Dealing with noisy neighbours in BA

You have my utmost sympathy. Having experienced noisy neighbours in a couple of properties in Glasgow where it's difficult to get action taken I can imagine it must be nigh on impossible here.
Our neighbour here is having building work done and has offered to keep us informed of proceedings. The wife even Whatsapped my my wife the other day with pictures showing what the builders were doing to the adjoining wall as they were making such a racket we were expecting them to appear through a hole in our kitchen.
I always think the best approach is a friendly one if that doesn't work then nothing will. If it continues to affect your health and happiness then best move house.which is what we had to do in Glasgow.

Ahh bonny Scotland...

About 7 years ago, we had a problem with late-night noise from the apartment above us. We own our apartment, but the one above is a rental owned by the building. We went to mediation against the building, claiming that the tenants were breaking the rules of the building with noise and overcrowding of the elevator so that we had a broken elevator every weekend. We petitioned to have them evicted. The other neighbors, who continually griped among themselves about the offenders, refused to step up when we got a special meeting of the consortium called to vote on the matter. So, we couldn't get the offenders tossed out, but we did get an agreement that their lease would not be renewed. They left at the end of their two years, and the building admin has been a lot more careful about vetting new tenants.

I have used this on a yappy chihuahua in a building before. Crank up the volume full on a speaker and then go out and get a coffee. Most humans cannot hear it but dogs can. It’s a 12 hour loop.

In my case it used to yap from a balcony below me. Hence it was easy to put a speaker outside. I never heard the dog again after... think it was afraid to set paw on the balcony again.

About 7 years ago, we had a problem with late-night noise from the apartment above us. We own our apartment, but the one above is a rental owned by the building. We went to mediation against the building, claiming that the tenants were breaking the rules of the building with noise and overcrowding of the elevator so that we had a broken elevator every weekend. We petitioned to have them evicted. The other neighbors, who continually griped among themselves about the offenders, refused to step up when we got a special meeting of the consortium called to vote on the matter. So, we couldn't get the offenders tossed out, but we did get an agreement that their lease would not be renewed. They left at the end of their two years, and the building admin has been a lot more careful about vetting new tenants.

Makes one may wonder why the remainder of the neighbors refused to step up publicly at the Consortium meeting..? Perhaps afraid of reprisals and violent vendetta? One may place oneself, family, vehicles and pets in serious danger ..! Have experienced this type of situation.

I think quarantine is making it worse - I'm also having the same problem with neighbours. One is behind who we share a wall with (my fault for not realising) who likes playing heavy bass music that manages to travel straight through the concrete wall and annoy us. The other is in the front who also has a love for music - both I have spoken to nicely and things have got a bit better. We even built a false wall on the back to try reduce the sound. My last option which I warned them of is to make it a 'war' - I prefer not to go this route but sometimes its the only way once all other avenues have been dealt with. Moving house is one option but how can you ever know what the neighbours will be like unless you can rent it long term before buying it. My opinion on the whole thing is that no one else should have to listen to your music and have it effect their own personal space (eg watching a tv show).

I actually just leased a second apartment to get away from the noise in the first apt. You never know what you're going to get though... I can't wait to tell the first landlord that I'm breaking the lease.

Makes one may wonder why the remainder of the neighbors refused to step up publicly at the Consortium meeting..? Perhaps afraid of reprisals and violent vendetta? One may place oneself, family, vehicles and pets in serious danger ..! Have experienced this type of situation.
Yes. I wondered about that at the time. My Argentinean husband says your presumption is correct, fear of reprisal. So I guess we were lucky.

I thought it was because they didn't expect that we would succeed, so they didn't want to stick their necks out. Maybe they were right in thinking that inertia and support for the status quo is so built into the system that we were never going to succeed. But as long as most people feel that way, and don't try, we are never going to find out. Our building is small (24 apts on 2 elevator shafts. Almost everyone on each elevator has a nodding acquaintance with all the others.) so we didn't get any negative repercussions. In fact, we seem to have benefitted because now the admin and the neighbors think they have a crazy, combative Americana in their midst.

Back