Dni Needed For Car Purchase?

I have never heard a word from AFIP. Once I had a Chilean customs official question my right to take a Chilean car out of the country, but I showed photocopies of previous paperwork and shut him up.

AFIP means Argentine Customs

Is it the car or the person the authorities are more concerned with?
I think it is the owner actually driving the car and not having residency. My Chilean car registration (padron) itself had nothing that indicated me not being a resident. So my guess is if somebody else with residency (and notarized permission) drove your car across the border there wouldn't be any issues - but I have never tried that.

Anyone tried crossing the border with their car with a temporary DNI? I need to drive to Uruguay next week and don't want to get turned away..! Last time I tried a few years ago, before I had a DNI, they wouldn't let me cross so I had to make power of attorney for my girlfriend. This time though will just take my temp DNI card.. hope it works

Acording to AFIP office in August 2013 it's Not possible. Prepare another power of attorney in case. Let me know if you can drive with a temporary DNI preacaria....?

Mine is a rentista visa which i renew every year.. will be interesting to see if i can make it across the border with that, i think so, if not i'll be really annoyed driving all that way..

I made a post earlier in this thread about this. No, you can't take your car across with a temporary DNI, I've tried it. Although I was ultimately successful, I was very lucky and would not suggest anyone try it on purpose.

Back