Dollars in Uruguay?

I assume then that this bitcoin procedure would not work if one does not have an ARG bank account then?

Let's say I want to withdraw $3k in cash from my US bank account, can I go about doing that in Buenos Aires under the current regulations, not being a legal resident or DNI-holder? If so, how?

I assume then that this bitcoin procedure would not work if one does not have an ARG bank account then?

Let's say I want to withdraw $3k in cash from my US bank account, can I go about doing that in Buenos Aires under the current regulations, not being a legal resident or DNI-holder? If so, how?

As far as I know you'll need an argentine bank account or mercado pago account because you need a place to send the pesos. I don't believe any exchange has an option where you can pick it up in cash somewhere.

Maybe @d.gray or someone else here knows a workaround.

I don't know whether you can send dollars to yourself with WU because I've never tried it. But if you have a friend or family member who can send you the dollars, you can easily pick them up in Uruguay. I used to do this all the time during the last cepo. I would get someone to send me dollars to a Western Union in Uruguay, then I would hop over, pick them up and return in one day. The most I collected was about $3000 USD, but I'm sure you can pick up more.

One thing to note is that (in Colonia at least), the WU office would ask me to call a couple of days ahead to book the amount I would be picking up so they could make sure they had it available.
I am not sure about Uruguay, but I send myself money from my U.S. bank account every month through Western Union. Of course, I get pesos here, but I don't have to deal with banks here or ATMs. The current limit per day to send is $5000.

As far as I know you'll need an argentine bank account or mercado pago account because you need a place to send the pesos. I don't believe any exchange has an option where you can pick it up in cash somewhere.
I've only used my bank account so far, and with a service like Ripio you'll need a bank account. I'm sure there are ways to sell Bitcoins to people in Argentina for cash, but I haven't done this myself.

Excerpt from your post:
2. you open a Western Union account on line (use vpn outside u.s.)

......it looks like it is also possible for the receiver (me) to go to the WU US website and (as a guest) set up the transfer with the sender's name and phone number.

Whereas steveinbsas posted in the other thread Peso what level do you see it this year? that the receiver can set up the transfer as a guest without opening a WU account on line. Does it make a difference either way?

Last edited:
I have a system that beats them all: 0 % discount!!
How? I have an importer of autoparts that has a bank account in Miami. I transfer money from my account to his using the bank's
Zelles system, and then he gives the cash here with no discounts.

Whereas steveinbsas posted in the other thread Peso what level do you see it this year? that the receiver can set up the transfer as a guest without opening a WU account on line. Does it make a difference either way?
It sounds like it inflating a balloon by sucking in the air from the inside

I am not sure about Uruguay, but I send myself money from my U.S. bank account every month through Western Union. Of course, I get pesos here, but I don't have to deal with banks here or ATMs. The current limit per day to send is $5000.
Based on what oldgringo posted (that the exchange rate in the mid to high 70's only became available in the last ten days of October), it will be helpful to know what rate you are offered for your next WU transfer directly from your U.S. bank account.

All I can say is that it's easy to set up the transfer as a guest (as if you are the sender of the money in the U.S).

I haven't tried to do so after logging on to my WU account, but I see no reason to even try to do so.

I have the app on my phone but I will use my laptop to set up the transfers.

And, since I will be asking someone else go to a WU agency and pay for the transfers, doing as much as I can to facilitate the transfer in advance is the least I can do, though it isn't much.

Last edited:
Back