Dating in Buenos Aires.

nlaruccia said:
Since so many of the men here like to score women's phone numbers as if it were a game, to boost their ego or for whatever psychological or social reason they do it, I stopped giving out my number a long time ago. I turn it around and oblige them to put the control into my hands. In other words girls, don't give out your phone number. Take his, and if you feel like it and when you feel like it, you can call him.

I don't really care to score your phone number. I'm not looking for a boost to my ego or some other psychological or social bump.

But I would like to meet to have sex sometime.

;)

since this site censors and bans people without warning I have gone with my thoughts elsewhere

Digger said:
Most of the blokes in Argie have not much going for them, so scoring chicks is the highlight of their meagre existence.

Could you clarify this statement a little more...because it's not the first time I've heard/read on here a similar comment regarding Argentine men (written by an expat - usually American - man) and find it a little offensive. Is the "not much going for them" a purely economical viewpoint - because most Argentine men earn in pesos, not dollars and therefore don't have the spending power of their average US counterparts, or is there more to it than that?
Because, in my experience of dating men from the US, UK and Argentina, I find (your average, middle-class) man here to be, in general, far more attentive, interesting, educated (academically) and cultured than in the US or UK... Ok, maybe (as someone once put on this forum) he might only have "one good shirt!" but I actually find it refreshing not to have to put up with all that overly-coiffured, nauseatingly-collogned, tight-tshirted, ipad-wielding, pseudo sophisticate, po-mo bullshit that seems to be the norm among higher-salaried men in the UK and US. I'd much rather talk to a man who reads and has hobbies and goes to classes - and generally, I've found that type to be more prevalent in Argentina.
Just saying...

Far from having meager existences, Argentine men have things going for them that are beyond the perception of casual visitors. Perhaps they have only one good shirt, but they are busy with their hobbies, interests, friends, careers, sports, music groups, and YES, family celebrations. But of course, the pursuit of women ranks high on their priority list.

Some expats live in their own tiny bubbles, and have no idea of what goes on around them. Perhaps that's the way they like it.

Digger said:
In Argentina the chick to guy ratio is around 7 to 1 on the men's side, with an absolute relaxation of social values in regards to sex.

I would really like to know where that information comes from... INDEC maybe?

He's probably talking about expat pick-up boliches, where local night-ladies go to make a quick buck off the foreigners.

When it comes to sex, I fear their "social values" are so relaxed as to be practically nonexistent...:)

Digger said:
mmmm, in this culture guys call girls, the other way round is taken as a sign of wanting 'action'.

Any girls familiar with "The Rules"? Well, there it says that nice girls never call, are called.

once again, observational, not my philosophy

perhaps a nice middle ground would be to swap phones

Been there, done that. Swapping phones doesn't make an Argie hesitate when it comes to using you as a game piece. I mentioned to an Argie female friend today that I don't give out my number; but they can give me theirs. This had never occurred to her. She admitted she would never call man. In fact, a man asked for her number and whenever she sees him on-line chatting he won't chat with her. She's too scared to even start a chat first. I figure, if an Argie asks for your number and he doesn't call you, then it was just a game he was playing. If he does call you, it's because he wants to get into the sack with you. If you call him, he still wants to get into the sack with you. I don't think it will make a difference either way, except with the latter you don't end up waiting by the phone. It's time he wait by the phone to see what it feels like.

nlaruccia said:
I figure, if an Argie asks for your number and he doesn't call you, then it was just a game he was playing. If he does call you, it's because he wants to get into the sack with you. If you call him, he still wants to get into the sack with you. I don't think it will make a difference either way, except with the latter you you don't end up waiting by the phone.

I figure, we need to meet for "coffee" sometime soon. I promise to let you call me.

Ashley said:
Could you clarify this statement a little more...because it's not the first time I've heard/read on here a similar comment regarding Argentine men (written by an expat - usually American - man) and find it a little offensive. Is the "not much going for them" a purely economical viewpoint - because most Argentine men earn in pesos, not dollars and therefore don't have the spending power of their average US counterparts, or is there more to it than that?
Because, in my experience of dating men from the US, UK and Argentina, I find (your average, middle-class) man here to be, in general, far more attentive, interesting, educated (academically) and cultured than in the US or UK... Ok, maybe (as someone once put on this forum) he might only have "one good shirt!" but I actually find it refreshing not to have to put up with all that overly-coiffured, nauseatingly-collogned, tight-tshirted, ipad-wielding, pseudo sophisticate, po-mo bullshit that seems to be the norm among higher-salaried men in the UK and US. I'd much rather talk to a man who reads and has hobbies and goes to classes - and generally, I've found that type to be more prevalent in Argentina.
Just saying...

If a middle class Argentinian man could afford to be overly-coiffured with an iPad, Blackberry, plasma with surround sound, they would. They just can't afford it. I know several wealthy Argentine men who are just as cologned and coiffed as any North American or European, if not more.

Back