Discrimination at Campeonato Metropolitano de Tango

nikad said:
I have seen the same thing happening in the US...

Too many people are posting comments about discrimination when this is clearly a case of rules and not race . The city of Buenos Aires has rules that state this contest is for nationals. How is this discrimatory ?

Argentina is one of the most welcoming countries in the world for immigrants and if you compare to Europe and the USA it is a paradise for new arrivals hoping to start a new life.

In regards to discrimation and price gouging it is a world wide practice and is not confined to Argentina. Many countries practice discrimatory policies and especially in applying for visas which millions of Argentinians know and suffer on a daily basis.

Discrimination is a difficult topic. You might be able to force them to drop the limitation from the rules, yet they are still free to give bad gradings since they can always justify with something else.

For this reason, I hate it that in Austria (and I think that it is the same in the US) you can't write the full job requirements when searching staff. What's the use of making a gender and age neutral ad if in the end, only men of a certain age are accepted anyway? Just makes the company and the job-seekers lose time.

In Austria, skiing resorts are not allowed to discriminate between locals and tourists concerning prices any more. Yet it still goes on, just they don't put it on the price list no more.

Basically I think that by making laws and suing if they are ignored, not much is solved, discrimination only becomes more hidden.

Nevertheless I think it is good that you took action because:
1.) You are a lawyer. Anything that gives you more experience is benefitial for you as a professional.
2.) You got public attention. This might have more effect than the ruling of a court.

PS: I am not saying that all laws against discrimination are pointless. I just think they won't change the attitude of people, which is the more important factor. And some of them just don't work at all.

I have seen all my life contests advertised both on magazines, TV, internet, etc where " Restrictions Apply" you have to be a US Resident, or a resident of a certain state, etc. At Disney, FL residents get discounts, but the rest of us mortals don´t... is that discrimination?

How is that different to different fares on airlines here? How are the contest rules any different to all the contests you see advertised in the US? And these things do not just happen in the US or Argentina.

I would like the OP to show me the difference and I will accept institutionalized discrimination in Argentina as a fact.

dr__dawggy said:
There is a distinction between bestowing citizenship on foreigners and charging more to attend a performance at Teatro Colon or being billed more to install an air conditioner than locals.

In the case of a tax supported contest, it would seem charging non-residents more to enter might be justified but excluding non-residents smacks of discrimination.

Check out any contest rules in the US and then start telling me how discrimination is institutionalized in the US too. You second example is not discrimination, it is a scam and somebody falling for it, or not getting quotes to have an AC installed.

But I think a foreign born person who acquires citizenship would be allowed to enter, or is that not the case? If not, that really would be discrimination....

If the contest was to find a representative of Cap Fed to go on to other contests to represent AR then I can see only allowing AR and Cap Fed citizens. Not unlike representing your country at the olympics. The only thing that upsets me is that a Portino and a Canadian were allowed and a Portino and a Vietnamese weren't. If this is the case it sounds racist and is totally unacceptable, anywhere.

There is a distinction between bestowing citizenship on foreigners and charging more to attend a performance at Teatro Colon or being billed more to install an air conditioner than locals.

The first case can be explained as "discounts" for locals. Try to enter a national park in Thailand paying the local rate, or to Angkor in Cambodia. In France, locals have all kind of discount cards for the train that you as a tourist will not acquire (because of time constraints). In Europe many museums give discounts to citizens of the European Union. In the case of the French it works as discrimination but is indirect. The second case is personal, and you can simply choose another person to do the job.

Well maybe the Canadian had citizenship, I can't believe they would allow one nationality and not the other.
But anyway, surely it would be ridiculous if in the Campeonato Mundial, Argentina were represented by foreigners. That would exclude entrants from the city that was the birthplace of tango!

tangobob said:
I am not understanding this thread;
Firstly I understood the Metropolitano was always strictly for portenos, but anyone can enter the mudial. The clue is in the title.
Secondly it was on Thursday at Layola not Wednesday or am I missing something?

The issue was on Thursday at Loyola. The journalist made a mistake.

Since this year it is only for argentinians with 2 years residence at this city.

Before that, foreigner/Argentinian couples were accepted.

Any discrimination between Argentinians and foreigners who inhabits in this country or city is illegal.

fedecc said:
I read some really ridiculous arguments here. Institutional and legal discriminations are not necessarily immoral or wrong.

If i follow the logical arguments of some of you, i should be able to go to the US or an other country in the world and have the automatic right to citizenship, vote, social security, etc. Otherwise i should be in my right to complain and say that that country is discriminating me for not being a citizen of said country.

Its a metropolitan tournament, that is, a city (taxpayers) sponsored contest aimed at the city's citizens.

Well, this is known as Human Rights, it means that human being have rights because they are human beings instead of the discrimination between citizens and illegals.

The countries have the right to avoid immigration using visas or border controls but once people is into the borders they have rights otherwise you are defending slavery.

The way immigration is manage in the US is a shame and it is stupid because if they legalize them, they can start paying taxes. The retirement service is collapsing because the young "illegal" workers are not paying taxes.

But, regarding this country, there is no doubt that any difference between foreigners and Argentinians is illegal.

perry said:
Too many people are posting comments about discrimination when this is clearly a case of rules and not race . The city of Buenos Aires has rules that state this contest is for nationals. How is this discrimatory ?

This is the anti-discrimination law:

Ley 23.592 (Ley anti-discriminación):
Art. 1: Quien arbitrariamente impida, obstruya, restrinja o de algún modo menoscabe el pleno ejercicio sobre bases igualitarias de los derechos y garantías fundamentales reconocidos en la Constitución nacional, será obligado, a pedido del damnificado, a dejar sin efecto el acto discriminatorio o cesar en su realización y a reparar el daño moral y material ocasionados.
A los efectos del presente artículo se considerarán particularmente los actos u omisiones discriminatorios determinados por motivos tales como raza, religión, nacionalidad, ideología, opinión política o gremial, sexo, posición económica, condición social o caracteres físicos.

As you can read, the list is:
race, religion, nationality, ideology, political opinion, union opinion, social status, economy status or caracteres físicos (being fat, skinny, tall, etc).

And it also says you can claim the stop of this discrimination acts. So, I am going to ask to the judge to restart the competition without this illegal rules.

Supreme Court had said that any difference between foreigners who inhabits our territory and Argentinians is illegal unless you can evidence imminent public danger. The case were it was considered legal was regarding navy licenses during war times for foreign applicants of countries who were helping the enemy.

perry said:
Argentina is one of the most welcoming countries in the world for immigrants and if you compare to Europe and the USA it is a paradise for new arrivals hoping to start a new life.

Yes, and the idea is to keep it in this way.

perry said:
In regards to discrimation and price gouging it is a world wide practice and is not confined to Argentina. Many countries practice discrimatory policies and especially in applying for visas which millions of Argentinians know and suffer on a daily basis.

Yes, this is true, but it doesn´s mean we should accept it.

Hellek said:
Nevertheless I think it is good that you took action because:
1.) You are a lawyer. Anything that gives you more experience is benefitial for you as a professional.
2.) You got public attention. This might have more effect than the ruling of a court.

Well, the Canadian couple won the first round.

I agree partially, that´s why I am going to do a class action so, then, if there are 50 couples, nobody can flag you so easily.

On the other hand, the party who was involved in this discriminative action is going to pay a high political cost in an election year, so, next time they will think about it twice.

nikad said:
is that discrimination?

How is that different to different fares on airlines here?

It is discriminative, I mentioned it in other threads. But it has to be claimed at Court and it can be changed for ever. We are adults and you have been granted with full civil rights, use them!

nikad said:
How are the contest rules any different to all the contests you see advertised in the US? And these things do not just happen in the US or Argentina.

Well, procedure rules there and here are different. Here is easier to claim at Court and to make your right become a reality.

nikad said:
I would like the OP to show me the difference and I will accept institutionalized discrimination in Argentina as a fact.

Discrimination is a fact everywhere in the world. The idea to to fight it. In many matter here is better than in many other countries but you have to claim for it. You have rights, use them, it is not magic. The Canadian/Argentinian couple force the Competition to let them compete, that´s the idea about a right.

TomAtAlki said:
If the contest was to find a representative of Cap Fed to go on to other contests to represent AR then I can see only allowing AR and Cap Fed citizens. Not unlike representing your country at the olympics. The only thing that upsets me is that a Portino and a Canadian were allowed and a Portino and a Vietnamese weren't. If this is the case it sounds racist and is totally unacceptable, anywhere.

Both couples were rejected. But they were rejected on Monday so they claimed it at Court on Thuesday and on Thursday they had a sentence ordering the organization to let them compete.

We were rejected on Thursday, Friday wasn´t enought time to claim it, so I am going to start the lawsuit tomorrow.

Our laws says that foreigners who inhabits this territory have the same rights than Argentinians. We have very "immigration open mind" rules.

brownlove said:
Well maybe the Canadian had citizenship, I can't believe they would allow one nationality and not the other.
But anyway, surely it would be ridiculous if in the Campeonato Mundial, Argentina were represented by foreigners. That would exclude entrants from the city that was the birthplace of tango!

No, she is canadian and her husband is argentinian. They have been living here for 4 years, so they have the same rights that an Argentinian couple.

Argentinians are immigrants, it is a proud for us if a foreigner had assimilate our culture deeply enough to represent us.

I have many friend and female friend who have been living here for several years because they fall in love with tango, the city, the people, etc.

Rebecca O´laire is a good example. She is the best dancer from Ireland and she came here and she started dancing at streets like all the Argentinian who want to be professional dancers do. We all respect her for that. She was rejected at the contest. His boyfriend and partner danced with another girl. I talked with him and he was very angry about that, he ask me to claim the restart of the contest because what happends if he wins with the other girl, is he going to go abroad on tour with the "other"?. It is ridiculous.

Regards

Back