Dealing with noisy neighbour in an apartment block

The July 15 mediation hearing at the Ministerio Publico Fiscal (Bme. Mitre 1735, 5th floor) never took place because my neighbor didn't show up. The lawyers and mediators were ready in the mediation room while I sat in the hallway. At one point, both my lawyer and a mediator asked me individually how things were for the past month under the provisional agreement. I told both that I have a normal life without stress for the first time in 13 years now that my neighbor respects the hours of rest in our building. They even tried to contact my neighbor by phone to find out if she was on her way. Five people were waiting for an hour for the mediation which now must be rescheduled. At the next (final) mediation hearing, hopefully we will sign an agreement to continue the peace and quiet that was established for one month.

Mediation avoids the need to settle in court, and the process takes less time.

Her apparent unwillingness (or inability) to show up does not appear to be a good sign.

I did the same process. They didn't show up to the 2nd mediation either. Then they tell you your only recourse is to file a civil suit. Totally impotent system.

I did the same process. They didn't show up to the 2nd mediation either. Then they tell you your only recourse is to file a civil suit. Totally impotent system.

If she doesn't show up in court, presumably, the plaintiff would win by default.

The system works so far in my case. I have no reason to believe my neighbor will not show up at the next mediation hearing when she gets a citation to appear.

If she doesn't show up in court, presumably, the plaintiff would win by default.

My case hasn't gotten to that point, and I don't expect it will. Furthermore, I feel I've already won my case through mediation. Her behavior has changed. That's all I asked for and got it.

It is good to hear that your life is easier now. However, my experience tells me, that after a year or so people forget you and start with noise again. You go through procedure again and buy yourself another year :)

There were some funny events in my building after solving the noise issue. First the guys, that were noisy before got themselves a small dog, which I found extremely satisfying, since dogs don't like excessive noise. Occasional barking doesn't bother me, of course.

Events turned weird way, when people in the building started to complain, that they acquired a duck! as well. I just saw it on a photo neighbour sent on our mails, complaining about smell. I understand that, but don't understand the guy could live with crazy noise for months, never said a word, but one mini duck forced him to raise an army. Crazy world here...

Having ducks in the building is a disaster, because they wake up at the quawk of dawn...

Simple solution is to get the Bahia Blanca chapter of the Duck Dynasty boys, aka Steve, KhairyExpat, Ajo,and Fred Mertz to make a Peking Duck for your Sunday dinner.

duck_dynasty.jpg

It is good to hear that your life is easier now. However, my experience tells me, that after a year or so people forget you and start with noise again. You go through procedure again and buy yourself another year :)

I got my neighbor's attention at the mediation session when I let her know that I had videos and photos to substantiate everything. I brought along my notebook if anyone wanted to hear proof of all the things she denied. She has taken this seriously since then and hasn't once turned up the volume on her television. I worked many years for lawyers, so I started taking notes, photos and videos. I knew it was my word against hers. The lawyer who interviewed me and took my testimony to initiate the case saw the videos and photos.

I got my neighbor's attention at the mediation session when I let her know that I had videos and photos to substantiate everything. I brought along my notebook if anyone wanted to hear proof of all the things she denied. She has taken this seriously since then and hasn't once turned up the volume on her television. I worked many years for lawyers, so I started taking notes, photos and videos. I knew it was my word against hers. The lawyer who interviewed me and took my testimony to initiate the case saw the videos and photos.

I would wonder when she might start testing the limits again, knowing how slowly the wheels of justice move in Argentina. If she can get without showing up to a mediation session, she might be willing to blow the whole thing off.

I prefer to think positively because her actions have changed now. Worrying about what might happen is a waste of time for me.

I prefer to think positively because her actions have changed now. Worrying about what might happen is a waste of time for me.

I would hope, for your sake, that you're right. But I would always have a backup plan.

Back