Discrimination at Campeonato Metropolitano de Tango

Salimos en Crónica - Nota - Política - Pag. 6 EL GOBIERNO PORTEÑO DISCRIMINA

Crónica - Nota - Política - Pag. 6

EL GOBIERNO PORTEÑO DISCRIMINA

Mientras Mauricio Macri baila tango en público, una denuncia por discriminación acecha a la administración porteña. Sucede que, por una resolución del gobierno de la ciudad,en el Campeonato Metropolitano de Tango se limitó la inscripción solamente a las parejas que estén integradas al menos por un porteño nativo o residente que certifique domicilio durante al menos dos años en la Capital Federal. De esta manera, los extranjeros y habitantes de la provincias no podrán participar.

La justicia ya se expidió al respecto: la jueza en lo Contencioso Administrativo y Tributario, Elena Liberatori, hizo lugar a una medida cautelar, que ordena al gobierno porteño a inscribir a una canadiense que denunció haber sido discriminada.

Por otra parte, según la investigación de la agencia Télam,un abogado y bailarín de tango presentó una denuncia ante el Inadi contra el gobierno de Macri, por haber restringido la inscripción de su compañera de baile, Mong Lan, de origen vietnamita.

Ayer, Macri estuvo con varios funcionarios en la plaza San Martín, bailando tango. Entre los miembros de su gabinete estuvieron presentes la flamante candidata a vicejefa de gobierno, la ministra de Desarrollo Social María Eugenia Vidal, y el ministro de Cultura Hernán Lombardi, otro de los que hasta último momento pudo ser compañero de fórmula de Macri.

porteño a inscribir a una mujer canadiense que denunció haber sido discriminada en el noveno Campeonato de Baile de la ciudad.

Los organizadores del certamen, ante el reclamo de participantes rechazados, se niegan a identificarse y a firmar un papel que documente el accionar como ocurrió el martes último en el Club Fulgor de Buenos Aires, cuando una pareja fue rechazada porque la mujer no era argentina pero vive en la ciudad de Buenos Aires desde hace varios años.

I think it's just a petty gesture. If the best tango dancer in all of Capital turned out to be a foreigner, who was so passionate that he or she moved his entire life to Buenos Aires to pursue it, why wouldn't that be something for Argentines to be proud of? Like a chance to show off just how popular it has become internationally. But it's like the country looks for chances to self-segregate from the rest of the world, and make non-natives feel unwelcome.

fedecc said:
If i follow the logical arguments of some of you, i should be able to go to the US or an other country in the world and have the automatic right to citizenship, vote, social security, etc. Otherwise i should be in my right to complain and say that that country is discriminating me for not being a citizen of said country.

Let's take it down a notch; I don't think being allowed to compete in a contest is akin to receiving automatic full citizenship rights ;) It's more like being allowed to enroll in a public school or try out for a local baseball team (both of which you are allowed to do.)

In regards to discrimation and price gouging it is a world wide practice and is not confined to Argentina.

Indeed, but that doesn't make it any less ugly. In the U.S., at least, price gouging and consumer discrimination are illegal, and actually enforced by state Consumer Protection Boards. In Argentina, I don't know whether consumer discrimination is illegal on paper, but there sure doesn't seem to be any sort of attempt at deterring it (the entire system of cash only, no receipts, prices not displayed, refusals to give quotes, etc.) You say that Argentina is welcoming of immigrants, but for foreigners trying to integrate into Argentine society, it's demoralizing to constantly feel like you have to be on your guard just because of your accent.

How is that different to different fares on airlines here? How are the contest rules any different to all the contests you see advertised in the US? And these things do not just happen in the US or Argentina.

I would like the OP to show me the difference and I will accept institutionalized discrimination in Argentina as a fact.

I think the two-tied airfare system is fair, in the way that the state college system in the US is (where non-residents pay a higher tuition than state residents.) But if foreigners weren't allowed to fly at all (the way they aren't allowed to compete in this thing), THAT would be discrimination.

The word discrimination and racism are always touchy subjects, as evidenced by many of the Argentines on the board taking the defensive. Listen,....there is discrimination and racism here but don't feel bad, Argentina is not unique in this regard. Argentines are racist against other South Americans like Mexicans are towards central Americans, like the Spaniards are against African and SA immigrants, like the Germans are against the Turkish, like Dominicans are against Haitians, like Puerto ricans are against Dominicans, like Moroccans are against black africans and so on......

That being said Argentines are some of the most peculiar, interesting, passionate and misunderstood people I've ever met! I really like this place. Thanks Argentina....flaws and all.

Here is easier for immigrants to fight for equal rights became a reality even they are in papers. As I said before, you have been granted with full civil rights, use them. Regards

Bajo Cero, just for clarification purposes have you been residing in the city of Buenos Aires for the past two years?

I have my address in this city since 1993 and I was born here. But it makes no difference because the debate is:
a) Argentinians and foreigners who live here are Inhabitants with equal civil rights. In fact in this city they have same political rights too;
b) You become an inhabitant because:
1. you have your home here
2. Or you have been living here after the 2nd renewal of your visa.
3) The distinction between foreigners who are inhabitants and Argentinian is discriminative.

However, all of the "6" have over 2 years of residence in this city (I don´t mean legal residence).
Regards

starlucia said:
I think the two-tied airfare system is fair, in the way that the state college system in the US is (where non-residents pay a higher tuition than state residents.) But if foreigners weren't allowed to fly at all (the way they aren't allowed to compete in this thing), THAT would be discrimination.

The distinction I see between in and out of state tuition versus the two-tiered air fare structure is that in state residents have paid taxes that go to support the university and non-residents have not. If airlines are tax subsidized then i agree there is an equivilency of sorts.

Bajo_cero2 said:
I have my address in this city since 1993 and I was born here. But it makes no difference because the debate is

Thanks for that information, what I asked was nothing against you. I believe it is pertinent to this debate. You would not allow someone to become Miss Argentina who just moved to the country, would you?

I think this country is great because it has laws that are so non-discriminative. But I think if you see something wrong with what I wrote above, it isn't about discrimination anymore it is about fairy tale land vs. real life.

I guess you won't be able to compete with your partner this year. Legal stuff can drag on for years...good luck though!

Back