Empty Bars And Restaurants

I've noticed a difference. It is expensive to go out if you earn pesos. With my local friends here we used to go out to eat once in a while — now it's always lunch or dinner gatherings at home pretty much all the time. But they are making investments to buy land, property or construction materials to improve their homes.

In Argentina, right now I just buy dollars and wait till everything goes to h.....

I see fewer people in restos during the week I started a Personal boycott hoping that restos will feel the pinch and increase 2x1 offers, and fixed menu at low prices, etc. during the week to pay the rent...!! :rolleyes: Please join my campaign....!!

I am guessing the increasing rent mainly due to the blue rate has something to do with it as well, this will hurt if you are renting and earning in pesos

April is semi-low season but there is way more temporary appartments on offer then there were last season

I see fewer people in restos during the week I started a Personal boycott hoping that restos will feel the pinch and increase 2x1 offers, and fixed menu at low prices, etc. during the week to pay the rent...!! :rolleyes: Please join my campaign....!!

Ha ha, you know that's not how things work here, right? Restaurants feeling the pinch will just raise prices, thus continuing the cycle.

I am guessing the increasing rent mainly due to the blue rate has something to do with it as well, this will hurt if you are renting and earning in pesos

April is semi-low season but there is way more temporary appartments on offer then there were last season

Inflation is the problem for those earning in peos. The blue rate is only a problem if you are earning pesos and dumb enough to pay rent in dollars.

Why go out ? I cook at home , and it is better than restaurants. But , yes , folks seem to be hoarding those pesos to buy dollars.....

But are price going up ? you bet !!

Generally in times of high economic uncertainty people tend to hang low and see what happens. We are watching our spending closely and looking to buy property. Also, in speaking with my friends here (both expat and Arg) the eating out prices are getting absurd. Comparing what you get in the restaurant you can eat the same thing at home for about 35% of the menu price.

When I make it at home I know I've washed my hands and my steak hasn't landed on the floor. Even my inline group that skates from Belgrano to Tigre every Sunday AM has stopped kidding me about the food I pack along instead of buying snacks on the way and lunch at the end.

Damn, I wish I had been this frugal when I was younger!

I've noticed much the same thing. I sometimes work in Palermo viejo (not too far from Plaza Serrano) and a lot of the shops on one of the streets I walk down (Miss Sixty, a bohemian-type clothes shop next to it and a couple of others) never seem to have anyone in them anymore. Also, the three stores on the corners of Malabia and El Salvador all closed down last month within a couple of weeks of each other. I also went to buy some trousers for work a couple of weeks ago and was gutted to discover that the "Miercoles Mujer" offer has basically been scrapped (the only reason I opened an account with Rio!) and I've noticed that a lot of the other miercoles mujer-type offers with other banks have stopped too. I'm guessing this is having a major impact, especially on the shoppings. I haven't noticed it too much with restaurants (though we eat out less and less now) and I've even noticed a few new places opening (an american diner type place, Le Pain quotidien, etc). I wonder how they'll fare...

Generally in times of high economic uncertainty people tend to hang low and see what happens. We are watching our spending closely and looking to buy property. Also, in speaking with my friends here (both expat and Arg) the eating out prices are getting absurd. Comparing what you get in the restaurant you can eat the same thing at home for about 35% of the menu price.

When I make it at home I know I've washed my hands and my steak hasn't landed on the floor. Even my inline group that skates from Belgrano to Tigre every Sunday AM has stopped kidding me about the food I pack along instead of buying snacks on the way and lunch at the end.

Damn, I wish I had been this frugal when I was younger!

You think you can maintain a building, staff and taxes and the like on the remaining 65%?

Dont think those numbers changed a lot.

The only place I frequently go to and is doing fine is Kansas San Isidro

Inflation is the problem for those earning in peos. The blue rate is only a problem if you are earning pesos and dumb enough to pay rent in dollars.

A small part of the economy is linked to the blue rate so I wouldnt say the big majority of people are just unlucky. The one that rents a place wants to get dollar and about 18 months ago 2000 peso was about 500 dollar and now 500 dollar is about 4000 peso. That's a100% increase in just 18 months.

Back