Do you fear a crash similar to 2001?

I have many lawyer friends. And when I am in their office.All their clients refer to them as "Dr" or "Dra"

I agree with you 100 percent, but this is a blog about expat life - not a legal office or a CV. Would it not feel weird to you if you walked into a dinner party and someone introduced themselves as Doctor Dan? I would. But if I walked into someone's office and they did it... I would expect it. That was all that was being expressed.

Serious question for someone who knows the answer, please, in reference to the mention of Dr + lawyer and its use in Argentina:
- does it mean that someone has a post-graduate/post university, doctoral level degree, a PhD in Law?
- does it mean that the individual holds a post-graduate/post university JD (Doctor of Jurisprudence or Juris Doctor) title?
- is it a mark of respect or an honorifc (like 'Dotorre/Dottoressa' in Italian used by any university-level degree holder, not indicating a post-graduate or doctoral level training in any field)?
- is it used like in Colombia for example, where the use of “doctor” or “doctora” is used for someone judged to hold a superior social position or who has power in the bureaucratic system?

How is it in Argentina?

The law school was opened in 1791 and the degree they gave you was Doctor in Law. This is why lawyers are called Doctors in Argentina.
Only at University you need a Doctor degree to be called Doctor.
Welcome to Argentina.

I agree with you 100 percent, but this is a blog about expat life - not a legal office or a CV. Would it not feel weird to you if you walked into a dinner party and someone introduced themselves as Doctor Dan? I would. But if I walked into someone's office and they did it... I would expect it. That was all that was being expressed.

You are free to add me to the ignore list.

If you do not like it i don’t give a shit.

For practical reasons, when someone make a question or assertion about legal issues, to make clear that I’ m a professional avoids idiots like you to think that they are equals that are able to debate. Simple.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrap...ld-unravel-fast-as-central-banker-jumps-ship/

Forbes the prestiguos international publication take on the current situation in Argentina.

"How can a country with no growth get enough taxes to keep the lights on, and the bills paid? Including debt service to foreign entities, surely to tick off the electorate who will absolutely feel they are going without in order to pay foreign lenders."

Yep. This is pretty spot on target. Argentina is really in a damned if they do and damned if they don't situation. I have friends that say they shouldn't have gotten the IMF loans and I ask them what alternatives there were? And of course they don't have an answer. Marci should have quickly cut down on spending after he took office. It doesn't matter if you're an individual or a country. You can't keep spending more than you make and not have an eventual day of reckoning.

Earlyretirement, Your posts are really well thought out with great content. Thanks for bringing your valuable insights to this forum. Regarding your comment that Macri should have quickly cut down on spending when he came into office, I thought he at least tried to do that by laying off thousands of workers that supposedly were gnocchi.

Earlyretirement, Your posts are really well thought out with great content. Thanks for bringing your valuable insights to this forum. Regarding your comment that Macri should have quickly cut down on spending when he came into office, I thought he at least tried to do that by laying off thousands of workers that supposedly were gnocchi.

Thanks Macanudo. I really do believe there is great value by sharing information. Especially as it pertains to Argentina. Personally, no matter what Macri did it wouldn't be enough for many. I honestly don't think anyone could have done things to prevent the situation they are in now. Argentina has serious problems and I've outlined the fundamental reasons behind them. Other posters have alluded to them as well.

Without a fundamental change of the laws you can't get long-lasting systemic change. That's why Argentina has crashes every decade to 15 years. I don't see that changing any time soon.

Yes, Macri did get rid off tons and tons of people that the CFK era hired that didn't do anything. The amount of graft under the CFK era was mind boggling. I lived in Argentina the entire time her and her husband reigned in Argentina. Macri truly did inherit a huge mess. Anyone that will try to deny or argue with that FACT is seriously delusional. I don't believe that anyone could have avoided the crises we are in now.

Also there is just bad luck with the drought and tons of lost income with the corn and soy harvests. That didn't help. But up until April/May people had high hopes. It's just that once people lose hope/faith things can snowball and drastically fall. He made lots of mistakes. Personally I think the biggest mistake he made was not immediately upon taking office lay out and be honest with the Argentine people and tell them how bad things are and the true situation. Obviously he didn't want to scare the citizens immediately upon taking office as well as the international community. But that was what was needed, IMHO.

I'm not saying I'm a huge Macri fan and as mentioned he made a lot of mistakes. But I think that anyone that came in would have very difficult problems turning things around. Sure, you will get people on this forum (I think you know who I'm referring to) will say yeah but if he didn't do X or he only did Y. He didn't tax Z or do P then Argentina wouldn't be where they are. But the reality is that Argentina will probably continually go through these painful periods.

It's a fabulous country with so much potential. Argentina really has everything. Beautiful bountiful country with some of the largest soy and corn exports in the world. Lots of natural resources. Tons of water. Tons of land. Mountains, desserts, Lakes. As the saying goes the only thing wrong with Argentina are the Argentines. I don't believe that saying. But I do believe the laws/taxes/corruption are a deal breaker for long lasting stability.

I think with a place like Argentina you just have to accept the fact that these crises will keep happening and if you are prepared for them then you will probably come out ahead after each crash. Those that bury their head in the sand and think to themselves, "why is this happening" "X President could have prevented this, etc" are delusional. These crashes will most likely keep happening because an overhaul of the laws/taxes/social handouts, etc. can't be easily fixed.

Thanks for posting the article!

I certainly hope it means a higher exchange rate using XOOM or Transferwise as it did (at least on XOOM) untilJanuary of 2015.

After reading the article I cancelled a $320 USD TW transfer I initiated about two hours ago.

The Transferwise rate was $39,25 and the fee was $7.39 USD. (The TW rate is now $39,645). At the moment the XOOM rate was and still is $36,4737 and the fee was $6.99 USD. Both fees were for bank debits.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the rates on Monday.

Last edited:
Back