Dni Needed For Car Purchase?

So if a tourist buys a vehicle there in the grand Argentina, can only use it within the Republic? I don't think many tourists obtains the PR wile in AR in order to purchase a vehicle. Why is it that ones private property purchased with own money can not cross over to vecinity countries? Then how about if I buy a vehicle in Chile let say, then enter Argentina and leaving the land,do I get permission to take my property out of the republic or do I encounter problems as well?

I have entered and left Argentina many times with my Chilean vehicle, but it's still a little unusual for a non-resident foreigner to own a car in either country. I had one Chilean customs official tell me I could not take my car into Argentina, but he was wrong. You just have to insist, but politely, so I always carry a photocopy of previous documents to show that I have done so. Once, crossing from the Argentine side into Chile at a remote border post, I had to show the Gendarme how to do the paperwork.

I drive at least once a year, sometimes more often than that, to Asuncion from BA. I've been doing it for the last five years.

I got my DNI about a year and a half ago, although I've had residency for three.

Before I got my residency (note, not the DNI) I crossed the border with my passport in my car without problems. Then, one year I had my precaria (the provisional temporary residency) and drove to Asuncion and suddenly I couldn't cross the border. I had no idea - nice news after a 14 hour drive!

According to the Aduana there, once I became a RESIDENT I couldn't cross the border any more without a DNI. It took me a little longer for various reasons to get my actual DNI than other people. We tried to cross at the main Clorinda crossing and spent hours there trying to figure out a way to get through, including conversations with guys who swore they could get my car across without problems (which may have been true, but I didn't want to find out, nor did I want to deal with the problems I knew would come trying to get the car back INTO Argentina).

Finally, one helpful Aduana agent told us about the ferry crossing nearby, which was a much smaller outfit, and he told me I might be able to convince the staff there to let me through. He was right, they let me through with the promise that I return via the ferry so they could make sure that no reporting of the fact that they had let me through got reported by the main border crossing.

The point is, as a tourist, with a passport, you should have no problems, but at the moment you have applied for residency, you'd best wait for your DNI to make that crossing. I got really, really lucky.

Don't think you can get to the border and not show your precaria, just your passport - the two are linked. They will know you're a resident even if you just show your passport.

Another point for crossing the border - make sure your insurance has MERCOSUR coverage or you won't be able to pass either (resident or tourist).

So if a tourist buys a vehicle there in the grand Argentina, can only use it within the Republic? I don't think many tourists obtains the PR wile in AR in order to purchase a vehicle. Why is it that ones private property purchased with own money can not cross over to vecinity countries? Then how about if I buy a vehicle in Chile let say, then enter Argentina and leaving the land,do I get permission to take my property out of the republic or do I encounter problems as well?

HI you want to know everything for the sake of it :cool:

I went to the AFIP office and was read the regulations.....!! Only Arg Citizens, permanent Residents and corporation reps can drive an Argentine licensed plate car out of the country. The alternative is to have an Argentinian person drive the car with a Power of Attorney permission from you. However a foreigner can drive a Hertz car if the Hertz contract allows.

. If a US citizen/ you buys a car in Chile can you exit the country ...??? maybe ask Chilean Customs? :wub:

Rich One , I do believe you are correct. I have used some of your facts to take cars out of the country. Although I am not 100% sure , I have heard that now the border crossings have updated computers that can track who can or cannot take cars out of the country , and there are more options now. Of course this may be , or may not be correct. As usual in Argentina , get as much information as you can .

Regarding Chilean registered cars , I have heard that they must return to Chile once every 6 months , and remain there for a period of time.

The information above is believed to be correct , however , as this is Argentina , it may change without notice , or information may not be know to certain aduana agents , or other officials. Always carry bribe money , and be polite.

Yop, things have changed. It should be now possible for a tourist to go outside of Argentina driving his own Argentinean registered car (first hand experience of a friend about 15 months ago).

Yop, things have changed. It should be now possible for a tourist to go outside of Argentina driving his own Argentinean registered car (first hand experience of a friend about 15 months ago).

Great news, however I was at he AFIP offices in August 2013 in Plaza de Mayo and was told NOT Possible.

Great news, however I was at he AFIP offices in August 2013 in Plaza de Mayo and was told NOT Possible.

I still think it makes more sense to buy a car in Chile, which has a good selection of used cars at moderate prices, and a more reasonable bureaucracy.

Weird. Maybe have the rules changed (again)?
Anyway, things might be different depending on the place you go/where you ask. Indeed, driving 14 hours to be unable to cross the frontier can be a nightmare.

A few years ago, in Puerto Octay, I met a Swiss family who bought a 4X4 in Bariloche with the idea of exploring the Carretera Austral in Chile. When they got to the border, Aduana refused to let them leave Argentina because it was a vehículo nacional (as opposed to personal property, apparently). They returned to Bariloche and did a power-of-attorney in favor of the seller's brother, who drove them across the border and then took a bus back from Osorno.

A few years ago, in Puerto Octay, I met a Swiss family who bought a 4X4 in Bariloche with the idea of exploring the Carretera Austral in Chile. When they got to the border, Aduana refused to let them leave Argentina because it was a vehículo nacional (as opposed to personal property, apparently). They returned to Bariloche and did a power-of-attorney in favor of the seller's brother, who drove them across the border and then took a bus back from Osorno.

What happens on the return the brother has to take the bus back to Osorno....??? :confused:

Back