El Adios a Nestor

And regardless of whatever my personal feelings about the K's are - I can't imagine how difficult it must be to sit for hours directly behind the coffin of your husband while people pay respects. Grief is such a private thing and to have to be strong enough to be in public - well, I give CFK a lot of respect for being able to do it.

French jurist said:
Such a moment should be about what brings people together, not what divides them.

Exactly the point I tried to make in a thread now closed: this is a time to include, not exclude.

It's a unique opportunity for sitting presidents, former presidents, would-be-presidents, vicepresidents, and officeholders of all levels to come together and try to make a fresh start.

citygirl said:
And regardless of whatever my personal feelings about the K's are - I can't imagine how difficult it must be to sit for hours directly behind the coffin of your husband while people pay respects. Grief is such a private thing and to have to be strong enough to be in public - well, I give CFK a lot of respect for being able to do it.

I can't imagine it either. At first I kept thinking how exhausted they must be, but after watching the video that Gringoboy posted I have to imagine that seeing that outpouring of love and support must have been comforting.

citygirl said:

People do seem to forget that there's a family grieving amidst this mess. Personally, I've been a little horrified by the tasteless reaction to his death on these boards (glee, macabre jokes, comparing him to Saddam Hussein??) Haven't these posters ever lost a parent or spouse? I certainly didn't agree with K politics, but having lost my parents the same way when I was Florencia's age, my heart goes out to the family -- processing that shock and grief are hard enough, but having to stand in front of the nation 24 hours after receiving the news? Politics aside, I admire the grace this wife-of-35-years and 20-year-old girl are showing.

starlucia said:
People do seem to forget that there's a family grieving amidst this mess. Personally, I've been a little horrified by the tasteless reaction to his death on these boards (glee, macabre jokes, comparing him to Saddam Hussein??) Haven't these posters ever lost a parent or spouse? I certainly didn't agree with K politics, but having lost my parents the same way when I was Florencia's age, my heart goes out to the family -- processing that shock and grief are hard enough, but having to stand in front of the nation 24 hours after receiving the news? Politics aside, I admire the grace this wife-of-35-years and 20-year-old girl are showing.

Thank you for your beautiful post and words. A death is the most tragic thing and especially for one who is so much loved by many like Nestor Kirchner was .
I have been very disappointed by some of the remarks and insensitive threads at this time. This is certainly not the right time for this .

I also like to comment that I have found Nestor Kirchners passing to be handled beautifully by the State and wish Christina the force to continue working for all Argentinians.

There is a personal component and I too find it a bit inappropriate to speak ill of the man personally (never having met him).

HOWEVER, his record as president is fair game. And if you're going to allow threads that seek to praise him or proclaim that he saved the economy, you can't be surprised that there are those who feel differently. And again, anything he did as a public figure is completely open to be discussed by anyone at any time. Personally, I don't think there is anything inappropriate about that.

Back