Do you fear a crash similar to 2001?

I don't view it as a slap on the face. Really he should have had a serious speech when he took office laying out the facts to the Argentine people letting them know this mess is going to take a long time to work itself out. He should have said it was an even bigger mess than he thought and he might not be able to deal with everything even in his term. I told people even when he started he won't have enough time during his term to fix everything.

I don't think this is a slap in the face. It's just reality and the truth.

Fix Everything? He has not fixed anything, nothing at all! At least nothing that I can think of that is going to impact the economy. I think one of the biggest problems that people are having is, with all the lies.

0- poverty
the peso won't devauluate
we will keep inflation in check
we will create opportunity for young people.
we will get rid of the taxes on workers profits
investment is coming to Argentina <- remember that one?

in addition

all the economic projections (even though he knew what the previous government had done) have not come true. He has not even been close.

At the beginning of the year, he was saying 10% inflation. It could be over 50% by the end of the year.
The PBI is down 2.7%

700 factories have closed since he has become president. Last month alone, 57k jobs (en blanco) were lost.

He said he assembled the best team of the last 50 years. ROLMFAO!

What happened to Caputo? Dubjone said he was the right man for the job. Now he too was fired? What is Duvjone's Agenda?

Why should we believe anything anyone from this government says?

What has he done for the economy?

Fix Everything? He has not fixed anything, nothing at all! At least nothing that I can think of that is going to impact the economy. I think one of the biggest problems that people are having is, with all the lies.

0- poverty
the peso won't devauluate
we will keep inflation in check
we will create opportunity for young people.
we will get rid of the taxes on workers profits
investment is coming to Argentina <- remember that one?

in addition

all the economic projections (even though he knew what the previous government had done) have not come true. He has not even been close.

At the beginning of the year, he was saying 10% inflation. It could be over 50% by the end of the year.
The PBI is down 2.7%

700 factories have closed since he has become president. Last month alone, 57k jobs (en blanco) were lost.

He said he assembled the best team of the last 50 years. ROLMFAO!

What happened to Caputo? Dubjone said he was the right man for the job. Now he too was fired? What is Duvjone's Agenda?

Why should we believe anything anyone from this government says?

What has he done for the economy?

TRUE. He's an utter failure. I never liked or trusted him but there was no good choice and CFK was disgusting. It looks worse than 2001. There just seems no hope.

TRUE. He's an utter failure. I never liked or trusted him but there was no good choice and CFK was disgusting. It looks worse than 2001. There just seems no hope.

As I always said, CFK was the lesser evil.

Yes, he totally failed but as sergio mentioned, he was the best hope. Do you really think if anyone else was elected that Argentina would mysteriously be in good shape today? He was too optimistic from the get go. I don't think any reasonable people believed the projections that he said. I doubt Argentina will ever get inflation below 10% a year or at least not anytime soon.

Opinions are like as*sholes. Everyone has them. Some say CFK was the lesser of the two evils. I totally disagree. What she did was totally illegal. Stealing millions upon million of dollars from the citizens of Argentina (who knows what the final tab is how much she stole for her family and her cronies). Threatening jail to economists for reporting true inflation figures. Macri is a failure. True. But you can't compare what CFK did to what Macri did.

Just do simple logic of what CFK's net worth was when her husband and her came into office. Then go back and look at their salaries and also look each year how much real estate they started buying up each year since they came into office.

Macri made a LOT of mistakes but don't delude yourself into thinking that any other Presidential candidate would have magically turned things around for Argentina. I repeat and I say it again, Argentina will ALWAYS go through these crazy unstable periods because the system is broken there. Sure they can have some stable periods but over the long haul you're going to most likely see crises like this.

The K's built a big bonfire and set it ablaze. Macri then came and poured gasoline all over it.

There are no good guys or 'lesser evils'.

The populist fake-leftist cleptocratic K mafia on the one hand and the historically bankrupt neo-liberal phlosophy of the corrupt corporate M's on the other.

While each side takes turns to pillage and rule with incompetence and corruption, the other points fingers and says 'look how bad the other side is'.

The zealot followers of each team then confidently parrot off their respective talking points with no integrity, contradicting their supposed principles from election cycle to cycle, mirroring their leaders who care for political expediency over integrity and principle.

These morally repugnant political classes on both sides of the supposed ideological divide verily dance and play their merry pantomime in front of the public like some third rate wrestling match. And the public in turn plays along with the performance when they're the ones really getting played.

All of this doesn't only apply to Argentine politics of course, but that's a story for another day.

Cheers!

:)

Damn this was a good post. I agree there are no good guys are lesser evils. Macri majorly screwed up. But I just laugh when people that are CFK supporters say that X candidate could have done better. London2Baires said it best. The K's built a big bonfire. No matter what candidate came along there was no putting out that bonfire.

I laugh when people say Argentina was crazy to accept an IMF loan. Or this or that. But then I have to ask them. What other option does a screwed up country like Argentina have??? There was no other option.

If you choose to live in Argentina long-term then you just have to accept that these crises will keep happening. It's futile to try to deny how screwed up Argentina is and this will keep happening again no matter which party is in office. It's very sad for Argentina and it's citizens. But then again until they majority shake up things, I don't see any change. I gave up on systemic change long ago and just figure it's a great country and to accept it with all it's faults.

Most of the ex-pats that I know moved out of Argentina several years ago as they saw this coming. The ex-pats that I know that remained there understand and acknowledge this phenomenon that Argentina is one screwed up country and will live with the crashes. Most of them make their income in US dollars/Euros or Sterling. The other ex-pats that have stuck it out are mostly throwing in the towel and planning to move out of Argentina. The phrase I heard them say is, "if Macri couldn't fix this country then I'm giving up".

I certainly don't expect Macri to get reelected. But I also don't expect the next President to be the cure all long-term. Sure, there will be ups and downs but there will be another crash down the road because of the horrible laws, spending, red-tape, etc. You just have to expect it and be as prepared as you can be.

Ideally you own a property out right and the good thing is there is not really leverage there so you'll own your home free and clear as most of the locals do. Even if condo fees/expensas go up it's not too much for a modest 1 or 2 bedroom property. You don't keep any of your savings in pesos and ideally you have some investments in a foreign currency (ideally US dollars). No matter what anyone says about the US dollar it's probably always going to be the world's reserve currency. Stay debt free. Watch your spending to essentials and you can still get by in Buenos Aires for not too much money compared to any other world capital city around the world.

Also, ideal if you own another property that can always generate stable and dependable income each month. That's what many local friends of mine do. They don't make too much money but many of them own another property or two and do ok. Others that are retired and drawing social security still while not too much is more than enough to live having a paid off place.

Buenos Aires IS and always will be an incredible and vibrant city. It's special and full of life and energy. Beautiful. Great restaurants. And hey even if you can't splurge on a 5 course expensive dinner. Just the simple pleasures like great coffee, a medialuna in the morning. A milenesa and empanada and a great glass of vino will go a long way!

Last edited:
Damn this was a good post. I agree there are no good guys are lesser evils. Macri majorly screwed up. But I just laugh when people that are CFK supporters say that X candidate could have done better. London2Baires said it best. The K's built a big bonfire. No matter what candidate came along there was no putting out that bonfire.

I laugh when people say Argentina was crazy to accept an IMF loan. Or this or that. But then I have to ask them. What other option does a screwed up country like Argentina have??? There was no other option.

If you choose to live in Argentina long-term then you just have to accept that these crises will keep happening. It's futile to try to deny how screwed up Argentina is and this will keep happening again no matter which party is in office. It's very sad for Argentina and it's citizens. But then again until they majority shake up things, I don't see any change. I gave up on systemic change long ago and just figure it's a great country and to accept it with all it's faults.

B.S. There was no need for an IMF loan, and one day, Macri will have a lot of explaining to do. What happened to all the Macri promises and missed projections?

B.S. There was no need for an IMF loan, and one day, Macri will have a lot of explaining to do. What happened to all the Macri promises and missed projections?

LOL. Do you really think Macri wanted to go to the IMF??? This shows just how bad of a situation Argentina is in. Sure, it's no magic bullet. But please lay out your master thesis of what Argentina should have done? CFK lied about inflation numbers. Inflation has always been high under CFK. 30% to 40% a year. Are you trying to dispute that??? She officially tried to cover it up. Macri inherited a make believe economy from CFK. That's a fact. The peso was fantastically overvalued. That's a fact. Imports were banned. That's a fact.

Macri has made mistakes but also you can't discount all of the forces against Argentina. Up until the beginning of this year most didn't think he was doing a terrible job. Just goes to show you how quickly things can snowball in Argentina. Argentina had it's worst drought in 50+ years and severely damaged agricultural output (corn and soy) and cut off a vital source of hard currency. Interest rates in the USA went up causing investors to pull money out of riskier assets like Argentina. Look how quickly things deteriorated after April.

Macri is trying to control inflation while also trimming the fiscal deficit & keeping the economy growing. Doing all three things at once is almost impossible. Getting rid of energy and transport subsidies is essential for reducing the fiscal deficit. But hikes in regulated prices added 8 points to inflation last year.

Again Macri made a LOT of mistakes but my point is that Argentina was already doomed from CFK and anyone that tries to dispute that ANY President could have turned things around is lying to themselves. You Monday morning Presidential "I could have done it better" quarterbacks really crack me up.

Reversing years of protectionism and high government spending is essential but of course not the popular thing to do. It's like I said about the locals. They need the system to be overhauled but when a President has the balls to try to do it, they complain because they aren't willing to sacrifice and want their super low subsidized electricity and gas bills.

Many people don't even understand all the hows/whys of the IMF but they just equate the last crash with the IMF and so they are against it not even fully understanding what a mess Argentina is. An IMF line of credit is the cheapest option for growth in Argentina, IMHO. You may disagree and if so, please outline your brilliant options?

Last edited:
LOL. Do you really think Macri wanted to go to the IMF??? This shows just how bad of a situation Argentina is in. Sure, it's no magic bullet. But please lay out your master thesis of what Argentina should have done? CFK lied about inflation numbers. Inflation has always been high under CFK. 30% to 40% a year. Are you trying to dispute that??? She officially tried to cover it up.

Macri has made mistakes but also you can't discount all of the forces against Argentina. Up until the beginning of this year most didn't think he was doing a terrible job. Just goes to show you how quickly things can snowball in Argentina. Argentina had it's worst drought in 50+ years and severely damaged agricultural output (corn and soy) and cut off a vital source of hard currency. Interest rates in the USA went up causing investors to pull money out of riskier assets like Argentina. Look how quickly things deteriorated after April.

Macri is trying to control inflation while also trimming the fiscal deficit and keeping the economy growing. Doing all three things at once is almost impossible. Getting rid of energy and transport subsidies is essential for reducing the fiscal deficit. But hikes in regulated prices added 8 points to inflation last year.

Again Macri made a LOT of mistakes but my point is that Argentina was already doomed from CFK and anyone that tries to dispute that ANY President could have turned things around is lying to themselves. You Monday morning Presidential "I could have done it better" quarterbacks really crack me up.

No I don't discount the forces against Argentina, however, The U.S. Federal reserve announces rate hikes well in advance, and this government knew they were coming. Why was no action taken to try to mitigate the situation? Furthermore, what happened to his campaign promise where he basically use it as his theme, claiming foreign investment capital was going to flock to Argentina, and I am not referring to the financial sector. I am referring to infrastructure. investments that would create jobs for the Argentine people is what he said was coming, and we saw zero.

Please explain in detail how Macri is trying to control inflation, because I don't see any evidence that he has done anything to that effect. You say that CFK lied about inflation. How so? That's like raising the price of something, and telling people that you are not raising their prices. I remember that, yes, there was always inflation, but nothing like this. We are projected to hit over 50%

You say Macri is keeping the economy growing? Where are you getting your numbers? The economy is not growing. It's shrinking. And it's projected to shrink even more.

Let me touch a little bit on one of Macri's biggest campaign promises. He, Eliza Carrio, and others in the Cambiemos Party promised infrastructure investment? Although there are many reasons that investments aren't coming to Argentina right now, one of the principal rules of investments is, don't invest in countries that have rampant inflation, and like you say, Argentina has a long history of inflation. So which do you think is true, that Macri is just stupid, and has no idea about economic principles, or he was lying to us?

I am going to spare you (for now) and not talk about all of Macri's lies and missed economic targets because I think you and most others are already aware of them, and they have already been repeatedly mentioned here, but I think you can understand why people are extremely angry at him. He has delivered absolutely nothing for Argentina. He has not fulfilled not one campaign promise and has not hit the mark on any of his economic projections.

Instead, every time a projection has failed, he says it's going to take longer or adjusts a target to a different number, like he did again yesterday. How long can we continue believing anything he says?

Yes, we know the previous government was bad, a lot of us voted for Macri but we jumped ship because we see what a disaster he is. Have you seen his latest approval numbers?

Last edited:
Back