Down, down, down (a peso devaluation thread)

No Phil, our kids do not get a cent of financial aid. And only in the US is it even possible to spend over $200K on an undergraduate education. Even the state schools in the US mostly cost over $25K per year and in my stateit's takes most who graduate 5 or 6 years. This will cause the next debt crisis which is already well underway as kids and parents borrow for a degree that's worth what a high school diploma was 25 years ago.

What I meant earlier about investment being stopped dead in its tracks is that few new companies are being started for lack of funding in the US. Because of the business environment, venture capital firms are only funding companies that can be billion dollar home runs. They are no longer putting money into the smaller, yet viable, ideas that would put many back to work.

So we have an undereducated workforce losing millions of jobs to India, China and countries in Latin America, saddled with debt who can't find jobs. These are the very same kids who stumped for Obama.

jb5 said:
No Phil, our kids do not get a cent of financial aid. And only in the US is it even possible to spend over $200K on an undergraduate education.

Holy shit!

I remember my dad making me feel guilty that my five year college education (including room, board, tuition, and book rental) cost a total of FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS.

My brother (one year older) got his four year degree at the same university in four years for only FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS.

I admit I was slow but I had my own business and was driving a Porsche.:p

(In two ways I was much faster than my brother).:D

Philsword said:
Actually she or her husband had to work for years and pay into SS to get something out of it in retirement. You are describing her like she is some sort benefits cheat. I find this comment offensive and ignorant.

Of course she paid into the system, just as I have.

And if I only live to be 70 I will receive more than I have paid in.

And all the younger folks will be paying with an ever decreasing hope of receiving anywhere near the same benefits.

jb5 said:
No Phil, our kids do not get a cent of financial aid. And only in the US is it even possible to spend over $200K on an undergraduate education. Even the state schools in the US mostly cost over $25K per year and in my stateit's takes most who graduate 5 or 6 years. This will cause the next debt crisis which is already well underway as kids and parents borrow for a degree that's worth what a high school diploma was 25 years ago.

What I meant earlier about investment being stopped dead in its tracks is that few new companies are being started for lack of funding in the US. Because of the business environment, venture capital firms are only funding companies that can be billion dollar home runs. They are no longer putting money into the smaller, yet viable, ideas that would put many back to work.

So we have an undereducated workforce losing millions of jobs to India, China and countries in Latin America, saddled with debt who can't find jobs. These are the very same kids who stumped for Obama.

Investment capital firms are not putting money into small enterprises, what's Obama got to do with that? Actually investments by venture capitalists are coming back strongly, Q2 this year was at the highest level since 2008 and are close to getting back to before the recession levels.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/07/15/venture-capital-investing-up-34-percent-to-6-5-billion-in-q2/

Well an undereducated workforce or one that is educated in the wrong things is part of the problem for sure. Employers have jobs they can't fill because there are no people available with qualifications. However, most of the jobs lost to India and China are more a function labor costs than education level of our workforce. The truth is a lot of low skilled manufacturing jobs that a high school graduate could get no longer exist.

The solution to this problem isn't easy. Its clear that people entering the workforce with just a high school diploma have a hard road ahead. They need training for the future but not necessarily higher education in my opinion. Germany has an interesting approach to this problem that seems to work well for them. I agree that the cost of higher education is out of control, of course this in control of private institutions and public universities funded by state governments. I don't think the President whoever it is has much to do with this.

steveinbsas said:
You completely missed the point of my question.

It was facetious.

Of course she paid into the system, just as I have.

And if I only live to be 70 I will receive far more than I have paid in.

I didn't miss anything what you have done edited and changed your original statement. What you said originally is this.

She never paid anything into the Social Security "trust fund" did she?

This is of course is completely different than the statement you are offering now and I think the meaning is and was completely clear. When I called you out on your statements you went back and changed the post. Why can't you be truthful?

Philsword said:
I didn't miss anything what you have done edited and changed your original statement. What you said originally is this.

She never paid anything into the Social Security "trust fund" did she?

This is of course is completely different than the statement you are offering now and I think the meaning is and was completely clear. When I called you out on your statements you went back and changed the post. Why can't you be truthful?

If you want to quote me you only have to actually quote me.

I did not say what you are now asserting.

There is no social security trust fund in the sense you mean.

And pray you are not in the zone of chaos when the shit hits the fan.

Social security wont matter then.

Food storage and guns will.

steveinbsas said:
If you want to quote me you only have to actually quote me.

I did not say what you are now asserting.

There is no social security trust fund in the sense you mean.

And pray you are not in the zone of chaos when the shit hits the fan.

Social security wont matter then.

Food storage and guns will.

Steve you are being less than truthful, people can look at my post #130 which shows your original statement and people can decide for themselves. Why are you trying to prevaricate about your statements when the truth is here for all to see.

I don't know what to make of the rest of your post. It's clear that you hold some radical and strange ideas, unless you now say this was a joke as well.

Philsword said:
Actually she or her husband had to work for years and pay into SS to get something out of it in retirement. You are describing her like she is some sort benefits cheat. I find this comment offensive and ignorant.

I'm sorry I didn't respond to this post this way in the first place:

The old bitty was stupid to think the government would take care of her when she is useless.

She might get a pill, but forget about the pacemaker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z84hTRtSV1U

steveinbsas said:
I'm sorry I didn't respond to this post this way in the first place:

The old bitty was stupid to think the government would take care of her when she is useless.

She might get a pill, but forget about the pacemaker.

So I guess your saying old people should be euthanized because they are really parasites on the productive elements of society?

Philsword said:
Steve you are being less than truthful, people can look at my post #130 which shows your original statement and people can decide for themselves. Why are you trying to prevaricate about your statements when the truth is here for all to see.

I don't know what to make of the rest of your post. It's clear that you hold some radical and strange ideas, unless you now say this was a joke as well.

I hope anyone who is interested will go back and read my previous posts...if they care.

Yes, I hope everyone goes back to post #130 and sees you are not accurate.

Back