Economists warn electing Milei would spell devastation

In a room with 25 economists working on solving an economic issue there'd be 28 solutions as a few wouldn't be sure.

Even though he is rabidly anti gay and anti abortion?

Your statements are speculative at best, when you claim that Milei will be better for everyone else, especially when it contradicts what many people, including numerous economists, are saying. Furthermore, many people intend to vote against him.

You made a sweeping statement, asserting that Milei will be better for everyone else. When you combine this with your previous post, you are disregarding the significance of a woman's right to control her body and gay rights. These social issues are intertwined with the economy, particularly for those who are gay and pro-abortion. For instance, Milei might not provide job protections for gay people, or he may choose not to offer support to women seeking abortions. Therefore, I would argue that your statements are entirely incorrect.
What are Milei's policies regards homosexuals and abortion, does he intend to repeal / change laws relating to these issues?

Is there a link somewhere that points to his platform / manifesto relating to these issues?

What are Milei's policies regards homosexuals and abortion, does he intend to repeal / change laws relating to these issues?

Is there a link somewhere that points to his platform / manifesto relating to these issues?

The fact that he is anti-abortion and anti-gay raises concerns for those who care about these issues. We cannot predict what actions he might take in the future.

Hi Wrangler, I appreciate your reply.

It distresses me that people project their feelings about things onto candidates without research or empirical evidence.

Democracy and living in a democracy gives people responsibilities as well as rights. I have come to think that it is a basic responsibility do some concrete research before casting your vote.

In the spirit of knowledge and elucidation, I managed to find this from Wikipedia which although not infallible cites sources and is easily accessible to everyone:

Abortion:
"I am against abortion because I believe in the life project of others. The woman can choose about her body, but what she has inside her womb is not her body, it is another individual."[103]

In an August 2023 interview with Alejandro Fantino, he suggested holding a referendum to do so,[125][126] saying: "Just because something is legal, it does not mean that it is legitimate. I am against it (the abortion law) because it is against the right to life. ... At least I would hold a referendum. And, if the result is in my favor, the law is eliminated. But let the Argentines choose. Let's see if the Argentines believe in the murder of a defenseless human in the womb of the mother."[127][128]

Homosexuality:
On homosexuality more generally, he stated: "If you decide to be homosexual, how does that affect my life? Not at all. My liberty? Not at all. My property? Not at all. Therefore, I have nothing to say."[190] He said that the way in which sexuality is lived "is a personal choice", and added: "I don't agree at all that homosexuality is a disease."[92]

In my opinion he has integrity, intelligence and energy. Although I don't share his view on abortion at least he is up front and honest about it and how he would try and alter the law on such an important issue through a referendum.

For the record, I am pro-homosexuality and pro-abortion, given the above I would support him If I were voting in the election (which I'm not).

Hi Wrangler, I appreciate your reply.

It distresses me that people project their feelings about things onto candidates without research or empirical evidence.

Democracy and living in a democracy gives people responsibilities as well as rights. I have come to think that it is a basic responsibility do some concrete research before casting your vote.

In the spirit of knowledge and elucidation, I managed to find this from Wikipedia which although not infallible cites sources and is easily accessible to everyone:

Abortion:

Homosexuality:

In my opinion he has integrity, intelligence and energy. Although I don't share his view on abortion at least he is up front and honest about it and how he would try and alter the law on such an important issue through a referendum.

For the record, I am pro-homosexuality and pro-abortion, given the above I would support him If I were voting in the election (which I'm not).

You're entitled to your opinion, just like everyone else. The main point is that we don't know what actions he might take should he win the election. People vote based on a candidate's beliefs. While you say you are pro-abortion and pro-gay rights, you are neither a woman nor gay, so it's challenging for you to truly represent these groups.

Regarding 'records,' as you mention, what significant achievements does Milei have? He's an economist who has never held a leadership position. His role has been limited to consulting for businesses, where he didn't have the final say. In Congress, he neither co-sponsored any bills nor showed a willingness to collaborate with others. He hasn't put his proclaimed ideas into practice. On the subject of integrity, he has made controversial statements, like calling Bullrich a 'montonera pone bomba' and labeling Lula a communist. Whether true or not, such behavior may not be deemed appropriate. There are probably more instances from his past that I haven't mentioned here, too many to list. Therefore, regarding integrity, I must respectfully disagree.

The main point is that we don't know what actions he might take should he win the election.
Could you please express your point of view in the first person? Your use of 'we' always leaves me puzzled, as it's not clear who this collective 'we' refers to. Maybe someone here has a clear picture of what actions he might take.

Milei plans to break relations with the vatican? Maybe he change his mind now that Pope Francis has recently approved for Travestis to be baptized..!

Could you please express your point of view in the first person? Your use of 'we' always leaves me puzzled, as it's not clear who this collective 'we' refers to. Maybe someone here has a clear picture of what actions he might take.

Everything I mention regarding potential actions Milei might take is based on his statements or positions, such as being anti-gay or anti-abortion. Therefore, these concerns do carry some merit. When I say 'we,' I refer to all the people who have concerns about him, including those who will not vote for him and even some who will.

Hi Wrangler thank you for your reply.

You're entitled to your opinion, just like everyone else. The main point is that we don't know what actions he might take should he win the election.

No one can know for sure what actions any politician will take. Where does that leave you, abstaining I suppose.

People vote based on a candidate's beliefs. While you say you are pro-abortion and pro-gay rights, you are neither a woman nor gay, so it's challenging for you to truly represent these groups.

You illustrate my point. You come to a conclusion without evidence.

Please reply quoting the parts of my post where I state my gender or sexual orientation, or where I claim to represent the gay or the women's communities?

It would be like me replying to you as if you are gay or a woman or transgender or indigenous or any number of things, that I can not legitimately infer from your post.

Regarding 'records,' as you mention, what significant achievements does Milei have? He's an economist who has never held a leadership position. His role has been limited to consulting for businesses, where he didn't have the final say. In Congress, he neither co-sponsored any bills nor showed a willingness to collaborate with others. He hasn't put his proclaimed ideas into practice. On the subject of integrity, he has made controversial statements, like calling Bullrich a 'montonera pone bomba' and labeling Lula a communist. Whether true or not, such behavior may not be deemed appropriate. There are probably more instances from his past that I haven't mentioned here, too many to list. Therefore, regarding integrity, I must respectfully disagree.

Economics, I agree with you, is not a profession of particular note, however he has worked for several companies in senior roles and seems to have had a varied and relatively distinguished career, this puts him above Massa in my opinion, who has been a politician or politicians aide since 1989; since he was 17.

As far as Milei's integrity in congress, as a libertarian, which bills would you have had him co-sponsor or collaborate with given the policies are essentially antithetical to his beliefs?

Every candidate trash talks and mischaracterizes their competitors, it is part of running for political office. Milei is particularly colourful. For me it shows that he has personality and doesn't care what others think of him, a plus in my book, but this might put some off.

When I say 'we,' I refer to all the people who have concerns about him, including those who will not vote for him and even some who will.
We, the people currently drinking coffee at Bonafide Cafe, still find your liberal use of plural pronouns a bit perplexing. In the future, when you use 'we', could you please clarify right away whom you are referring to?

Back