Does Anyone Need Pesos?

You're right, this is an important distinction. Here it is directly from the US customs website:
https://help.cbp.gov...to-or-leave-the

"Please be aware, if persons/family members traveling together have $10,000 or more, they cannot divide the currency between each other to avoid declaring the currency."

So the question is, how do they define "group"?

Actually, the question is how they define "together."

Getting ready to sell my car and will have appx. 170.000 ARS. Looking to take USD back with me. If anyone has any ideas on how to make this happen please respond.

I should clarify that I'm looking for someone who would normally get the xoom rate to wire the money directly to me in dollars and I hand you pesos. It, at least, saves you transaction fees, and it saves me from having to take the street rate. However, I'm open to all ideas.

There are, properly speaking, 2 distinct transactions here. One is the pesos > dollars exchange, one is the transfer - of the dollars you've purchased - from here elsewhere.

It may be to your advantage to do both with one person, but it might not.

I know someone who offers a good rate and would transfer the money out for 1-2%. PM for details.

I should have clarified that I'm looking at someone who'd be willing to wire me the money directly to my U.S. account from their account -- typically someone who uses xoom to get their money here. That way I save from having to take the street rate, and you save on xoom transaction fees.

I doubt you'll find anyone who needs that many pesos and is willing to get into the wire transfer side of the transaction... there are just too many risks and it would require ALOT of trust on both sides of the deal. If you do find someone, be careful... once they have your pesos there are ways to rescind/cancel a wire transfer which could leave you with nothing. And honestly no one is going to wire you the money before you give them the pesos locally...

If you really need to do a wire transfer you might be able to find a cueva who will do that, but only at the going blue rate and with a ~3% fee on the USD amount...you'll probably net somewhere around $12,200 USD for your 170K ARS this way.

Sadly, its tough to be on the good end of the deal when you are trying to turn large amounts of ARS into USD...

Reactions: ben
I doubt you'll find anyone who needs that many pesos and is willing to get into the wire transfer side of the transaction... there are just too many risks and it would require ALOT of trust on both sides of the deal. If you do find someone, be careful... once they have your pesos there are ways to rescind/cancel a wire transfer which could leave you with nothing. And honestly no one is going to wire you the money before you give them the pesos locally...

If you really need to do a wire transfer you might be able to find a cueva who will do that, but only at the going blue rate and with a ~3% fee on the USD amount...you'll probably net somewhere around $12,200 USD for your 170K ARS this way.

Sadly, its tough to be on the good end of the deal when you are trying to turn large amounts of ARS into USD...

Yes, agreed. It was worth a shot. I'm gonna have to end up taking the blue rate I think. We'll see though. I'd be willing to break it up into smaller pieces with different people. It doesn't have to be a lump sum.

Yes, agreed. It was worth a shot. I'm gonna have to end up taking the blue rate I think. We'll see though. I'd be willing to break it up into smaller pieces with different people. It doesn't have to be a lump sum.

What's your timeframe for getting the toilet paper into dollars?

Back