Ex asking for $600,000 ARS / $2150 usd as child support

Do you have a salary here? I don't think so. The % was in the abolished law.
No I don’t. I just talked to her this weekend and she said she would accept $1500. So i think that’s where we are headed.

Most people in Argentina, don't even come remotely close to making 600,000 pesos a month. I feel like this bill is severely inflated, however, they are your kids. As long as you know the money is being put to good use, primarily for your kids, then I would be O.K with this.

She agreed to $1500 but then then next day asked for $400 more for an air conditioner. I said no and then she threw a fit, and hired a lawyer, and is now threatening to seek 20 percent of my salary or sue in in California (where we were married).

She agreed to $1500 but then then next day asked for $400 more for an air conditioner. I said no and then she threw a fit, and hired a lawyer, and is now threatening to seek 20 percent of my salary or sue in in California (where we were married).

Damn you are playing with fire with the California business; cough up that ac!

She will not be able to sue for alimony in California, as you're not domiciled there and weren't when you divorced. She's gravely mistaken about the law on that.

However, it's possible that she could have a claim to half the income you made while you were married and domiciled in California. With the necessary work to get at your records for that, and the divorce already having taken place in Argentina, there's no chance of a contingency attorney, or that she'd never be able to afford to hire an attorney here to do that work. Assuming a final divorce settlement hasn't been signed, however, there's a decent chance that she doesn't even need to file that lawsuit here, she could do it in Argentina, and the Argentine judge would simply apply California law.

Her lawyer is her cousin, which is so weird because I know her cousin, her child, and her parents well. We would spend Christmas and new year’s together, and I would play with her kid. So awkward to be adverse now.

She will not be able to sue for alimony in California, as you're not domiciled there and weren't when you divorced. She's gravely mistaken about the law on that.

However, it's possible that she could have a claim to half the income you made while you were married and domiciled in California. With the necessary work to get at your records for that, and the divorce already having taken place in Argentina, there's no chance of a contingency attorney, or that she'd never be able to afford to hire an attorney here to do that work. Assuming a final divorce settlement hasn't been signed, however, there's a decent chance that she doesn't even need to file that lawsuit here, she could do it in Argentina, and the Argentine judge would simply apply California law.
We were married less than three months in California when she all of sudden left. She told me let’s stay together but in Buenos Aires, so I signed the paperwork saying she could leave the country with my kids. Then as soon she landed safely in Buenos Aires she broke up with me.

But didn't she break up with you in Lima during the early months of the pandemic? And then didn't you get back together in Argentina and have the second child?

But didn't she break up with you in Lima during the early months of the pandemic? And then didn't you get back together in Argentina and have the second child?
Yeah and we got back together, I lived in her hometown about a year than CABA than California

Back