Dni Needed For Car Purchase?

What happens on the return the brother has to take the bus back to Osorno....??? :confused:

I didn't see them after that, but I think that's what they were figuring on doing, though it would have made more sense to cross the border in Chubut or Santa Cruz - other things being equal but that, of course, would have required a rational Argentine customs regime.

Weird. Maybe have the rules changed (again)?
Anyway, things might be different depending on the place you go/where you ask. Indeed, driving 14 hours to be unable to cross the frontier can be a nightmare.

I Will try first the BQB if turned away no sweat

I have entered and left Argentina many times with my Chilean vehicle, but it's still a little unusual for a non-resident foreigner to own a car in either country. I had one Chilean customs official tell me I could not take my car into Argentina, but he was wrong. You just have to insist, but politely, so I always carry a photocopy of previous documents to show that I have done so. Once, crossing from the Argentine side into Chile at a remote border post, I had to show the Gendarme how to do the paperwork.

I have had a Chilean car and sold it a couple of months ago and then bought an Argentinian car. The paperwork and everything was a lot easier, cheaper and faster in Chile.
Regarding taking the car out of Chile - it seems indeed to be forbidden if you do not have residency in Chile. But I was able to take the car across the border in Bariloche and the Pehuenche pass (beautiful drive there). Those two were smaller border check points and they seem to be more relaxed there. Chilean customs at the Pehuenche pass didn't even have a computer. But Chilean customs at the busy Los Libertadores checkpoint between Santiago and Mendoza told me that I could not take my Chilean car across the border without residency in Chile. I had checked the customs websites back then and they seemed to be right. So if you get a car in Chile and do not have residency just avoid the Los Libertadores border checkpoint (or be prepared to have some really good arguments why they should make an exception). Argentinian customs never cared. Also taking the Chilean car back to Chile was never a problem (even at Los Libertadores).

Does anyone know if you have to have DNI to buy a car now? I didn't 4 years ago but somebody said I did now.
I bought a car a couple of months ago with just C.D.I. and passport. When their agent registered the car (at the time I was already driving the car with a temp permit and without plates) they wanted additionally a "Declaración Jurade de Residencia" which I just got at an escribano (it is just a notarized document where you declare that you really live at the address). A couple of days later the car was registered. Getting the insurance was very easy. They just wanted to see the car registration and my passport.

I have had a Chilean car and sold it a couple of months ago and then bought an Argentinian car. The paperwork and everything was a lot easier, cheaper and faster in Chile.
Regarding taking the car out of Chile - it seems indeed to be forbidden if you do not have residency in Chile. But I was able to take the car across the border in Bariloche and the Pehuenche pass (beautiful drive there). Those two were smaller border check points and they seem to be more relaxed there. Chilean customs at the Pehuenche pass didn't even have a computer. But Chilean customs at the busy Los Libertadores checkpoint between Santiago and Mendoza told me that I could not take my Chilean car across the border without residency in Chile. I had checked the customs websites back then and they seemed to be right. So if you get a car in Chile and do not have residency just avoid the Los Libertadores border checkpoint (or be prepared to have some really good arguments why they should make an exception). Argentinian customs never cared. Also taking the Chilean car back to Chile was never a problem (even at Los Libertadores).

I am not a Chilean resident, but have crossed the border dozens of times with my Chilean vehicle, often at Los Libertadores.

I am not a Chilean resident, but have crossed the border dozens of times with my Chilean vehicle, often at Los Libertadores.
I believe you. I had no issues at the other two checkpoints either. I can only tell you that at Los Libertadores I did have problems. In general they seem to be stricter there ... but apparently not always. When was the last time you went trough there? I had the issues about a year ago.

Is it the car or the person the authorities are more concerned with?

I believe you. I had no issues at the other two checkpoints either. I can only tell you that at Los Libertadores I did have problems. In general they seem to be stricter there ... but apparently not always. When was the last time you went trough there? I had the issues about a year ago.

I had a car with Chilean plates for several years, always had problems with AFIP Los Libertadores, they insisted that if you spend most of the time in Argentina you should apply for Argentine license plates..... and residence. They assume you are working here illegally on a tourist visa.

It was more than a year ago. When I take the car into Argentina, I am often crossing with some frequency in Patagonia, but there are times when I don't return to Chile for two or three months.

I had a car with Chilean plates for several years, always had problems with AFIP Los Libertadores, they insisted that if you spend most of the time in Argentina you should apply for Argentine license plates..... and residence. They assume you are working here illegally on a tourist visa.

I have never heard a word from AFIP. Once I had a Chilean customs official question my right to take a Chilean car out of the country, but I showed photocopies of previous paperwork and shut him up.

Back