Elliptical Trainer

Davidglen77 said:
And you didn't need a membership card as they had a fingerprint reader.

Oooh, a fingerprint reader. Wow. :rolleyes:

Well, clearly, people are paying the $300 per month, otherwise there wouldn't be anyone there to take up all of the machines, right? ;) And the $300 pesos is for access to the entire network of gyms they have. For just a membership at the local club, it costs $250 ARS.

I don't think it's 'ludicrous' if you have access to a pool, sauna, classes, and their equipment, which is a European line. It's pretty top-notch.

I go every day, and I never have a problem getting a machine. Never. Ever. Nunca. Jamás.

David,
HAAHAHHA !.
Oh man , what killed me were the empanadas. Back on long island or USA for that matter the closest i had to empanadas were jamaican meatpies.
In the months i was waiting for the evection to get handed down , I did absolutely no phisical activity. Id sit infront of the Tv watching cronicatv , eating baskets of empanadas and smoking like a maniac.
Take a look , somewhere i saw that either in parque lezama , or near congreso there is a mtb trail . Think I saw it on google earth.
I couldnt stand seeing what a fatbody i had become. IT still bothers me to no end. I need to get back on the ball with this

bradlyhale said:
Oooh, a fingerprint reader. Wow. :rolleyes:

Well, clearly, people are paying the $300 per month, otherwise there wouldn't be anyone there to take up all of the machines, right? ;) And the $300 pesos is for access to the entire network of gyms they have. For just a membership at the local club, it costs $250 ARS.

I go every day, and I never have a problem getting a machine. Never. Ever. Nunca. Jamás.

Yes, ooohhh a fingerprint reader, that is so people don't have to keep replacing their cards when they get lost and stolen, which here the gyms love so they can charge people around $100 pesos each time for a replacement. I know you probably wouldn't be able to use it though, because that would mean you would have to take your finger out of your butt :p for a moment.

My partner goes to Megatlon and he pays a lot for it, even with a nice discount from his employer. He likes going to the gym but always tells me about how many machines are broken, long waits, no air conditioning, but he's used to it. It's not for me though.

Maybe it's different in Belgrano, the gyms here where we live in the center are packed. And yes, people do pay to use them obvioiusly, however that still doesn't make them worth it IMHO.

Fabe said:
David,
HAAHAHHA !.
Oh man , what killed me were the empanadas. Back on long island or USA for that matter the closest i had to empanadas were jamaican meatpies.
In the months i was waiting for the evection to get handed down , I did absolutely no phisical activity. Id sit infront of the Tv watching cronicatv , eating baskets of empanadas and smoking like a maniac.
Take a look , somewhere i saw that either in parque lezama , or near congreso there is a mtb trail . Think I saw it on google earth.
I couldnt stand seeing what a fatbody i had become. IT still bothers me to no end. I need to get back on the ball with this

Fabe, I know what you mean, I was empanada crazy for a long time. But now I limit myself to 3 maximum. Empanadas are calorie bombs, but they are sooo delicious. It doesn't help that I have to walk by La Americana on Av. Callao everyday either. So tempting!

Re: The empanadas.
Its that its so friggen easy to realize you just ate 26 empanadas !!!!!
Me too , I actually wrote them off .

Walking, cycling and jogging are free of charge.
Given the choice, I cycle now and after a month of cycling to work every day, I've already noticed a difference both mentally and physically.
Mind you, I'm only 65 Kg.

It is really difficult to get out and jog/run if you don't live near a park. Running on sidewalks is more like going through an obstical course!
I used to belong to NY Sports Club when I lived in Brooklyn and it was fantastic! $20 a month b/c my company had a deal with them, $75 without the deal.
While searching for a decent gym here in Caballito I found one that was USD$100 a month. It was an okay club however it could have had better machines and a more updated facility. I just couldn't justify paying so much esp when earning pesos.
I gained A LOT of weight while being here over the course of 2 years. As I used to be in good shape, it frustrated me that I couldn't find an outlet for exercise that I'm comfortable with. Bike riding is dangerous - there is a terrible accident at my corner at least 2 times a month - cars hitting so hard they flip over. Scary. My one saving grace is walking the dog three times a day.
Empanadas are the devil! ;o)
Best of luck - I feel your pain!!

I used to workout outside all of the time, specifically the ecological reserve, and the Palermo Parks. After a while, though, this becomes a pain in the rear. It's a major hindrance if I have to take a bus or a subway to the park/reserve, sweat for an hour, and then have to take a bus or a subway back. It's easy to make excuses and think, "OK, not today." Work out time, stretching time, plus transportation, means you're spending the entire night working out too.

As far as walking... Well, if you can go to a nice place to do it, like the ecological reserve or the Palermo parks, then great. You'll have the same obstacles as I did with running in them. I wouldn't walk around the city. I'm stressed out enough during the day, and walking down Callao to break a sweat would probably add to that stress.

The Sport Club I go to is two blocks from my apartment in Belgrano. So, no excuses ! Now I don't have to take a subway, and I don't have to buy a water somewhere afterward because I'm dying of thirst. I can just walk home two blocks and drink all of the water I want! If I were to go run Monday through Friday in the bosques, I would spend $5.00 ARS on the subway tickets, and about $6.00 ARS on flavored water after the run. Monthly, that's $220 pesos. So, I'm paying $80 pesos more for convenience, and I'm sure my joints are happier as well.

Back