Elliptical Trainer

Davidglen77

Registered
So after living in Buenos Aires for 5 years, I have gained a total of 20kg to a whopping 95kg. I can't believe it! I was always in such good physical condition, and the first year that I lived here I didn't gain any weight. But once all of my problems started, business, stress, plus as some of you know I owned a large candy store and vinoteca, well that did the trick, so here I am 20kg (44lbs) heavier than I used to be. So now that my life is getting back in order, I am calm, much less stressed, have a wonderful partner, my next project is ME.

So what I am asking is if anybody has an elliptical trainer for sale. I was looking around at new ones, there is a big range of prices, from $700 to over $2000 pesos. I know a lot of people buy them and they end up collecting dust or being used as clothes racks, but when I had one back in my New York apartment I used it almost every day.
I am not a fan a gyms and from the ones I have been to here in BA I was not very impressed anyway.
Soon I will be back to my old self both emotionally and physically!

There are no good elliptical trainers in Argentina at average gyms, like PRECORE,
it doesn't work if it's not good. Try to walk at Palermo park more,
control the number of medilunas intake and sweet Argentine juice, cut down the lousy free bread on the restaurant tables, go to bed early before 11pm. You will
get your weight back, that works for me.

I know you said you hate gyms, but have you ever checked out Sport Club gym? (SportClub.com.ar) I live in Belgrano, and the one nearest to my house is fantastic. They have bikes, treadmills, and ellipticals. It has a pool as well, but in true Argentine fashion it's not finished yet. :)

Anyway, I really enjoy it. It's $300 pesos to sign up, and $300 pesos per month, assuming you let them charge your debit/credit card. In cash, it will cost you $600 pesos per month, and the registration fee will be $600.

The facility is quite nice, and doesn't differ from nice gyms that I've been to in the U.S. The nicest one had an olympic-sized pool, indoor track, about 5 basketball courts... but that was the recreation facility at the University of Missouri. I don't think that counts!

So, if you don't find anything, you might want to check them out. I've been very pleased.

I am interested in buying one too so please do post if you find a good one that comes with a warranty. I would tend to think the cheapest ones are to be avoided.

bradlyhale said:
I know you said you hate gyms, but have you ever checked out Sport Club gym? (SportClub.com.ar) I live in Belgrano, and the one nearest to my house is fantastic. They have bikes, treadmills, and ellipticals. It has a pool as well, but in true Argentine fashion it's not finished yet. :)

Anyway, I really enjoy it. It's $300 pesos to sign up, and $300 pesos per month, assuming you let them charge your debit/credit card. In cash, it will cost you $600 pesos per month, and the registration fee will be $600.

The facility is quite nice, and doesn't differ from nice gyms that I've been to in the U.S. The nicest one had an olympic-sized pool, indoor track, about 5 basketball courts... but that was the recreation facility at the University of Missouri. I don't think that counts!

So, if you don't find anything, you might want to check them out. I've been very pleased.

Thanks for the info, I know Sport Club and Megatlon which is their competition. I think the prices they charge are outrageous, and like you said, there is always some type of "project" going on which renders part of the facility useless. Also from people I know who go to both of these chains, the air conditioning is always lacking, during peak times you have to wait and wait for the machines, and since I am not a weightlifter, with a nice elliptical machine and a streching mat on the floor of my bedroom I am set. I can also adjust the air conditioning as I wish. So thanks but no thanks I prefer to exercise at home like I used to, and look forward to eventually once again weighing 75kg. I know it will happen, may take a while though.......

I soo feel you brother.
In he states i used to mtb allot and had a daily rutine of a 14 mile loop. Aside from all the shredding in the trails.
I weighed 148 lbs and was in prime shape.
I am embarrased to say that i now weigh 85 kilos and went as high as 97 kilos.
My MTB screams at me every time i walk past it . I have forced myself out on the bike a few times and did 35km runs surprisingly well considering im up to almos 2 packs of smokes a day.
Stress really plays a part i feel.
Have you considered bicycling ?

Fabe said:
I soo feel you brother.
In he states i used to mtb allot and had a daily rutine of a 14 mile loop. Aside from all the shredding in the trails.
I weighed 148 lbs and was in prime shape.
I am embarrased to say that i now weigh 85 kilos and went as high as 97 kilos.
My MTB screams at me every time i walk past it . I have forced myself out on the bike a few times and did 35km runs surprisingly well considering im up to almos 2 packs of smokes a day.
Stress really plays a part i feel.
Have you considered bicycling ?

I was never much of a bike rider, being from New York City, I always found it scary and I don't think I would even attempt it here. I knew too many people who had bad accidents and had a highschool classmate unfortunately killed on a motorcycle. I have gone bike riding in parks, but I live in Congreso, and don't really have a nice park close by. Slowly but surely I am getting back on track, I try and keep away from sweets but it's very hard. Luckily I don't really have any other bad habits than candy, I don't smoke, don't drink soda (coca-cola seems like it's the most popular drink in Argentina) and I rarely consume alcohol. One thing that gets me in trouble here is the bakeries, I love alfajores, conitos de dulce de leche, mil hojas, ok I am going to stop now!

Davidglen77 said:
Thanks for the info, I know Sport Club and Megatlon which is their competition. I think the prices they charge are outrageous, and like you said, there is always some type of "project" going on which renders part of the facility useless. Also from people I know who go to both of these chains, the air conditioning is always lacking, during peak times you have to wait and wait for the machines, and since I am not a weightlifter, with a nice elliptical machine and a streching mat on the floor of my bedroom I am set. I can also adjust the air conditioning as I wish. So thanks but no thanks I prefer to exercise at home like I used to, and look forward to eventually once again weighing 75kg. I know it will happen, may take a while though.......

They're not outrageous. I paid $55 a month for a similar gym...in Missouri. Given that I'm in Buenos Aires, I think the extra $15 is justified.

I don't care about air conditioning because I prefer to break a sweat. Are you going to work out or not?

All of the machines have a time limit, which everyone seems to respect. I've not had any problems getting a machine. I do an hour, however. 20 minutes on the bike, 20 minutes on the elliptical, and 20 minutes on the treadmill. The staff at the Belgrano location is super friendly. It kind of scares me how nice they are. They have classes too. A wonderful sauna. It's honestly worth every peso.

And you are such a whiner. :p

bradlyhale said:
They're not outrageous. I paid $55 a month for a similar gym...in Missouri. Given that I'm in Buenos Aires, I think the extra $15 is justified.

I don't care about air conditioning because I prefer to break a sweat. Are you going to work out or not?

All of the machines have a time limit, which everyone seems to respect. I've not had any problems getting a machine. I do an hour, however. 20 minutes on the bike, 20 minutes on the elliptical, and 20 minutes on the treadmill. The staff at the Belgrano location is super friendly. It kind of scares me how nice they are. They have classes too. A wonderful sauna. It's honestly worth every peso.

And you are such a whiner. :p

Hey babe, I wouldn't call it whining, I call the shots as I see them. I have no idea what the gyms are like in Missouri, but in New York, there was one accross from my building, a New York Sports Club, (I would buy guest passes to use the pool sometimes) Membership cost 75U$ per month, and NO sign up fee and you could cancel anytime. And it was top of the line, tons of machines, weights, huge pool, sauna, steam rooms, classes, massage, reiki, you name it. And you didn't need a membership card as they had a fingerprint reader. I still didn't do my exercise there though. And most people in gyms like air conditioning, a big gym can end up smelling like a zoo if it's too hot. Also $300 pesos is A LOT of money for people here who earn pesos, it's like being charged $300 dollars if you live in the states.

300 pesos (and certainly) 600 pesos is absolutely ludicrous for anyone earning an argentine wage. They do offer decent discounts, however, depending on what company you (or your partner) works for. I agree that getting on a bike, treadmill or any other machine can be nigh-on impossible in the evenings...

Back