Dating in Buenos Aires.

Wow, I didn't know we were such a pain in the ass. Anyway, I just wanted to give a few pointers:
- Don't date guys you met at a boliche or a bar. You're only going to get chamuyeros there. If the guy is charming, he's probably full of shit.
- City Girl already said it: Lack of maturity. We're big kids.I'm 27 and eventhough I have a pretty good job in IT, got my own place and I'm in a serious relationship; I'm still behaving like a freaking teenager. If you don't want to deal with this, don't date an Argentine guy
- Lack of meaning in the words. This one's a bit tricky, let's just say we tend to believe our own bullshit.

@SSR: Your friend got it right. Well... most of it. I don't really agree with the education part, especially in Buenos Aires.

Best piece of advice I read so far is SSR's: If it smells like shit, it probably is.

So far I've only read the cons of dating an Argy. Any PROs?

AlexfromLA said:
WOW,

You're f**king awesome.

:D

Well I'm just admitting to something which I also see mirrored in 90% of my friends/families' male/female relationships... Don't get me wrong, I'm no beaten-down wife desperately grappling at the remaining threads of my self-esteem - I just DO NOT BELIEVE that any significant % of men seriously pull their weight domestically! (Argentine or otherwise) At least here, maids are mildly attainable...

As for dating...I think the one-good-shirt thread is a little harsh. I personally think that Argentine men are among some of the most (academically) educated and cultured... Of course, it's not as easy here as forking out thousands of $ for an ivy-league education and some decent clobber. You actually have to want to educate yourself rather than do it as a matter of course! The hysteria, however, and the cheating is just a matter of finding someone mature and not still completely dependent on his mother (they exist!).

ssr said:
These things that these foreign guys actually have--money, a great education, a great job, a wardrobe full of nice clothes, etc.--most people in Argentina don't have.
That is not so. There are plenty of local men with money, education, great jobs, classy clothes, and good cars in Buenos Aires, but they don't hang out at expat bars. Men like that are generally well-connected, and prefer to do their socializing at private clubs.

To see them in their natural habitat, wrangle an invitation to the Yatch Club Argentino, the Jockey Club, the Rowing Club in Tigre, or to the Club Nautico San Isidro.

iloled-pam.jpg

SaraSara said:
That is not so. There are plenty of local men with money, education, great jobs, classy clothes, and good cars in Buenos Aires, but they don't hang out at expat bars. Men like that are generally well-connected, and prefer to do their socializing at private clubs.

To see them in their natural habitat, wrangle an invitation to the Yatch Club Argentino, the Jockey Club, the Rowing Club in Tigre, or to the Club Nautico San Isidro.

Hah! Well, there you go, ladies. Problem solved. Now you know where to look.

And maybe if you're really lucky, you can meet this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI58wj4b4g0

He prefers to do his socializing at private clubs AND Dos Equis. Now that's class. Suerte, ladies! ;)

@ssr:Glad to be able to point you in the right direction, ssr. Let me know if you want a card to one of those clubs, but please notice that you MUST wear Armani to be allowed in. :D

Alex, that's a great portrait - I did not know you were so cute. Could I introduce you to my daughter, a cat enthusiast?

SaraSara said:

I can also attest that there are a lot of wealthy men (with multiple shirt options) hanging out in zona norte and in some of the more cheta clubs...if that's what you're looking for.
However, wealth does not intelligence make. I did a year exchange program at one of the snootier universities here (unlike the UKs top schools, any "boludo" with money is welcomed through the doors) and found the cheto guys to be among the most idiotic, ridiculous, dependent on their parents and, oftentimes, offensive tw**s I have ever known!
I'd also be suspicious of the kind of Argentine blokes intentionally lurking around expat bars... Personally I reckon they're looking for someone still learning the language who doesn't understand what idiots they are.
I think finding a normal man here is much like finding one anywhere else. You'll probably have more luck meeting someone through a friend, or in class or engaging in some kind of hobby...boring, but probably true!

Ashley is right on all points. The way to meet good people is through friends, or doing some kind of special-interest activity.

Private universities like Belgrano, the UCA, or El Salvador will take anyone who breathes and is able to pay the tuition, so they are filled with spoiled kids from wealthy families .

The public Universidad de Buenos Aires is considered the best here. It is free - anyone can apply, and admission is strictly through merit. Classrooms are old and crowded, but the teachers are top-notch. However, it concentrates on full-time career students, so it is not open to people wishing to spend a year here. A pity, as it is the best, and draws people from all over the country and from all kinds of backgrounds.

As a local, I found ssr's post not only shallow but offensive as well. So I had some fun with it.

Now, seriously, anyone interested in visiting a posh PRIVATE club filled with Armani clad men, women, children, and their equally elegant dogs, just drop me a line. :D:D:D I still have a few visitor cards left for my Villa Tachito Sailing Club, a classy resort on the posh Riachuelo shores. Please be ready to show proof of a recent tetanus shot to be admitted.

SaraSara said:
Alex, that's a great portrait - I did not know you were so cute. Could I introduce you to my daughter, a cat enthusiast?

umm. I don't wear Armani.

:(

AlexfromLA said:
umm. I don't wear Armani.

:(

She doesn't, either. She wears black biking pants covered in cat hair. Now, is that a match?

Back