thanks to TV and thousands of women that get bad plastic surgeries to look forever young, so if you are a good looking lady in her 40s, natural, you have lower chances.
All in all, I think love and especially relationships happen when you are least expecting them. Go out, socialize, make friends, take classes, keep a positive attitude, explore new places and circles, and overall enjoy yourself and be happy, that is a magnet for guys :)

Back